The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9140
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Nope because there isn't there isn't enough crossover between Law and English.

If you want Law you need to be hunting for Law.

Yeah its going to be a problem tbh....*
Hello, I received my AS results today. Sociology A, English Lit B, History B. Yet to my surprise I got a D in creative writing, despite my teacher continuously telling me I should be aiming for a B or A. Firstly I was wondering how badly this would impact me when I'm applying to uni... (looking to go to York, UCL, Birmingham or St Andrews). Secondly would it be worth getting remarked?
Hope every one got the grades wanted !!!

Thanks Jo.
:smile:
Original post by Wired_1800
Hi,

I don't think that you should be too worried. As long as you retake the module and do well in it, then many Universities may disregard the first attempt.

Since you said that you had some personal problems, I will suggest that you get a medical certificate or something that you can show as evidence that you were not at your best for the first maths attempt.

If you attach the extenuating circumstances to your academic record and mention it on your Personal Statement, I don't think that Universities will frown upon it, if you made up for it and did well on your second attempt.

To get the best response, i suggest that you contact your potential universities with this and seek their opinion about it. So that you will have the most realistic opinion on your chances, especially at Oxbridge.

Good luck.

thank you, this was really helpful! I'll try what you suggested :smile:
Is it OK to tell wait a wekk - 10 days to tell my insurance choice that I won't be going, while I try to get into my firm?
I didn't do well this year but will do well next year, I will make sure of it and for the rest of you, if you did meh you will be fine too and you did great congrats!!!!
Original post by Zonothene
:wink:

Brilliant! Well done.

Original post by cassidyjoy
I'm happy with my insurance but it's annoying that my firm are keeping me hanging! They've also offered me an alternate course that is absolutely not what I want to do and whose grades are much lower than I achieved. Whyyyyy?

What's the alternative? Yay for being happy with your insurance though! Have fun :biggrin:
Original post by 3mmz
I am screwed

I wanted to do law at SOAS....they are full but offered me english. I like english but want to do law..

It seems that if i accept english...i can't change to law many people say its so hard to change. Also what i do if they don't let me change? Like you can't change in the second year can you?

You're not the first person even in this thread to say about going to SOAS to do english but swap to Law.

It's not going to happen - they're not stupid and they wont allow people in "through the back door". You can risk it but only do that if you're happy taking the original degree if they decline a request to swap....if you don't want to do english then don't take the place. There's quite a few places offering law
Hello, I received my AS results today. Sociology A, English Lit B, History B. Yet to my surprise I got a D in creative writing, despite my teacher continuously telling me I should be aiming for a B or A. Firstly I was wondering how badly this would impact me when I'm applying to uni... (looking to go to York, UCL, Birmingham or St Andrews). Secondly would it be worth getting remarked?

Thanks Jo.
:smile:))
Original post by PhysicsMad
thank you, this was really helpful! I'll try what you suggested :smile:

Good luck
Original post by Joeyy113

Thanks Jo.

Congrats!!!
this year is a linear year so will have to do that all over again :'(
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!
Original post by emiloujess
Where on SFE does it let you update your uni details? I can't find it :frown:

I have no idea about that -

Luckily SFE have a page on TSR explaining it http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=26430-student-finance-clearing-2016
anyone do new edexcel history/english lit as?
Has anybody else had very odd results in WJEC ICT as level today? I've got A's all year long and only dropped 3 marks in the mock out of 100, then today I got a D on ICT1 and a C overall. It doesnt really matter to me that I got a C because im dropping it and unis wouldnt like it anyway but I want to know if anybody else has experienced anything similar.
Original post by scrawlx101
aqa eng lit is unfair - everyone in my year marked down

AQA Eng Lit was harsh this year!

Original post by Aurora_Boreal1s
I got my A-level results earlier and I was predicted ABBC but I managed to get A*AAB, with the A* in Spanish, the A in English Language, an A in Maths and a B in biology (I only got a C in the Unit 5 exam). I am so happy and I think I will be going to the University of Iceland (where I'm from) to do Biology. I think I am going to withdraw from my firm (University of Manchester) but I haven't decided yet.

Congrats to everyone in the class of 2016! :badger::badger::badger::badger::badger:

Oh wow! Congratulations! Enjoy Iceland or Manchester. I'm sure both will be brilliant.

Original post by BunnyMidnight
I didn't do well this year but will do well next year, I will make sure of it and for the rest of you, if you did meh you will be fine too and you did great congrats!!!!

That's the spirit - it may not be what you wanted but sometimes the scenic route can be just as interesting.
Has anybody else had very odd results in WJEC ICT as level today? I've got A's all year long and only dropped 3 marks in the mock out of 100, then today I got a D on ICT1 and a C overall. It doesnt really matter to me that I got a C because im dropping it and unis wouldnt like it anyway but I want to know if anybody else has experienced anything similar
Original post by BunnyMidnight
Congrats!!!
this year is a linear year so will have to do that all over again :'(
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

How do you mean?? I was looking to drop it anyway, as it's an AS. Just wondering what sort of impact it would have on my application and wether to get remark?

Sorry maybe I'm not understanding you properly??
ahaha

Original post by Matt.avf98
Is it OK to tell wait a wekk - 10 days to tell my insurance choice that I won't be going, while I try to get into my firm?

That's fine. You could tell them the day before your course starts that you're not turning up :tongue:
Got C C C D - AS results :/
Original post by manningA15
anyone do new edexcel history/english lit as?

I did !!
Reply 9159
Original post by goal101
Got C C C D - AS results :/

What were you aiming for?

Quick Reply

Latest