The Student Room Group

Failed AS terribly, my life is in shambles :'(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Hero987
Retake the as which actually counts and work really hard for the other 2 and you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That has been my initial plan, even before I finally got my results. I knew I flopped Law, just didn't imagine doing so bad. I'll try and see if I can just resit the 2 law modules and not get kicked off the other 2 subjects so I can work my assssss off for A2.
Original post by RZA17
I know. I've only got myself to blame. And I'm definitely considering doing an EPQ but with the excessive workload and pressure that comes with failure, I'll have to really think whether I can deal with another thing on my plate.

IGrades more importnat,so be honest as to what you can manage. you have to eb a different more focused and determined student.
Reply 22
Original post by Deyesy
Honestly, don't let you put it off you.

I resat the year and changed the place I studied - ended up taking slightly different A Levels (History, Sociology and Psychology instead of History, Biology and Religious Studies) and now I study Psychology at university; something I may not have ended up doing had I not redone my AS's :^_^:

It does sound promising but I think I'll first just weigh out my options with my sixth form before resorting to taking another year. Props to you anyways.
Reply 23
Original post by 999tigger
IGrades more importnat,so be honest as to what you can manage. you have to eb a different more focused and determined student.

Definitely. Driven, positive and determined student pending.
Reply 24
Thank you for both the advice and motivation x
Reply 25
Original post by a012
think about re doing As and are your subjects linear?

i also got bad grades
got 2 bs 1E and 1U
any help?

I'll deffo be redoing my AS law exams as it is 1/2 my overall grade, but I don't know if the option to retake all of my AS exams is a possibility? The other two subjects I faied don't go towards my final grade, Psychology, being one of them also includes a whole new module for A2. 2 B's more than me, that's worthy of a pat on the back.
Reply 26
Original post by RZA17
It does sound promising but I think I'll first just weigh out my options with my sixth form before resorting to taking another year. Props to you anyways.

I think weighing out all your options is a good idea but definitely don't discount retaking your AS's as an option :smile:

I also took another two years repairing some of my A Levels too before I actually got to university. Universities can see perseverance and not giving up despite experiencing setbacks as a massive positive
Reply 27
Original post by noticemesenpai
Well i have done a third year due to changing my mind about what i want to do in the future. I'm glad i made that choice because i ended up getting 3 A's ^^

I'm kinda put off of doing another year by the fact if I was to eventually get the grades I needed, I'd be entering with a year younger than me? It's a pathetic reason, but I just can't seem to get over it?
Reply 28
Original post by Deyesy
I think weighing out all your options is a good idea but definitely don't discount retaking your AS's as an option :smile:

I also took another two years repairing some of my A Levels too before I actually got to university. Universities can see perseverance and not giving up despite experiencing setbacks as a massive positive

Do you think retaking my AS's whilst completing my A2 is possible? Definitely insane, but not impossible surely?
Reply 29
Retake or start looking for an apprenticeship. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. I'm sorry but it's true, I really think you should give year 12 another shot becuase you can't build on those grades And don't do the years together, highly intelligent people struggle with that, it's understandable to do that if you got a C/D becuase you've got the basics and doing A2 could help with the harder ASstuff but with U's and E's at AS you lack the knowledge to tackle A2
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by RZA17
I'll deffo be redoing my AS law exams as it is 1/2 my overall grade, but I don't know if the option to retake all of my AS exams is a possibility? The other two subjects I faied don't go towards my final grade, Psychology, being one of them also includes a whole new module for A2. 2 B's more than me, that's worthy of a pat on the back.

i think you will be able to retake psychology because you need to know AS content for A2 psychology but A2 there will be more things to learn.

im thinking of doing an intense year for 1 subject so that i can go to uni next year
is doing AS and A2 in one year really hard?
Reply 31
Original post by zayn008
Retake or start looking for an apprenticeship. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. I'm sorry but it's true, I really think you should give year 12 another shot becuase you can't build on those grades

Quite an appropriate quote. Thanks for the advice, and trust me I'm considering it.
Original post by RZA17
I'm kinda put off of doing another year by the fact if I was to eventually get the grades I needed, I'd be entering with a year younger than me? It's a pathetic reason, but I just can't seem to get over it?

I was worried about that when i started! Turns out there are different age groups! I thought I'd be the eldest but that's not the case at all trust me! The eldest in my class is 26.
Original post by RZA17
Was expecting mediocre results anyways due to my lack of effort and revision but instead got worse than I could ever have imagined - 2 U's and an E. One of the U's being in Law, a subject I passionately wanted to study at Uni.

With those grades I'd imagine I can forget about Uni :frown: but I feel like if I can prove to my teachers within a month or so that I will work hard maybe they could predict me reasonable grades? Not only can I forget about Uni but I'm scared I may get kicked out of my sixth form as my sort of grades affect league tables. I am so extremely disappointed. You really do get out what you put in :frown:

Do we have to show our AS grades on our applications? Will lots of solid work experience and a good personal statement maybe help balance things out? I'm not sure how results are affected in relation to the new specifications so I'm honestly clueless rn? SOMEONE PLS HELP.

You don't have to forget about Uni. I achieved the exact same grades as you at AS. I decided to do a BTEC afterwards and did extremely well. I ended up getting offers from Exeter and Kent to name a few!. The BTEC was thoroughly enjoyable too, and a lot less stressful. I achieved a 2.1 degree in the end :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by RZA17
Quite an appropriate quote. Thanks for the advice, and trust me I'm considering it.

My statistics teacher used to say it all year, I left preparation till the last minute and all becuase of stats I ended up with a B today, I was quite confident I'd get an A but knew stats was hold me back if anything and I didn't prepare. So I got a punch in the arm from him today lol

Hope you figure it out, tbh I'm actually in a boat where I wish I could do AS again even though I've done okay… just do what you think you'll enjoy and be prepared!!
Reply 35
Original post by RZA17
Do you think retaking my AS's whilst completing my A2 is possible? Definitely insane, but not impossible surely?

I wouldn't recommend it personally. That would mean what? 6 summer exams?
Reply 36
Original post by a012
i think you will be able to retake psychology because you need to know AS content for A2 psychology but A2 there will be more things to learn.

im thinking of doing an intense year for 1 subject so that i can go to uni next year
is doing AS and A2 in one year really hard?

As my AS doesn't contribute towards my final psychology grade, I feel it'd be pointless retaking the AS exam as it basically makes up the A2 module, minus a few topic which I'll be covering in A2 lessons from September anyways ..that's if they don't kickick me off the course :smile:

And in response to your question, I couldn't answer that for you as I've only taken AS exams/completed AS work and not both AS and A2. I'd imagine so though, AS was tough enough.
Reply 37
Original post by fatima1998
i am in the same boat :redface:
well try your best next year and if you think you need to do 3 years instead then i would recommend it :yy:

The untimely words of Sean Connery spring to mind here... :P
'Your "best"! Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen'
So, I passed two of my AS Level subjects and got E's in my other two subjects. Can't really comment on it, because I worked my butt off for these exams. That one day where I had a clash with my subjects honestly just ruined it for ME. Unfortunately, at my college, you're required to get 3 grades above a D to continue to Yr 13 which I haven't achieved. I talked to my head about it and he said I'm definitely staying in the college but I still have to make an appeal via email. Now, the question is, can anyone tell me how on earth I should start this email because I am overthinking too much and I've written the email and scrapped the email a number of times now!
Reply 39
Original post by zayn008
My statistics teacher used to say it all year, I left preparation till the last minute and all becuase of stats I ended up with a B today, I was quite confident I'd get an A but knew stats was hold me back if anything and I didn't prepare. So I got a punch in the arm from him today lol

Hope you figure it out, tbh I'm actually in a boat where I wish I could do AS again even though I've done okay… just do what you think you'll enjoy and be prepared!!

My law teacher had warned my class that there would be a few retaking the AS modules during A2 and the doubled pressure that comes with it. I vowed that I wouldn't be one of them, yet my nightmare has become reality which is just fab.

A 'B' is still something to be proud of, especially for those of us who failed miserably :smile: You've done better than okay, congrats and thank you for your advice. I've yet to face the hard bit so better put my brave face and thinking hat on ASAP lol.

Quick Reply

Latest