The Student Room Group

Help?!? Durham or Newcastle for Geography

Hi,

I just received my AS results of
A- Geography
A- Sociology
B- English Language
B- Government and Politics

I'm hoping to apply for a BA Geography course for 2017/18 entry. I have my sights set on either Newcastle or Durham however I will also be applying to Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool.

I would need A*AA for Durham and AAB for Newcastle. Having been to open days I really enjoyed both Newcastle and Durham for completely different reasons. I absolutely love the traditional vibe of Durham and I think the college system is a really good idea (I would be applying to Hatfield). However, I am worried about the ability for me to get a job as I was hoping I would be able to get a job within the SU or local bars but these seemed slightly disappointing in Durham. On the other hand, I love the social side of Newcastle and the accommodation as well. To be honest, I completely fell in love with the he city. I feel as though it would be easier for me to get a job in somewhere like Newcastle as opposed to Durham. I love both courses equally which makes my decision even harder, even though clearly the Durham course if more highly rated. This does matter to me in a way as I hope to eventually apply for a graduate GDL scheme which is extremely competitive with graduates of all disciplines.

So, I have a few questions for whoever may be able to give me some answers?
1. Is it possible to get in/is it even worth me applying to Durham with these AS grades?
2. Is it hard to find a job in Durham?
3. Is Newcastle still a highly rated uni among employers?
4. Where should I go?!?!?🤔

Thanks in Advance
Original post by grace_parry
Hi,

I just received my AS results of
A- Geography
A- Sociology
B- English Language
B- Government and Politics

I'm hoping to apply for a BA Geography course for 2017/18 entry. I have my sights set on either Newcastle or Durham however I will also be applying to Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool.

I would need A*AA for Durham and AAB for Newcastle. Having been to open days I really enjoyed both Newcastle and Durham for completely different reasons. I absolutely love the traditional vibe of Durham and I think the college system is a really good idea (I would be applying to Hatfield). However, I am worried about the ability for me to get a job as I was hoping I would be able to get a job within the SU or local bars but these seemed slightly disappointing in Durham. On the other hand, I love the social side of Newcastle and the accommodation as well. To be honest, I completely fell in love with the he city. I feel as though it would be easier for me to get a job in somewhere like Newcastle as opposed to Durham. I love both courses equally which makes my decision even harder, even though clearly the Durham course if more highly rated. This does matter to me in a way as I hope to eventually apply for a graduate GDL scheme which is extremely competitive with graduates of all disciplines.

So, I have a few questions for whoever may be able to give me some answers?
1. Is it possible to get in/is it even worth me applying to Durham with these AS grades?
2. Is it hard to find a job in Durham?
3. Is Newcastle still a highly rated uni among employers?
4. Where should I go?!?!?🤔

Thanks in Advance

I would say Durham is so much better
Reply 2
Original post by LPauling
I would say Durham is so much better

In what ways, if you don't mind me asking? I'm just really trying to make an informed decision on the factors most important to me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by grace_parry
In what ways, if you don't mind me asking? I'm just really trying to make an informed decision on the factors most important to me.

If you love the city Newcastle and went to Durham don't forget that they are only 5 minute apart on the train.

In regards to jobs it is fairly easy to get one at Durham as every college has jobs in the college library and the college bar.

Durham is considered the much more prestige's uni as well
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Which did you end up choosing?
Original post by Dbetts1
Which did you end up choosing?

Are you having a smilar choice. I would choose Durham
Reply 6
Original post by LPauling
Are you having a smilar choice. I would choose Durham

I chose Newcastle. Similar position?
Original post by Dbetts1
I chose Newcastle. Similar position?

What made you choose Newcastle?
I’m literally having this exact same dilemma right now for entry this September!! What did you guys do in the end?
Original post by maddy2001
I’m literally having this exact same dilemma right now for entry this September!! What did you guys do in the end?

I ended up going to Durham and had absolutely 0 regrets.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending