The Student Room Group

AS Maths: Would you reccomend a resit ?

I need an A in maths next year, This year I got B overall.

C1- 70
C2-63
S1-80

should i resit a module ?
and if i don't resist, is it still possible for me to get an A overall next year ?
If so, how many marks/UMS will i need in each ?
Original post by money-for-all
x

you have 213 at the minute and you need 480 over the 6 modules for an A. So 267 still needed, so an average of 89 per module next year

if you want an A id seriously consider retaking C1 + C2. It seems daunting but honestly once you cover C3 + C4 you'll find the AS modules much easier. Imagine sitting your gcse maths again next month after revising for a week or two, pretty easy right? well thats kind of what sitting AS maths after learning A2 will be like. You could get 90s in them next year if you work hard and revise for them (lots of people decide to resit then get cocky, dont do that)

good luck :biggrin:
Original post by DylanJ42
you have 213 at the minute and you need 480 over the 6 modules for an A. So 267 still needed, so an average of 89 per module next year

if you want an A id seriously consider retaking C1 + C2. It seems daunting but honestly once you cover C3 + C4 you'll find the AS modules much easier. Imagine sitting your gcse maths again next month after revising for a week or two, pretty easy right? well thats kind of what sitting AS maths after learning A2 will be like. You could get 90s in them next year if you work hard and revise for them (lots of people decide to resit then get cocky, dont do that)

good luck :biggrin:

Thanks for your advice!

Do you know when the deadline date is to register for a resit ?
And when should i inform my college about the resist ?
Should I inform them during enrolment? or next year ?
Reply 3
mine were these:
C1- 78
C2- 68
S1- 79
This added up to a B.

I'm honestly thinking of retaking all three because I also need an A overall next year.
Reply 4
Help mee I got a C overall
C1: 68 C
C2: 56 D
S1:64 C
Im hoping for an A for maths next year..helpp should i resit c2? What should i do
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MA1998
mine were these:
C1- 78
C2- 68
S1- 79
This added up to a B.

I'm honestly thinking of retaking all three because I also need an A overall next year.

Original post by tue
Im hoping for an A for maths next year..helpp should i resit c2? What should i do

my advice to all of you is resit C1 and C2 and unless you are doing S2 don't bother with S1
Most of what you have done in C1&2 will be revised and extended in c3&4 so the revision load will be small and improvement very possible.*
Reply 6
Original post by gdunne42
my advice to all of you is resit C1 and C2 and unless you are doing S2 don't bother with S1
Most of what you have done in C1&2 will be revised and extended in c3&4 so the revision load will be small and improvement very possible.*

But wouldn't the B I got in S1 drag my grade down later?
Original post by MA1998
But wouldn't the B I got in S1 drag my grade down later?

Doubt it, 79 ums is a decent score and revising for S1 that you won't be doing any work on in class has the potential to waste a lot of time that could be spent on other units and provide no improvement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
AS Grades

C1 : 80 (A)
C2: 50 (D)
M1 33 (U)

Resat all this year

C1 : 90 (A)
C2: 80 (A)
M1: 82 (A)

S1: 86 (A)
C3: 73 (B)
C4: 74 (B)

Went from a D to A
It can be done by doing lots of past papers and going over the topics
Reply 9
Original post by gdunne42
Doubt it, 79 ums is a decent score and revising for S1 that you won't be doing any work on in class has the potential to waste a lot of time that could be spent on other units and provide no improvement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you... I just have one more question.

Do you know how far off an A I was in each module and overall in terms of marks?
Original post by MA1998
Thank you... I just have one more question.

Do you know how far off an A I was in each module and overall in terms of marks?

Haven't seen the exact breakdowns so roughly 1 or 2 in C1 and S1 maybe 8 or so in C2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for your advice!

Do you know when the deadline date is to register for a resit ?
And when should i inform my college about the resist ?
Should I inform them during enrolment? or next year ?

if you're doing alevels in a school just talk to a teacher once you go back in september and they'll help you. In my school we had a teacher who also dealt with exams etc who we talked to for resits
I need an A in maths next year, This year I got B overall.

C1- 70
C2-63
S1-80

should i resit a module ?
and if i don't resist, is it still possible for me to get an A overall next year ?
If so, how many marks/UMS will i need in each ?

Defo resit C1/C2, I resat C1 and went from 62 to 92, it will pay off and it will be so easy when it comes to revision for these exams
Original post by razoba
AS Grades

M1 33 (U)

Resat all this year

Went from a D to A

Hi there, do you have an email I could talk to you via? I really need some help with how I go about year 13 and my current AS grades. Thankyou very much :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by ismailghani7863
Hi there, do you have an email I could talk to you via? I really need some help with how I go about year 13 and my current AS grades. Thankyou very much :smile:

The main thing with Maths is practice practice practice.....

You will get to know the format of the majority of the questions pretty quickly
Like @DylanJ42 mentioned, doing C3 and C4 simplifies C1 and C2 so it becomes intuative to get an A in them, given if you put the time and effort to learn C3 and C4 very well.

I think also, you need to adapt your learning a bit to get higher marks.
Something like always practicing past papers and going through every textbook question would help as well.

:smile: that's all I can say.
Original post by razoba
AS Grades

M1 33 (U)

Resat all this year

Went from a D to A

So you did AS and A2 exams in one year. How did you manage to do that? Wasn't it stressful because I am thinking of doing the same. How did you manage your time if you're doing other subjects?
Original post by razoba
The main thing with Maths is practice practice practice.....

You will get to know the format of the majority of the questions pretty quickly

yeah I understand the practicing in maths but it's other things, could I contact you anyhow?
Reply 18
Once you start doing complex maths in C3 and C4

C1 and c2 seem a lot easier.

Just my take on it
Original post by tue

Once you've done C3 and C4, C1 and C2 will be a doddle so it's worth re-sitting them

Quick Reply

Latest