The Student Room Group

UK or American Universities?

Hi, so I just received my AS results today of AABB in Chemistry, maths, further maths and physics. I have been looking at applying to Oxford and Imperial College to do chemistry. My predicted grades should hopefully be A*A*AA which meets the requirements. I have done plenty of extracurricular stuff with some relating to chemistry such as doing the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge and getting Roentgenium award, chemistry work experience, lectures, summer schools and doing the UKMT maths challenge and getting gold and invitation to their summer school... the list goes on, I basically live for chemistry and it is my absolute passion.

With this being said I know my AS grades aren't great but I know I can certainly turn it around next year however I don't know if this is good enough for Oxford. I started having a look at some of the top US Unis and just wonder if I'd have a better chance with those if I do really well in the SAT.
Original post by NMitch
Hi, so I just received my AS results today of AABB in Chemistry, maths, further maths and physics. I have been looking at applying to Oxford and Imperial College to do chemistry. My predicted grades should hopefully be A*A*AA which meets the requirements. I have done plenty of extracurricular stuff with some relating to chemistry such as doing the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge and getting Roentgenium award, chemistry work experience, lectures, summer schools and doing the UKMT maths challenge and getting gold and invitation to their summer school... the list goes on, I basically live for chemistry and it is my absolute passion.

With this being said I know my AS grades aren't great but I know I can certainly turn it around next year however I don't know if this is good enough for Oxford. I started having a look at some of the top US Unis and just wonder if I'd have a better chance with those if I do really well in the SAT.

Your extracurriculars are impressive by British standards, but I don't think they are good enough to make a competitive application to US universities. To stand a chance at the top US colleges you really need something amazing (e.g. being a published author, starting your own business, founding a charity etc).

Try for Oxford and Imperial, I think you have a good chance if you are predicated A*A*AA. There's a lot of information for prospective applicants in the University of Oxford and Imperial College subforums.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by Snufkin
Your extracurriculars are impressive by British standards, but I don't think they are good enough to make a competitive application to US universities. To stand a chance at the top US colleges you really need something amazing (e.g. being a published author, starting your own business, founding a charity etc).

I sell cakes/cookies at school and I've got a reputation as a baker does that count??? Aw yisss off 2 Harvard thanx x
Original post by ImagineCats
I sell cakes/cookies at school and I've got a reputation as a baker does that count??? Aw yisss off 2 Harvard thanx x

Don't be silly. :erm:

Quick Reply

Latest