The Student Room Group

Advice on best option - gap year or clearing

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by James Hp
I got A*ABB (Maths Physics FMaths Chemistry) and missed both firm and insurance offers.
Both Bs were about 10 UMS off and i'm sure I can get them to As. I may even try for the A*
I could go through clearing but I'd rather go to a better university seeing as it's very within reach if I reapply.

Is it worth it to take the gap year or should I just find something now? And if I reapply what are the chances usually of getting in - are you disadvantaged having done a gap year?

Hi,
You won't be disadvantaged at all if you take a gap year! It can be an amazing experience. However we do have places left at Kingston. Here is a list of courses on offer http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/clearing/

Our hotline number is
0800 0483 334 if you do wish to get into contact with us,

Emily
Student ambassador
I got A*ABB (Maths Physics FMaths Chemistry) and missed both firm and insurance offers.
Both Bs were about 10 UMS off and i'm sure I can get them to As. I may even try for the A*
I could go through clearing but I'd rather go to a better university seeing as it's very within reach if I reapply.

Is it worth it to take the gap year or should I just find something now? And if I reapply what are the chances usually of getting in - are you disadvantaged having done a gap year?

Hi James,

Congratulations, those are amazing results, i'm guessing your firm and insurance included Oxford or Cambridge?

You should be able to get into most universities in the country with those grades so i wouldn't sweat it too much, Whether you retake a year will be up to you and how much you have your heart set on your firm and insurance choices.

Good luck with your decision

Josh
Reply 3
Do you want to be a small fish in a big pond, or a big fish in a small pond?
Reply 4
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, thanks for your assurance.

It was Imperial and UCL (wasn't a fan of oxbridge). I really liked both of them. WIll a gap year make a difference in reapplying to either of these? Are they less likely to accept if you have done one - especially considering I was already accepted by them and missed them both.

I've been exploring options for engineering related work experience but seeing as its so late now to apply, I'm having trouble finding much. Any suggestions for where or how I can find any placements to start in the coming months?

Thanks.

Hi James,

It's worth checking with the individual universities admissions policies to see if they penalize retake students - normally this only happens with oxbridge and medical courses.

In relation to Engineering related placements, a good place to start would be contacting companies directly to see if they have any placement opportunities available.

Also sorry to go all "salesy" on you, but have you actually considered Aston? All of our Engineering degrees come with an inbuilt placement year, a number of my friends went to work at Rolls Royce, JLR and IBM during their degree.

I'll just leave you with these: http://www.aston.ac.uk/clearing/vacancies/

http://www.aston.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/placements/

Any questions just give me a shout.

Josh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending