The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by naibby
Thank you for your help. I'm also interested to know whether an EPQ is of any added advantage if I am planning to take 4 subjects at A2. I am currently working on my EPQ, but I am considering dropping it since I will be carrying on with four subjects. What is your advice ?

There's certainly no need to continue with the EPQ if you don't wish to or iwsh to preserve your time as it wouldn't form part of your offer. The EPQ is a good thing, in that its good preparation for university in some ways and it gives you thinks to talk about in your Personal Statement and interview but it's really down to you. We won't take a view either way.
Original post by Obiejess
Hi, I just got my AS grades today and my result in English was a lot lower than expected. I got an A in History, Psychology, and Government and Politics, but only a B in English Lit. However, my teacher says she will still predict my an A* despite this fluke, leaving me with an A* A* A/A* prediction overall. Additionally, I took AS French in Year 10, which was a mistake, and got a D. My GCSEs are 5A*s, 4As. Is it worth applying for Law?

With 3 As and a B at AS and with predictions of 2 or 3 A*s at A Level you are certainly in a position to apply for Law. yes. Sometimes the odd exam goes badly and we understand that - you have good scores elsewhere and that's a positive.
Original post by jdizzle12345
Thank you for the reply! So will there be no auto-pooling for people with less than 3 AS Levels?

So I guess a broader question is whether people with fewer AS Levels (due to the changes in the structure of A-Levels) will be at some disadvantage? Some people at my school are only doing one AS Level due to these changes.

There will be no compulsory pooling of those doing AS Levels without three unreformed subjects.
Original post by blue2337
I've definitely posted here before (sorry) but I've just got my AS results back. I got AAAA in my subjects, getting an average of 93.35% in raw marks, and 99% in English Lit, so I'm over the moon! However, is it worth mentioning that I got these results whilst being a young carer and losing school time/revision time going to the hospital to help out my dying mum? (she recovered, but was still critically ill over AS exams) I was planning to fill out an EC form anyway, but would it be overkill considering I've already (hopefully) got strong enough AS's and predictions of A* A* A/A*? Or would it show the university that I can cope with immense pressure and still come out with decent grades - I know Cambridge can get incredibly pressured around exam time and it might show that I can handle that? Or is it just unnecessary?I'm so thankful for you answering all these questions by the way, this thread is an absolute lifesaver; I'm so grateful you and Peterhouse are taking the time to reply to everyone and answer their questions in depth!

We're happy to help! Many congratulations on your results and I am very glad to hear that your Mum recovered. Your school should certainly enter an ECF - students need not to see it as anything other than a positive. We can only make good decisions when given as much information as possible and that you achieved as well as you did in those circumstances is certainly something that would be regarded as a big positive for your application.
Original post by Atticusfalls95
Hello Christ's Admissions Tutor,

I am a 21-year-old mature student who would like to apply for English at Cambridge. I have an A* in English Literature, A* in History and a B in Economics. I missed my Oxford offer for English a couple of years ago, where I was required to get 3 As. Since then I have been trying to get back that 3rd grade, through hard work and self-teaching. I knew Cambridge didn't accept resits and thus I entered myself for a new A Level in Religious Studies. I got my RS result today and regrettably, the board has lost one my scripts so I have no overall grade, just 3 of the 4 modules. Attached is my full statement of results, next to the fourth module result it simply says pending. One of the A2 results is 100/100 and the other is missing. This means my current situation still is A*A*B, to be eligible to apply does this mean I'd have to enter myself in for another 3rd A Level? I appreciate the admissions policy must be stringent, but I am not sure whether at the ripe old age of 21 it would communicate a great deal about my ability to cope with an English degree.

Hello and thanks for your question. I think that you would be best asking this question in the Mature College thread as the AT at Lucy Cavendish has more experience in dealing with these sorts of situations. My instinct would be that you have done enough to be considered, providing you submitted the evidence from the exam board that they lost your final script.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello and thanks for your question. I think that you would be best asking this question in the Mature College thread as the AT at Lucy Cavendish has more experience in dealing with these sorts of situations. My instinct would be that you have done enough to be considered, providing you submitted the evidence from the exam board that they lost your final script.

Thank you very much for this reply. My wish is to apply to an undergraduate college, however. Would your instinct suggest this poses a problem? I would rather state the intention to sit another A Level than be dismissed out of hand because of leaving the A*A*B grades as they are.
Original post by WhatIsSleep
Thank you for replying.

I believe having only 3 subjects will allow me to focus more on Chemistry (and hit the A* as I'm doing linear A levels). I didn't do Physics because I originally intended on studying medicine, however, I completely changed my mind after doing work experience during Year 12. Hopefully, Further Maths should make up for it; I will do M2 and possibly M3 so my mechanics should be up to scratch. I forgot to add that my GCSE profile is quite strong (12 A*s); how much are GCSEs taken into account when making an offer?

Do you have any information about the NatSci pre-interview test? (I'm hoping if I do well in the Chemistry section, it'll strengthen my application). I've seen the specification and done the questions on it. Will more sample questions be released?

Edit: Whilst most of my maths modules were in the 90s, I have one rogue module (D1) in which I achieved 70. Should I resit?

Ok, that makes sense about the Physics and isn't uncommon. You might want to mention it somewhere on the SAQ.

GCSEs are a useful part of the application and 12 A*s certainly won't harm!

No more questions will be released for the Nat Sci Assessment, what's up there is what's available.

I don't think you need to resit D1, it's not a hugely important module and we'd rather you focused on other, more important and difficult things.
Original post by faridahamao
hello... i just got my results for AS where i got an ABB. should i retake my exams or i should just make up for it in A2 because i am planning on applying to cambridge in A2

It depends a little on your subject but with ABB at AS then you are going to struggle to get an interview. If the AS Levels are reformed subjects then don't retake as there's no point. If they are unreformed then you might want to retake them to ensure that you get an A or above overall.
Original post by faridahamao
hello... i just got my results for AS where i got an ABB. should i retake my exams or i should just make up for it in A2 because i am planning on applying to cambridge in A2

It depends a little on your subject but with ABB at AS then you are going to struggle to get an interview if you apply this year. If the AS Levels are reformed subjects then don't retake as there's no point. If they are unreformed then you might want to retake them to ensure that you get an A or above overall. Your best chance might involve applying post A level.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
With 3 As and a B at AS and with predictions of 2 or 3 A*s at A Level you are certainly in a position to apply for Law. yes. Sometimes the odd exam goes badly and we understand that - you have good scores elsewhere and that's a positive.

What about the D in French? Will that be a concern, and is there anything I can do to mitigate its effect?
Original post by Mr Pussyfoot
Would I have a chance applying with 3 As (maths,further maths and chemistry) and a 1 B in physics at AS level for the Chemical Engineering course? And if so would it make a difference to apply through either Engineering or Natural Sciences.
My UMS are as follows-
Maths:
C1-97/100
C2-93/100
M1-98/100
Further Maths:
FP1-90
S1-86
D1-82
I also have 10 A*s and 2As at GCSE.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello and thanks for your question. Yes, you'd certainly have a chance. The B in Physics would obviously be a significant concern but not a terminal one at this stage.

In terms of your chances of getting in, I don't think that either route is 'easier', you need to think about the course and whether you'd rather spend the first year doing Nat Sci or Engineering.
Hello,

I was wondering if you could tell me please if I would have a chance of getting an interview?

I want to apply for Economics at your university.
I received 6 A*, 5A at GCSE.
I am currently taking Business, Economics, Maths and Further Maths for A Levels, and am doing the EPQ.
I have only taken two AS Levels in Maths and Further Maths though (due to the others being linear subjects), in both I received an A.
My average UMS marks for Maths: 86, and Further Maths: 83.3.
My predictions for Economics: A and Business: A.

I realise that the overlap between Business and Economics, and also my average UMS marks being below 90, are unfavourable, but is there still some chance for me?

Also, would you say it would be wise to carry on doing Further Maths at A2 for me?
I'm slightly worried since looking at my AS results that Further Maths might possibly bring down my grades for Economics or Business next year.

Hi,

My question has two parts.

I have 7A* and 4A at GCSE. I just received 4 A's in AS. The UMS for my maths modules is listed below at a 92% average. I am hoping to apply for physical natural sciences.

C1 - 85/100
C2 - 94/100
D1 - 94/100
FP1 - 87/100
S1 - 100/100
M1 - 92/100

My first question is how likely it is to get in with these results.

Secondly, with the scrapping of UMS in reformed A Levels, will UMS continue to be used as the main indicator of performance. My physics and chemistry results would have given significantly better UMS than maths/ further maths. Will the SAQ ask for raw marks for the reformed A Levels where UMS was previously used?

Thanks

Original post by qwertyuiop1998
Hi,

My question has two parts.

I have 7A* and 4A at GCSE. I just received 4 A's in AS. The UMS for my maths modules is listed below at a 92% average. I am hoping to apply for physical natural sciences.

C1 - 85/100
C2 - 94/100
D1 - 94/100
FP1 - 87/100
S1 - 100/100
M1 - 92/100

My first question is how likely it is to get in with these results.

Secondly, with the scrapping of UMS in reformed A Levels, will UMS continue to be used as the main indicator of performance. My physics and chemistry results would have given significantly better UMS than maths/ further maths. Will the SAQ ask for raw marks for the reformed A Levels where UMS was previously used?

Thanks

The SAQ wont ask for raw marks but your teachers can tell us these in their reference if it is helpful. UMS in Maths will still be helpful but, without a full compliment of UMS, this will not be as significant a part in our calculations as it was in the past.

I'm afraid that I can't tell you how likely it is you will get in without seeing you whole application and those of others. All I can say is that your application would not be unrealistic by any means but that there would be some concern over the strength of your maths results.
Original post by Atticusfalls95
Thank you very much for this reply. My wish is to apply to an undergraduate college, however. Would your instinct suggest this poses a problem? I would rather state the intention to sit another A Level than be dismissed out of hand because of leaving the A*A*B grades as they are.

All the standard aged colleged are encouraged to discuss with their link mature college about mature applicants where they have a query. I don't think you'd be dismissed out of hand but I can't guarantee that all my colleagues would think the same way.
Hi! I have a question about my AS results.

I will be applying for medicine and take bio, Chem, physics, maths and further maths. My sciences are all reformed, so the only external exam result I got today was for maths, for which I did the entire A level (not two AS')

I got
C1 -100
C2- 98
C3 -100
C4 -84
S1-99
S2-97

Shall I resit C4 next year? Will my current c4 mark put me at a disadvantage?
Original post by Obiejess
What about the D in French? Will that be a concern, and is there anything I can do to mitigate its effect?

I don't think so. it was taken in year 10. Students quite often take exams too early and we tend to ignore it.
Original post by Emma73737
Hello,

I was wondering if you could tell me please if I would have a chance of getting an interview?

I want to apply for Economics at your university.
I received 6 A*, 5A at GCSE.
I am currently taking Business, Economics, Maths and Further Maths for A Levels, and am doing the EPQ.
I have only taken two AS Levels in Maths and Further Maths though (due to the others being linear subjects), in both I received an A.
My average UMS marks for Maths: 86, and Further Maths: 83.3.
My predictions for Economics: A and Business: A.

I realise that the overlap between Business and Economics, and also my average UMS marks being below 90, are unfavourable, but is there still some chance for me?

Also, would you say it would be wise to carry on doing Further Maths at A2 for me?
I'm slightly worried since looking at my AS results that Further Maths might possibly bring down my grades for Economics or Business next year.

Hello and thanks for your question. Doing Further Maths would be very helpful if at all possible. We;d much rather you did that than Business. Your Maths UMs is a little on the low side and I think you'd need to do quite well in the pre-interview assessment and other parts of the application to make up for this and give you a decent shot at an interview.
Original post by I can do this
Hi! I have a question about my AS results.

I will be applying for medicine and take bio, Chem, physics, maths and further maths. My sciences are all reformed, so the only external exam result I got today was for maths, for which I did the entire A level (not two AS':wink:

I got
C1 -100
C2- 98
C3 -100
C4 -84
S1-99
S2-97

Shall I resit C4 next year? Will my current c4 mark put me at a disadvantage?

Hello and well done on your Maths results. I don't think it's necessary to resit C4, it doesn't gain you anything as you already have the A*. Just concentrate on the Y13 work. We'd note the mark but it's clearly an outlier compared to your other results so dont worry too much.
Hi,
I just got my AS results today and I got AAAAB- Biology, Chemistry, Geography, General studies and physics. I am hoping to apply for Biological Natural Sciences but, I think I am going to have to drop physics as my school have struggled with teaching it at AS with quite a few issues ( I believe this would continue next year)and so I think I can do much better at A2 with bio,Chem, geog and general studies. Will dropping physics significantly affect my application as I really hope to apply?Also how much weight would my B at AS in physics,if I dropped it, have on my application?

Latest

Trending

Trending