The Student Room Group

Help! I don't know what to do next.

I feel like i'm in a bit of dilemma and I really need some advice on what I should. I've resat Yr 13 and was predicted to get A*AA in my A levels but due to personal and health related issues I was unable to do as well I could have done and I ended up getting BBE.

My firm choice was Computer Science at Manchester University but I ended up getting into my insurance offer after not doing so well which is Computer Science at UCLan, which I chose mainly because it was the closest uni towards me. I should be happy with this but some reason I don't, I had very high hopes and I feel like I've let myself down and ruined my future ambitions

I've spoken to my tutors, family and friends and they've all offered different suggestions on how I should proceed. I've narrowed it down to 3 options but I need help in deciding which would be the best choice.

1. I redo my A levels again for the third time
With new subjects or a new college maybe, but I'll likely need to pay quite a lot for this, I'm confident I can achieve my targets now that my problems are sorted , but is the cost and another year worth it?

2. I stick to my Insurance choice at UCLan
I know I want to get into post graduate study at a top Russell Group university and if I can hopefully get a 1st in my UCLan degree maybe this could allow me to achieve this, but if I'm unable to enter Post graduate study, my undergraduate UCLan degree could lower my job prospects.

3.I look for a better University through Clearing
I've checked Lancaster, Liverpool, Sheffield but my grades are too low to even contemplate applying, is there any Russell Group or top 20 even 30 that will accept me for a Computer Science related course even a foundation year wouldn't be terrible in my position, but how much of an improvement would this be on my current offer?

I have no idea which would be the best for me in the long run so if anyone can offer any words of advice it will be really appreciated.
Original post by ionic285
I feel like i'm in a bit of dilemma and I really need some advice on what I should. I've resat Yr 13 and was predicted to get A*AA in my A levels but due to personal and health related issues I was unable to do as well I could have done and I ended up getting BBE.

My firm choice was Computer Science at Manchester University but I ended up getting into my insurance offer after not doing so well which is Computer Science at UCLan, which I chose mainly because it was the closest uni towards me. I should be happy with this but some reason I don't, I had very high hopes and I feel like I've let myself down and ruined my future ambitions

I've spoken to my tutors, family and friends and they've all offered different suggestions on how I should proceed. I've narrowed it down to 3 options but I need help in deciding which would be the best choice.

With new subjects or a new college maybe, but I'll likely need to pay quite a lot for this, I'm confident I can achieve my targets now that my problems are sorted , but is the cost and another year worth it?

I know I want to get into post graduate study at a top Russell Group university and if I can hopefully get a 1st in my UCLan degree maybe this could allow me to achieve this, but if I'm unable to enter Post graduate study, my undergraduate UCLan degree could lower my job prospects.

I've checked Lancaster, Liverpool, Sheffield but my grades are too low to even contemplate applying, is there any Russell Group or top 20 even 30 that will accept me for a Computer Science related course even a foundation year wouldn't be terrible in my position, but how much of an improvement would this be on my current offer?

I have no idea which would be the best for me in the long run so if anyone can offer any words of advice it will be really appreciated.

Hi,
These are still really good grades don't be too dissappointed. We have spaces in Computers Science via clearing http://www.kingston.ac.uk/courses/find-a-course/undergraduate/a-z/c/?entryyearid=4 Here's a link to information on the course. Our clearing hotline is
0800 0483 334 if you want to chat to anyone.

Emily
Student ambassador

I'd take the offer. Redoing your A levels for the third time isn't going to help your application to the kind of universities you aspire to. A bird in the hand is likely to be worth two in the bush.
Hello

First of all, congratulations on your results!

It's worth giving our Clearing helpline a call on 0116 373 6000. We do have Computer Science courses available. They are all accredited by the British Computer Society and they even fund an award for the most promising first year student. Lots of our courses can include a year abroad or a year in industry too.

Good luck and let us know if we can help,

Vicky
University of Leicester
Reply 4
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I'd take the offer. Redoing your A levels for the third time isn't going to help your application to the kind of universities you aspire to. A bird in the hand is likely to be worth two in the bush.

I have big dreams but maybe I have to be realistic
Thank you for advice really means a lot
I have big dreams but maybe I have to be realistic
Thank you for advice really means a lot

You're welcome. Good luck.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending