The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by claireestelle
that's only something you can decide yourself but if its the course you want and you dont mind the extra year why not go for it :smile:

thanks for that :smile:
so are there any disadvantages of an integrated foundation year?
Thanks but I don't think I will be able to get the course I want I got 210 Ucas points and mechanical engineering requires 300 so I have confirmed my insurance instead. I failed pretty badly but thank you for your help and your time.
Original post by raman_17

There can be - do some research into where it is taught (some are at local FE or private colleges), how it is taught, whether you're guaranteed progression onto the course you want etc

Ask if you can speak to a student who took the foundation and is now on your degree course...you'll be able to get a better idea about what is good and what isn't and then decide whether it is something you want to do.
Original post by raman_17

Apart from the extra cost i couldnt think of any.
If UCAS don't have my grades on the system but my firm offer does, do I still need to ask UCAS to put my grades on the system? Apparently there was some kind of mix-up and my UCAS application just says that I passed my Access to HE Diploma (not the breakdown of my grades). I may be going into Clearing (waiting for a GCSE resit result to ascertain that). UCAS wouldn't tell me what my application says but the uni did, which is frustrating. Not sure whether to call UCAS again or what. UCAS said they'd look into the problem or whatever but they've not sent me an update about it. Sorry if this is a really stupid question... I'm still confused about how Clearing and Adjustment work
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by greenmang0
If UCAS don't have my grades on the system but my firm offer does, do I still need to ask UCAS to put my grades on the system? Apparently there was some kind of mix-up and my UCAS application just says that I passed my Access to HE Diploma (not the breakdown of my grades). I may be going into Clearing (waiting for a GCSE resit result to ascertain that). UCAS wouldn't tell me what my application says but the uni did, which is frustrating. Not sure whether to call UCAS again or what. UCAS said they'd look into the problem or whatever but they've not sent me an update about it. Sorry if this is a really stupid question... I'm still confused about how Clearing and Adjustment work

I assume you have the certificate break down of your grades? You can always email that to the uni your talking to?

If your firm offer has them, then they should be able to update it from a UCAS point of view. Did you make the grades for your firm?
Original post by skeptical_john
I assume you have the certificate break down of your grades? You can always email that to the uni your talking to?

Yeah I could, but it might be slightly more efficient for them to have my grades simply stated, as you have to interpret the certificates. :colondollar:
Yeah I could, but it might be slightly more efficient for them to have my grades simply stated, as you have to interpret the certificates. :colondollar:

UCAS are **** at collecting details Access grades. You'll need to let universities know directly when you ring up/email etc about clearing places unfortunately - UCAS don't have the fields in their system to hold the grade/unit breakdowns :nope:
Does anyone know when clearing goes live? So we can add our choice
Original post by PQ
UCAS are **** at collecting details Access grades. You'll need to let universities know directly when you ring up/email etc about clearing places unfortunately - UCAS don't have the fields in their system to hold the grade/unit breakdowns :nope:

Really?!
Original post by HayBF123

3pm
Really?!

Really

The UCAS field only accepts P (pass), F (fail), U (unclassified) and X (incomplete).
Original post by PQ
Really

The UCAS field only accepts P (pass), F (fail), U (unclassified) and X (incomplete).

I wonder if they're planning on changing it? That's ridiculous
I wonder if they're planning on changing it? That's ridiculous

Until a couple of years ago they couldn't even do that!

It's moving in the right direction but in the meantime be prepared to give your breakdown (x units at D, x units M, x units P) and back it up with your certificate.
Original post by HayBF123

You can go into UCAS track at 3pm today, then you will be asked to add your clearing choice. Remember to use this time to research the University and the course and make sure it is right for you.

If you would like any advice or would like information on any of our courses you can always call our clearing team on 03330 432 414 or you can talk to us online using our live chat.

Good luck, I hope you end up on your perfect course.

Jack
University of Gloucestershire
Reply 236
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
thinking of u and all ur calls today
#:rip:
:hugs:
good luck ever1
:h:

We're swapped. Barely time to breathe. Will be around this afternoon to answer queries. :h:
Original post by hspooner98
If I go into clearing is it still possible to get a place into one of my top two choices even if I've been rejected? what are the chances of being accepted in this scenario on the second attempt?

Definitely not a waste of time as others have said. I got rejected from SGUL post interview, called them up today and got an offer after the phone interview :smile: Granted, my achieved grades were way over their entry requirements (entry requirements of 18/45 at Distinction, 27/45 at Merit, I got 39/45 at Distinction, 6/45 at Merit), but still most definitely worth a shot. Nothing to lose.
Basically, I've missed my requirements by one grade (I needed AAA but got AAB) and when I called up the uni (because I still didn't get an answer from them) I was told they are considering my application and it may take a week to get back to me! I've called some places via clearing but obviously I need an answer from my firm before I can actually apply. I was just wondering how long clearing places normally last for? As a week seems an awfully long time to keep me waiting...
Original post by cookiemonster15
Basically, I've missed my requirements by one grade (I needed AAA but got AAB) and when I called up the uni (because I still didn't get an answer from them) I was told they are considering my application and it may take a week to get back to me! I've called some places via clearing but obviously I need an answer from my firm before I can actually apply. I was just wondering how long clearing places normally last for? As a week seems an awfully long time to keep me waiting...

with AAB as a medicine "reject" you'd have no trouble finding a place even after a week. Some universities might not be advertising courses at that point but you could contact them now (explaining the situation and that it might take a week for your firm to decide) and they'll usually be very glad for your call.

With any other course I'd be telling you to get *****y with them and demand they decide now or reject you.....for medicine I'm afraid your best chance of a place is to wait it out. Keep contacting them regularly (at least daily). Ask for the name and job titles of the people you speak to and keep notes of what they say.