The Student Room Group

Damn, I've failed

Unfortunately, I got EUU in AS Physics, Chemistry and Maths, mainly due to me not listening and having depression.

I got mostly As and Bs in GCSE. Maths - B ; Science - A ; English - A ; Further Maths - A

I have applied to do BTEC Engineering Level 3 and A Level Maths at another college. Is this still good enough for top 30 universities? Please help.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by asmuse123
Unfortunately, I got EUU in AS Physics, Chemistry and Maths, mainly due to me not listening and having depression.

I have applied to do BTEC Engineering Level 3 and A Level Maths at another college. Is this still good enough for top 30 universities? Please help.

Im afraid most top russel group universities will not accept the BTEC in replacement of Alevels, many unis will though you will just have to check requirements online.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got mostly As and Bs in GCSE. Maths - B ; Science - A ; English - A

You need to have a look at the Uni websites and UCAS Course Search to see what type of offers they make to see whether your combinations of subjects are suitable.

I got mostly As and Bs in GCSE. Maths - B ; Science - A ; English - A ; Further Maths - A

No
Original post by Natalierm2707
Im afraid most top russel group universities will not accept the BTEC in replacement of Alevels, many unis will though you will just have to check requirements online.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not as a total replacement for A Levels. I will still do A Level Maths, but with BTEC Engineering Extended Diploma, would that be good enough for engineering subjects?
Not as a total replacement for A Levels. I will still do A Level Maths, but with BTEC Engineering Extended Diploma, would that be good enough for engineering subjects?

You would require an A in Alevel maths and a BTEC extended level 3 diploma (not subsidiary diploma) at DDD minimum to gain entry to most of the courses that will accept you, these are not at the top 10 universities but places which are very very good class such as manchester, lancaster etc.

You will often only be considered for the foundation year though.

What is worrying me is how are you going to pull an A in Alevel maths out of the bag when at AS you got a U. you do realise this U in AS maths will be seen on uni applications and will likely go against you.
You would require an A in Alevel maths and a BTEC extended level 3 diploma (not subsidiary diploma) at DDD minimum to gain entry to most of the courses that will accept you, these are not at the top 10 universities but places which are very very good class such as manchester, lancaster etc.

You will often only be considered for the foundation year though.

What is worrying me is how are you going to pull an A in Alevel maths out of the bag when at AS you got a U. you do realise this U in AS maths will be seen on uni applications and will likely go against you.

Yes, I understand that, but that's why I'm doing A Level Maths again, also do BTEC Engineering Extended Diploma and learn better. The foundation year allows you to move on to the full university degree, if you pass, correct?
Reply 7
I failed my AS' when I did them too, I got 2 U's an E and a D. I did a BTEC Business course, finished it this year with a DDD and now I'm going to study Journalism at Sheffield, so it's possible, but it depends on what you want to do as not all courses will take BTEC's. Research before you decide on this. Don't get stuck on university rankings either, look into what course you want to do and research uni's that do it and see if they would take a BTEC.
Yes, I understand that, but that's why I'm doing A Level Maths again, also do BTEC Engineering Extended Diploma and learn better. The foundation year allows you to move on to the full university degree, if you pass, correct?

Yes, but as I said be careful of having sat a maths Alevel over 3 years, unis may question that!
Yes, but as I said be careful of having sat a maths Alevel over 3 years, unis may question that!

Yes, my teacher told me about that. So, I'll work harder so they don't consider too much about it. Also, if I do get at least a B, wouldn't that be not too bad with a BTEC in Engineering for an Engineering Foundation degree?
Yes, my teacher told me about that. So, I'll work harder so they don't consider too much about it. Also, if I do get at least a B, wouldn't that be not too bad with a BTEC in Engineering for an Engineering Foundation degree?

Im afraid at russel groups you will need an A in the maths, some lower ranked universities may accept the B though.
Reply 11

I have depression aswell, it's the worst possible thing and it does not tie well with hard school work and paying attention. I'm in the exact same position, with UUU in Maths, Product Design and Computer Science. I think I'm going to College, doing a BTEC Computer Science course, mainly because some Unis recognise it.
Im afraid at russel groups you will need an A in the maths, some lower ranked universities may accept the B though.

OK, I'll aim for the A. Would that mean they may care more about getting an A in A Level Maths and BTEC Engineering Extended Diploma than doing it over 3 years? How much would they care?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is this Russel Group everyone keeps talking about?? lol.
OK, I'll aim for the A. Would that mean they may care more about getting an A in A Level Maths and BTEC Engineering Extended Diploma than doing it over 3 years? How much would they care?

Im going to be honest with you, Im a med student and have no idea, I have just been doing what you could have done and been scouring the uni websites for you, sadly they dont have that kind of info. if you want to know more detail like that I advise you email some universities and ask for their opinions.
I got 3 U's at Alevel, similar situation, depression, family issues etc..I know it was quite a while ago, I was gutted. But I managed to get onto an HND, then transfer into 2nd year of Biomedicine degree at Lancaster.

Top uni doesn't mean top jobs or top career prospects. Your overall grades and how well you sell yourself to your potential employer decide that.

Also you can get into most of the top 30 with a mixture of BTEC and A-level, again depending on your overall grade and how well you sell yourself in your supporting statement to the universities. You won't know unless you TRY, don't let anyone tell you you can't :smile:
Im going to be honest with you, Im a med student and have no idea, I have just been doing what you could have done and been scouring the uni websites for you, sadly they dont have that kind of info. if you want to know more detail like that I advise you email some universities and ask for their opinions.

Hey, I want to study medicine too but AS was not what i expected. i got BBCC. Is it good enough? i feel so disspointed
Original post by Sunethra
Hey, I want to study medicine too but AS was not what i expected. i got BBCC. Is it good enough? i feel so disspointed

If you can predicted AAA for A2 to include bio and chem then you will be able to apply (some med schools will accept AAB predicitions)! you would just need to pull those grades up next year!
pM me if you want anymore advice.
Reply 19
If you want to get into engineering in a practical way, like the BTEC, why not look at employer-based options? Apprenticeships and the like.

Quick Reply

Latest