The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tiddlyoo
My firm offer was AAA and I got A*A*B, was rejected. I don't really like my insurance though, so I called SOAS and have a provisional offer from them. However, I don't want to ask to be released by my insurance yet because I have a re-mark pending on the exam that caused that B and might get into my firm yet. If I have my insurance release me into Clearing will that mean my firm doesn't have their records on me any more? Help! (Paging PQ especially...)

yes, you d have to go back through clearing again to get into your firm.
Original post by Vincenttkso97
Ohh I thought it was just 340 overall, most of my marks come from my AS papers so I don't think its such a good idea after all :redface:

I'm sorry, but I'm glad you got an answer anyway :h: . Good luck!
Original post by Naveed Rahman
Im torn! If I go into clearing, and choose surrey, and my remark comes back and i have the grades to go to my firm choice (southampton) will accepting surrey via clearing mean I have to go there? Or will I still be able to go to southampton if i get the last grade to the B required?

If your remark comes back UCAS can completely reset your application - that includes removing any clearing choice.

BUT it's good manners to let Surrey (or any other clearing university) know that you're getting a remark and might be accepted into your firm if it comes through in time.

Be aware that even with priority remarks universities can (and do) refuse applicants who meet their offer conditions after a remark - usually offering deferred entry instead.

Basically keep everyone informed, be up front about where you'd prefer to go (southampton) but feel free to find another place elsewhere in clearing if you're not happy with your insurance.
Original post by claireestelle
yes, you d have to go back through clearing again to get into your firm.

My firm isn't in Clearing. So I have to just sit on my hands until the re-mark comes back? I've asked SOAS to extend the deadline for my provisional offer. I just feel a bit bad for Exeter in all this :/ Is there a deadline for when I can have them reject me? I have an idea it's 14 days from today? That's fine as my re-mark has been submitted and will be back within 12.
My firm offer was AAA and I got A*A*B, was rejected. I don't really like my insurance though, so I called SOAS and have a provisional offer from them. However, I don't want to ask to be released by my insurance yet because I have a re-mark pending on the exam that caused that B and might get into my firm yet. If I have my insurance release me into Clearing will that mean my firm doesn't have their records on me any more? Help! (Paging PQ especially...)

If you get into clearing and get a place then your remark comes through then UCAS can reset your application completely - but you should let ALL your universities (including clearing unis) know about the remark so that they know there's a risk you'll vanish if your firm agree to take you after the remark.
Original post by dawideksoltysik
My first choice uni is chester which require 112 UCas points for the course, however I've got a strong portfolio as I currently work as a graphic designer in a large company.

I really was aiming for AA B today but obviously this didn't happen. I really enjoy doing ALevels. One of my friends in media had her grade in media dropped from 78/80 to 60/80 and I had 79/80 and came out with 67/80 - but my teacher was really unhappy as she said they should let her know if they moderate down. My school is a brand new school and we're the first year group to do As's so it's all abit wishy washy.

Do you think If I resit the Geog1 module and bring that up to a B and get a B in next year's modules I might get a B overall? Also my product design exam was horrible as I was the onyl to get a grade in the whole class - everyone else got a a U? Why is that?

It sounds like that is something your media teacher may have to deal with as an overarching issue. It's a shame it has affected your class so significantly.
If you can bring that Geog grade up to a B and do equally well at A2 I would be surprised if you didn't get a B overall. Again, this is something to discuss with your teacher. I had a similar issue during my Chemistry A2 and had to push to get my teacher to give me the predicted grade I wanted to get into uni and allow me to resit, but they can be persuaded. It worked for me!

Your portfolio and work outside college are absolutely fantastic and I think any university would be suitably impressed by that. When it comes to writing your personal statement, make sure you big that up as much as possible and encourage your supervisor at work to give you the best reference they've ever written!

I'm afraid I can't answer for the results of your product design exam and again that sounds like an issue your teacher will have to deal with because it has affected so many so much. Being the first year to do something can have its drawbacks until the teachers find their feet.
Original post by CutieTootsie
Medicine is so competitive, I'm not sure!
How about 6 year courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm looking into them
Original post by qosin
My mate hasn't received his grades properly. Only two of his subjects show up (BB), he can see the exam results for third subject and he worked out it would also be a B overall, but his grades still only show up as BB, instead of BBB. His UCAS track hasn't updated either. It's so weird, I didn't know this could happen. He's been trying to call the university but last I heard they were just saying they couldn't help him. What can he do? I feel so sorry for him, as he probably would have gotten into his firm (ABB offer) but now places are probably filling up.

He needs to speak to his exams officer at school/college - THEY need to coordinate with the exam board to get the grade certified (and they need to speak to his universities to explain that the exam centre ****ed up)
Original post by smegsxo
I achieved AAB so I got into LSE, so shocked as I expected them to be so much lower. I had hoped for an A* in sociology but I'm happy with what I got, not happy about the interviews I had to do for radio and tv however, don't spring that on me 15 minutes before I get my results (did get to open them earlier than everyone else though)

Well done!

Sounds really harsh?!
Original post by Onica
My grades were not great or expected, but I got ABC and somehow Warwick still accepted me for an AAB course?

Warwick have been quite lenient this year.
Did anyone apply to Warwick and missed their grades but still got in?

Nope missed me by a grade a didn't get in
Original post by DonPedroK.
@victoria98 I honestly don't think it is necessary for you to get a remark. A, because you're already in and B, you don't want to risk dropping a grade no matter how small that risk may be. I would say just allow it and enjoy uni :biggrin:!!!

Yeah I think you're right! I guess if they didn't accept me then I'd get it priority remarked, but because they did it wouldn't change anything. Thanks!! :biggrin:
My firm isn't in Clearing. So I have to just sit on my hands until the re-mark comes back? I've asked SOAS to extend the deadline for my provisional offer. I just feel a bit bad for Exeter in all this :/ Is there a deadline for when I can have them reject me? I have an idea it's 14 days from today? That's fine as my re-mark has been submitted and will be back within 12.

See my reply - you don't use clearing to get back to your firm after a remark - there's a different process.
Hey, I just got a unconditional offer to Chemistry and Mathematics. I applied to Biochemistry first but then the offer changed to Chemistry and Mathematics. Can the offer be changed again to Medical Chemistry and Mathematics if I asked? I got CCD as D is biology.
Original post by emiloujess
BU still can't see that I'm in Clearing and told me to phone back at 3pm when Track updates to allow Clearing choices to be made :frown: But she asked me why I wanted to do the course and apparently it is 'exceptionally likely' that I will be made an offer...

... that's good, right? :biggrin:

That's good

I think you're going to be just fine :yes:
I got into my firm, and I'm really really happy about that - there's nothing else I'd rather do. But now the initial happiness has faded a bit I feel kind of hollow. Idk what's wrong with me :frown:
I'm AS and I got BCDD which I'm a bit disappointed with and I'm really worried about whether I'll be able to pull off A2 or not

I've dropped Economics which I got a D in because I thought I did well in it but apparently I didn't, plus I got a C in French which I'm also disappointed in as I want to continue at uni

The thing is I'm going to have to retake French and Geography as well as doing A2 and I'm not sure I can handle it:s-smilie:
Reply 9076
Original post by Vannzzoo
Nope missed me by a grade a didn't get in

For what course??

Did you get into your insurance??
I got ACE & i was 2 ums mark for each grade , so i decided to resit during gap year , have i made a decent decision?
Original post by Polyrogue
Thanks a lot to everybody here for their help and assistance. Despite my huge sadness and gutting results of CDD, with your help and a lot of witty phone calls, I managed to secure a place for Computer Science BSc at Goldsmiths UoL! That's normally an entry requirement of ABB!Thanks guys, I finally feel a lot better, and can smile again :biggrin:

How did you achieve that feat? I think you may have a career in Politics to be able to pull off that stunt. Well done! :biggrin:
Original post by sakuraton
Hey, I just got a unconditional offer to Chemistry and Mathematics. I applied to Biochemistry first but then the offer changed to Chemistry and Mathematics. Can the offer be changed again to Medical Chemistry and Mathematics if I asked? I got CCD as D is biology.

To change from Chemistry to Medicinal Chemistry is administratively easy, so you don't need to worry about that :smile:

Original post by FishCakeSoup
I got into my firm, and I'm really really happy about that - there's nothing else I'd rather do. But now the initial happiness has faded a bit I feel kind of hollow. Idk what's wrong with me :frown:

Start looking forward to the future? :smile: . You're probably just feeling relief. All of the stress you've been feeling recently is all over and out, and so you're calming down! Keep your mind active - plan for uni, go outside, eat ice cream... You'll feel right as rain by next week :smile:

Original post by IKEAPanda37
I'm AS and I got BCDD which I'm a bit disappointed with and I'm really worried about whether I'll be able to pull off A2 or not

I've dropped Economics which I got a D in because I thought I did well in it but apparently I didn't, plus I got a C in French which I'm also disappointed in as I want to continue at uni

The thing is I'm going to have to retake French and Geography as well as doing A2 and I'm not sure I can handle it:s-smilie:

You need to speak to your school and your tutors about this. They know you and how you work best, so will be able to provide the proper advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest