The Student Room Group

Terrible AS results, how do you revise efficiently?

Hey guys, I got my AS results today and they were terrible:
C,C,C, D. They're way off my predictions.
I wanted to know how do you A grade students revise, when do you start and how many hours do you do a day? The way I revise is by just reading the textbook over and over again and making notes, then just reading my notes again. I do some past papers now and then as well. How can I improve my revision technique. Please help
The thing with revision is that everyone revises differently, using different techniques and for different lengths. Clearly your revision technique hasn't helped you, so change that around. Search up online for different techniques, such as using colour, flash cards perhaps, mind maps or diagrams etc.

Also, past papers are key at A Level. You have to go through every past paper available to you. Cliched as it sounds, practice makes perfect, and it will help you get familiar the exams you undertake.
Reply 2
I'm in the same boat, I only did one AS level and i taught myself it in my spare time and I got a C. Im not the best example because I didnt do too well either but i make really simple factual mindmaps on every section i need to know. I also make big posters in different colours and stick them up around my room so i can read them as im getting ready to go out ect. I also made flashcards and went over them until i could recite them. i started about 2/3 months before the exam and did about an hour or two a night increasing it up to the start of my exams. Like i said.. I did naff too but thought some ideas were better than nothing :smile:
Obviously it can vary hugely from person to person (and even subject to subject - I got two A's, yet also got a U in one subject so...) but this year I found that talking through the content and explaining it to someone else, almost as if teaching it to them, really helped me to get the A's. I also made mindmaps that were quite simple, like maybe just writing down specific topic headings, so that I could look at them and then try to recall as much as possible about that topic in order to test myself.
Like I said there's no guarantee that the same thing will work for you, its all about trying different methods and seeing what works for you :smile:
Good luck with revision over the next year!
I got 4As at AS and personally, I think it was purely due to the sheer amount of past papers I did (my subjects are biology, chemistry, history and Spanish). I would do a past paper MINIMUM 2 times, and I would continue until I was achieving perfect or near perfect scores. For my humanities, I focussed more explicitly on formulating essay plans etc. Tbh I didn't really use the textbooks that much.
Past papers, past papers and past papers :smile:
Original post by KardoTSR-
Hey guys, I got my AS results today and they were terrible:
C,C,C, D. They're way off my predictions.
I wanted to know how do you A grade students revise, when do you start and how many hours do you do a day? The way I revise is by just reading the textbook over and over again and making notes, then just reading my notes again. I do some past papers now and then as well. How can I improve my revision technique. Please help

You call that terrible, I got UUUC consider yourself lucky...

Quick Reply

Latest