The Student Room Group

York or lancaster for economics bsc

Hi

I'm stuck deciding between the uni of York and Lancaster to study economics. I have been given an offer by both, Lancaster has a higher ranking but York is a Russell group university. If anyone knows about the nightlife and experience from either of these universities that would be much appreciated.
I'm biased to say Lancaster because I just got a place there and I'm very excited :colondollar: But you should base it on the course content, not prestige levels and stuff.
Have you looked at the course content of both? Have you had a look at both places? You need to consider where you want to live for the next 3-4 years.
Original post by akshay118
Hi

I'm stuck deciding between the uni of York and Lancaster to study economics. I have been given an offer by both, Lancaster has a higher ranking but York is a Russell group university. If anyone knows about the nightlife and experience from either of these universities that would be much appreciated.

I would say York ,y self
Reply 4
Original post by wickedisgood
I'm biased to say Lancaster because I just got a place there and I'm very excited :colondollar: But you should base it on the course content, not prestige levels and stuff.

Hi

What was there campus and halls like ? I haven't been to either York and Lancaster.
Hi

What was there campus and halls like ? I haven't been to either York and Lancaster.

I really love the campus and accommodation at Lancaster. It's kinda small compared to some unis but its really homey and cute and I prefer that kind of thing. The accommodation was also really nice in general and its won a bunch of awards for that kind of stuff in the past.

I'd suggest going to the open days for them if there are any happening soon? Sometimes the vibe you can get from unis can be a deal maker or breaker, I'd say its definitely important to visit one before taking the offer for it either way.
Reply 6
Hi

Ignore the Russell Group business - it means nothing out there in the big wide world of work.

Quite right.
Reply 7
I really love the campus and accommodation at Lancaster. It's kinda small compared to some unis but its really homey and cute and I prefer that kind of thing. The accommodation was also really nice in general and its won a bunch of awards for that kind of stuff in the past.

I'd suggest going to the open days for them if there are any happening soon? Sometimes the vibe you can get from unis can be a deal maker or breaker, I'd say its definitely important to visit one before taking the offer for it either way.

Hi
I got to make a decision by tomorrow morning so I cant visit either. What's the social life at Lancaster like ?
Reply 8
Original post by Minerva
Ignore the Russell Group business - it means nothing out there in the big wide world of work.

Quite right.

I've heard some many things about Russell group unis saying its important, not important etc. What's the nightlife like at these 2 unis?
Reply 9
I've heard some many things about Russell group unis saying its important, not important etc. What's the nightlife like at these 2 unis?
Pretty much like the night life anywhere else, I would think, but I don't know. It's hardly the basis on which I would make a decision between unis, to be honest.

The Russell Group is a collection of unis that banded together a long time ago. Some of them are very highly ranked, others less so. Lancaster is at least as highly ranked as most RG unis.

Most employers, if challenged, would be unable to say which unis were in the Russell Group, and which weren't. They really, really, don't care.
Hi
I got to make a decision by tomorrow morning so I cant visit either. What's the social life at Lancaster like ?

Why does it have to be made so soon? Seems like a bit of a rush to be making such a big decision. Lancaster has a tonne of societies, a (seemingly) very good student union and lots of on campus bars and stuff, one for each of the different colleges, but the town itself doesn't have big clubs and whatnot. Though without much knowledge of York, I'd assume it doesn't either. I've been told that the small campus vibe makes it very easy to make friends and therefore is good socially
Reply 11
Why does it have to be made so soon? Seems like a bit of a rush to be making such a big decision. Lancaster has a tonne of societies, a (seemingly) very good student union and lots of on campus bars and stuff, one for each of the different colleges, but the town itself doesn't have big clubs and whatnot. Though without much knowledge of York, I'd assume it doesn't either. I've been told that the small campus vibe makes it very easy to make friends and therefore is good socially

It's through clearing so they want a decision soon. I've looked at the course for each and I do prefer York's but its still very close. They're both really good universities.
Reply 12

What are the transport routes like ? I live in Leicester but I would like to come back quite often. York is closer but do either have good transport links back to the east midlands?
What are the transport routes like ? I live in Leicester but I would like to come back quite often. York is closer but do either have good transport links back to the east midlands?
Why not do some journey planning on the National Rail website?

These are relatively minor considerations, though - the important bit is whether the course is what appeals to you.
Hi

Hi,

Why not have a look on some of our student blogs, they'll give you a flavour of the place.

Elise is a current Economics student here so you can read her blog:
http://blogs.york.ac.uk/student-voices/author/ee584/

Hope this helps,
Mark
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending