The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

About DBS checks...

So I have gotten a confirmed place at Southampton University and as happy as I am about this, I have to get a DBS check done and it's honestly stressing me out so much. I have read the page on the website which says to call the number, press 1 and then give the registration number. I did that, but the guy on the phone asked me for an organisation name, I said southampton university, but the guy said I should have been given an organisation name. So I emailed the uni and told them the story and they email back with a copy and paste of the DBS checks page on the website (which doesn't help me in any way). I have already read it, it doesn't mention anything about an organisation name. It just says to give the number.
I also asked them what adress I should send the DBS form off to, they don't mention it on the website, they just say to send it to the admissions team.
The university honestly isn't very helpful at all.
Someone please help me I've never gone through this process before. I can't sort my accomodation out until this is done.
Original post by lulau98
So I have gotten a confirmed place at Southampton University and as happy as I am about this, I have to get a DBS check done and it's honestly stressing me out so much. I have read the page on the website which says to call the number, press 1 and then give the registration number. I did that, but the guy on the phone asked me for an organisation name, I said southampton university, but the guy said I should have been given an organisation name. So I emailed the uni and told them the story and they email back with a copy and paste of the DBS checks page on the website (which doesn't help me in any way). I have already read it, it doesn't mention anything about an organisation name. It just says to give the number.
I also asked them what adress I should send the DBS form off to, they don't mention it on the website, they just say to send it to the admissions team.
The university honestly isn't very helpful at all.
Someone please help me I've never gone through this process before. I can't sort my accomodation out until this is done.

The university should be submitting this, not you.
What have you been told exactly and how were you told?

We can solve this don't worry.
On campus at the University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
For my course I need a DBS check, and I can't get my conditional offer to be unconditional offer until I do it. I looked on the website here -> http://www.southampton.ac.uk/prearrivalhealthsciences/prearrival/planner/crb_checks.page? and just followed the steps. But the man on the phone mentioned the organisation name and I don't know what to say as I explained. I'm the first person in my family to go to university so I can't ask them for advice.On the website it says "your joining instructions will arrive by email in May, providing detailed information on how to obtain your DBS application", but I never got this email in May. I haven't gotten any emails about a DBS check.

Original post by Neostigmine
The university should be submitting this, not you.
What have you been told exactly and how were you told?

We can solve this don't worry.
Original post by lulau98
For my course I need a DBS check, and I can't get my conditional offer to be unconditional offer until I do it. I looked on the website here -> http://www.southampton.ac.uk/prearrivalhealthsciences/prearrival/planner/crb_checks.page? and just followed the steps. But the man on the phone mentioned the organisation name and I don't know what to say as I explained. I'm the first person in my family to go to university so I can't ask them for advice.On the website it says "your joining instructions will arrive by email in May, providing detailed information on how to obtain your DBS application", but I never got this email in May. I haven't gotten any emails about a DBS check.

So I just phoned them for you.

Call. Press 1 and go through to the customer advisors.

You need 3 pieces of info:
The Organisation name is "University of Southampton"
The DBS registration number which is 20403300009
The level of disclosure required which is "enhanced" according to the uni site.

I don't know why they wouldn't accept "Southampton Uni" as the name, but I got them to confirm that it is University of Southampton.

Let me know how you get on.

Beth
P.s Once you get the form, fill it out, and then send it to the uni, as they will pay and sort it out for you. You just need to phone to get the forms.

Post it to Health Sciences at the Highfield Campus address

Health Sciences
Highfield Campus
University Road
Southampton
SO something 1BJ.
Reply 5
Thank you so much. You're a big help. I will ring them later on.
I can't thank you enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lulau98
Thank you so much. You're a big help. I will ring them later on.
I can't thank you enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No trouble. Let me know how it goes ^_^
Reply 7
Original post by Neostigmine
No trouble. Let me know how it goes ^_^

I rang them up, I had a different advisor this time. It's all sorted, I should recieve the form in about a week! Thank you again for your help!
Original post by lulau98
I rang them up, I had a different advisor this time. It's all sorted, I should recieve the form in about a week! Thank you again for your help!

Ah brilliant. Glad it is all sorted. ^_^

Welcome to soton!
Reply 9
I have one more question, i have recieved the form. Do i need to send the ID needed to the university as well? Like bank statements, birth certificate etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lulau98
I have one more question, i have recieved the form. Do i need to send the ID needed to the university as well? Like bank statements, birth certificate etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just quoting Beth in for you in case she doesn't see this :smile:

Neostigmine
x
Original post by lulau98

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't seen the form in a long time. Does it say you need to? Im sorry, without seeing it, it's hard to say!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending