The Student Room Group

Help with AS results?!

Okay so after my AS exams in May/June I didn't feel overly pessimistic about them, but after collecting my AS results today I realise I was wrong. I had ACCD with the A in Maths, C in Further Maths, C in Chemistry and D in Biology.
I want to study Maths in Warwick Uni next September but am worried that I won't get the grades needed as they're asking for A*AA with Grade 1 in any STEP exam, should I look into other Universities for my first choice?
I also need to drop a subject as the work load is too much for me to handle. I'd love to drop Chemistry as I don't enjoy it, but as you can see my grade is better than Biology, which I thoroughly enjoy. Would Biology or Chemistry look better on a University Application to study Maths?
I will be resitting FP1 and FP2 next summer but am unsure on wether to resit Biology and Chemistry or just Biology.
Any help/opinion would be highly appreciated!! :smile:
Original post by abbiechantellex
Okay so after my AS exams in May/June I didn't feel overly pessimistic about them, but after collecting my AS results today I realise I was wrong. I had ACCD with the A in Maths, C in Further Maths, C in Chemistry and D in Biology.
I want to study Maths in Warwick Uni next September but am worried that I won't get the grades needed as they're asking for A*AA with Grade 1 in any STEP exam, should I look into other Universities for my first choice?
I also need to drop a subject as the work load is too much for me to handle. I'd love to drop Chemistry as I don't enjoy it, but as you can see my grade is better than Biology, which I thoroughly enjoy. Would Biology or Chemistry look better on a University Application to study Maths?
I will be resitting FP1 and FP2 next summer but am unsure on wether to resit Biology and Chemistry or just Biology.
Any help/opinion would be highly appreciated!! :smile:

I can't say much concerning the sciences, but I would recommend sticking with Warwick as your firm choice but make sure the insurance uni you pick if your second choice. Make it realistic so that you definitely get into that one in the case that Warwick doesn't turn out too great. AC across Maths and FM is not a bad result, that's what I've achieved last year and this year I'm walking away with A*B concerning those A-Levels overall so it's not impossible.
Warwick is very competitive University and I'm afraid that a grade C in Further Maths would likely disadvantage your application. I cannot, however, say with certainty whether or not you'd be successful.

Neither Biology nor Chemistry is preferable. Pick what you prefer.
Reply 3
Chemistry is a bit more mathematical than biology so it might look better, but to be honest it's your maths and further maths grades that they'll really be looking at. I don't think choosing biology or chemistry should make too big of a difference overall. You could still get A*AA but it might be tough. Would you be willing to resit any AS modules, or do you think that'd be a lot of extra work? It's just that in my experience A2 maths and A2 further maths are a lot tougher than AS. But if you work hard you can still get A*AA! Maybe try asking a teacher for advice? As they'll know what you're capable of better than us :smile:
Original post by RDKGames
I can't say much concerning the sciences, but I would recommend sticking with Warwick as your firm choice but make sure the insurance uni you pick if your second choice. Make it realistic so that you definitely get into that one in the case that Warwick doesn't turn out too great. AC across Maths and FM is not a bad result, that's what I've achieved last year and this year I'm walking away with A*B concerning those A-Levels overall so it's not impossible.

Is it worth me resitting the 2 Pure Further Maths exams in hope of raising my grade? Or would it affect my performance in the FP3 exam?
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Warwick is very competitive University and I'm afraid that a grade C in Further Maths would likely disadvantage your application. I cannot, however, say with certainty whether or not you'd be successful.

Neither Biology nor Chemistry is preferable. Pick what you prefer.

Is it worth resitting or would Warwick only look at my first go?
Original post by JC52
Chemistry is a bit more mathematical than biology so it might look better, but to be honest it's your maths and further maths grades that they'll really be looking at. I don't think choosing biology or chemistry should make too big of a difference overall. You could still get A*AA but it might be tough. Would you be willing to resit any AS modules, or do you think that'd be a lot of extra work? It's just that in my experience A2 maths and A2 further maths are a lot tougher than AS. But if you work hard you can still get A*AA! Maybe try asking a teacher for advice? As they'll know what you're capable of better than us :smile:

I'd be more than happy to resit both Biology modules and also the both Pure modules for Further Maths if it could raise my grade, but I'm not sure if that would affect my uni application or not :smile:
Original post by abbiechantellex
Is it worth resitting or would Warwick only look at my first go?

Uni's only care about the end results. So you can resit it as many times as you like. I'd suggest resitting them definitely, especially if you believe you can do much better than that. Plus if you resit FP modules, the content you learn next year can help you get better at those two modules so you have nothing to lose! (apart from some money, which is worth the investment!)
Original post by RDKGames
Uni's only care about the end results. So you can resit it as many times as you like. I'd suggest resitting them definitely, especially if you believe you can do much better than that. Plus if you resit FP modules, the content you learn next year can help you get better at those two modules so you have nothing to lose! (apart from some money, which is worth the investment!)

I guess I best add 4 more exams to the list for next year then. Thank you!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest