The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

their parents are "minted" basically.
Original post by money-for-all
I mean..the price of the car itself is nothing compared to insurance etc...

I am being quoted £4000+ for insurance as a named driver on parent's policy.
How the hell do people afford to drive ?

Im 19 year old male.

Usually people save up money from jobs etc. And occasionally family help out a bit.
£4000 is a lot for insurance- people don't usually pay that much. £2500 is the most that people usually pay. There are various things people can do to bring the price down. Remember as well to have your own policy if you have your own car. Only be a named driver on your parents policy if its their car and insurance and they are actually are the main drivers.*

Im 19 year old male.

hey I'm 21 if i drove my car I'd be looking at £12k a year but i got a chauffeur and well i pay a little over £10,000 this way
Reply 4
Parents
Reply 5
I'm 17, a learner (test in a little less than a month) and I have been quoted as little as £300 a year for insurance. That is fully comp with me as the main driver in my own car (okay, it is in a cheap car, but still). I have had a job since I was 14, I will be paying for my car, insurance, tax, MOT, petrol, any work that needs doing, and I have paid for all my lessons, theory and practical test too. It also depends, believe it or not, where you live, how old you are, male or female etc....I live in the country and I am female, therefore my insurance would be lower than say a male the same age as me living in a city or high-crime area. Look at different cars perhaps, if you set your heart on something flashy you will have to save up. I on the other hand am getting a relatively cheap functioning car that has quite low insurance. That's the plan, anyway.

Im 19 year old male.

Wow, £4K is mind boggling, what make/model of car was that?

TBH, some areas have really high insurance, for example, inner parts of London. One thing is to try insuring when you are at your college address. Another is, I know it sucks, to wait a year - rates tend to start going down when you hit the 20s. Still, that really is a lot and I can see why you are amazed by it.
It's not as expensive as you make i t out to be, i bought, tax'd mot'd, insured etc my car for under 3k.
Reply 8
If your parents aren't paying it for you then you'd likely need a job with enough expendable income to warrant spending money on a car
It's so much cheaper medium term to get a new car with insurance. Ok you have to wait a few years for deposit and age but you save a lot
Original post by alicebrr
I'm 17, a learner (test in a little less than a month) and I have been quoted as little as £300 a year for insurance. That is fully comp with me as the main driver in my own car (okay, it is in a cheap car, but still). I have had a job since I was 14, I will be paying for my car, insurance, tax, MOT, petrol, any work that needs doing, and I have paid for all my lessons, theory and practical test too. It also depends, believe it or not, where you live, how old you are, male or female etc....I live in the country and I am female, therefore my insurance would be lower than say a male the same age as me living in a city or high-crime area. Look at different cars perhaps, if you set your heart on something flashy you will have to save up. I on the other hand am getting a relatively cheap functioning car that has quite low insurance. That's the plan, anyway.

You'll find that once you pass your test, the insurance will increase at least a little bit unfortunately :frown: I got clobbered with an extra £300-400 when I passed a month after my insurance started!
Original post by mobbsy91
You'll find that once you pass your test, the insurance will increase at least a little bit unfortunately :frown: I got clobbered with an extra £300-400 when I passed a month after my insurance started!

I haven't got a car yet, or insurance oddly enough. I have just been looking in preparation and those were the prices that came up for a newly qualified driver who is 17 y.o. All the same that is pretty awful!
I haven't got a car yet, or insurance oddly enough. I have just been looking in preparation and those were the prices that came up for a newly qualified driver who is 17 y.o. All the same that is pretty awful!

£300 for newly passed at 17!?? ****ing hell... never seen it quite that low...
Original post by mobbsy91
£300 for newly passed at 17!?? ****ing hell... never seen it quite that low...

Yeah...probably helped by living in the middle of Wales surrounded by places that no-one can pronounce...
4k is a hell of lot. My mate's brother has just started driving, 17 years old and he's paying £1500 a year atm, paying it all himself through his part time work.
The type of car, area you live in, your job description, where it's kept overnight and estimated annual mileage all make a considerable difference. I personally didn't even start my lessons until I was in the over-21s bracket so it was cheaper for me then anyway, my insurance was 1k a year for a 2000 reg Peugeot 206. I've of course always funded my driving myself.

I'm 17, a learner (test in a little less than a month) and I have been quoted as little as £300 a year for insurance. That is fully comp with me as the main driver in my own car (okay, it is in a cheap car, but still).

I imagine you've put in your quotes that you're still a learner? If not, those quotes are for learner insurance then, I'm afraid, and getting a quote in which you put yourself down as having a full license and the price will look a shyte sight larger, unfortunately - so, just a warning, you might be in for a bit of a shock if you decide to wait until after you've passed your test to check this out.

If you have gotten a quote as a full license holder and it was that price, you must live in an area with a ridiculously low crime rate and a lack of traffic!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WoodyMKC
4k is a hell of lot. My mate's brother has just started driving, 17 years old and he's paying £1500 a year atm, paying it all himself through his part time work.
The type of car, area you live in, your job description, where it's kept overnight and estimated annual mileage all make a considerable difference. I personally didn't even start my lessons until I was in the over-21s bracket so it was cheaper for me then anyway, my insurance was 1k a year for a 2000 reg Peugeot 206. I've of course always funded my driving myself.

I imagine you've put in your quotes that you're still a learner? If not, those quotes are for learner insurance then, I'm afraid, and getting a quote in which you put yourself down as having a full license and the price will look a shyte sight larger, unfortunately - so, just a warning, you might be in for a bit of a shock if you decide to wait until after you've passed your test to check this out.

If you have gotten a quote as a full license holder and it was that price, you must live in an area with a ridiculously low crime rate and a lack of traffic!

Ahhhhhh flip. I didn't think of that to be honest. All the same, my insurance will be £1100 per year, but I haven't carried out full research yet.... Even at that price it doesn't seem too bad...4k seems high!!
Ahhhhhh flip. I didn't think of that to be honest. All the same, my insurance will be £1100 per year, but I haven't carried out full research yet.... Even at that price it doesn't seem too bad...4k seems high!!

It happens haha, my best mate was telling me that his insurance was going to be so-and-so a price until I told him that! Yeah, a bit over a grand is about right.
I get my car in two weeks, insurance is a little over 1k for two of us, road tax and mot you only pay once a year and i'll be making alot of money from my car which will cover the fuel...i guess just work for it..

Im 19 year old male.

Or you could ask how the hell commuters can afford public transport? It's over priced (most expensive rail fares in Europe) and crap.

Then there's buses with their rude miserable bus drivers who aren't at all greatful that the £5 bus fare you payed to go just a mile down the road is helping pay their wages and that if they hate the public so much then why did they choose to be a MF'in bus driver???? No to mention more people would cycle but buses have made roads too dangerous for cycling.

You could however say that people could ride mopeds instead of cars, but only a small portion of car drivers have entitlement to ride a moped without taking a test at extra expense.

You could get a Segway but our miserable kill joy government is getting them banned in public despite people using them all over Europe except here they'll be banned.

No wonder being on the dole is a better option than commuting!
You'll probably find your parents car has too large an engine for first-time drivers, or is classed as a performance vehicle.

Time to buy a jalopy! :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending