The Student Room Group

Applying for medicine Alevel subject helppppp?

I'm about to start college and before finalising my subject options im a bit unsure if the combination of biology, chemistry, psychology and geography is good as i want to do medicine. I've heard that unis prefer it when students have maths and physics. Does anyone whether psychology and geography are respected subjects at med schools?
Original post by 9091student
I'm about to start college and before finalising my subject options im a bit unsure if the combination of biology, chemistry, psychology and geography is good as i want to do medicine. I've heard that unis prefer it when students have maths and physics. Does anyone whether psychology and geography are respected subjects at med schools?

MEDICINE DOESNT REQUIRE MATHS OR PHYSICS NOR DOES IT PREFER THEM! (unless you want to apply to cambridge!)

Sorry it is large but getting that disclaimer out there before anyone tries to tell you otherwise.

I did bio, chem and geog to A2 and loved every second, I am now going into my second year of medical school. So many people will try to tell you that you need maths or physics or universities prefer it when you have maths or physics, but excluding cambridge, you do not need maths or physics and they are not prefered/given special credit over other Alevels.

Do the Alevels which you feel you are likely to enjoy the most and score well in!

Best of luck, Natalie x

It is worth looking at the entry requirements for medicine at specific universities you're interested in. A general rule of thumb that most universities adhere to is biology, chemistry and one other subject that can be whatever. So your choices are perfectly fine.
Reply 3
Original post by Natalierm2707
MEDICINE DOESNT REQUIRE MATHS OR PHYSICS NOR DOES IT PREFER THEM! (unless you want to apply to cambridge!)

Sorry it is large but getting that disclaimer out there before anyone tries to tell you otherwise.

I did bio, chem and geog to A2 and loved every second, I am now going into my second year of medical school. So many people will try to tell you that you need maths or physics or universities prefer it when you have maths or physics, but excluding cambridge, you do not need maths or physics and they are not prefered/given special credit over other Alevels.

Do the Alevels which you feel you are likely to enjoy the most and score well in!

Best of luck, Natalie x

Thank you so much for replying! If you don't mind me asking, which uni are you at?
Reply 4
Original post by MrDystopia
It is worth looking at the entry requirements for medicine at specific universities you're interested in. A general rule of thumb that most universities adhere to is biology, chemistry and one other subject that can be whatever. So your choices are perfectly fine.

Thank you :smile:
Thank you so much for replying! If you don't mind me asking, which uni are you at?

Cardiff :h::h:
Reply 6
I have friends from medical school who studied Psychology and I studied Geography. Look at the individual requirements for the universities that you want to apply to but for many of them those subjects would be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest