The Student Room Group

Bad AS results please help!

I just got my as level results and for some subjects i did bad. I got B in maths B in business E in chemistry and U in physics. I'm thinking of continuing maths and business to a2 and thinking of doing an intense year of a subject.

is that a good idea? how hard is it doing as and a2 in one year?
Original post by a012
I just got my as level results and for some subjects i did bad. I got B in maths B in business E in chemistry and U in physics. I'm thinking of continuing maths and business to a2 and thinking of doing an intense year of a subject.

I got AEEE in my AS and resat all of my as exams whilst doing my a2 and finished with BEE, so personally i'd advising thinking carefully what you'd like to resit as although you wouldnt be doing as many exams as I did, the less exams you do the better really.
Reply 2
so lucky, you got a b , i wanted a b and got a c
Original post by a012

I got AEEE in my AS and resat all of my as exams whilst doing my a2 and finished with BEE, so personally i'd advising thinking carefully what you'd like to resit as although you wouldnt be doing as many exams as I did, the less exams you do the better really.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle

im thinking of keeping the subjects i got B in and continue to do that for a2. Drop the subjects i did bad in and take up a subject and complete it in a year. i know i'm going to have quite a few exams but dont want to do a 3rd year for one subject.
Reply 5
Original post by te.lope
so lucky, you got a b , i wanted a b and got a c

what grades did you get?
Original post by a012
im thinking of keeping the subjects i got B in and continue to do that for a2. Drop the subjects i did bad in and take up a subject and complete it in a year. i know i'm going to have quite a few exams but dont want to do a 3rd year for one subject.

That does seem achievable as long as you can on top of things.
Reply 7
That does seem achievable as long as you can on top of things.

if i do that, when applying to uni for next year do i include that i'm doing as and a2 for a subject in a year? what grades will they base me on?
Reply 8
Original post by a012
what grades did you get?

Maths was the only as that i did since all the other subjects i do the exams at the end of the year, so all i have is my AS maths grade (C)
Original post by a012
if i do that, when applying to uni for next year do i include that i'm doing as and a2 for a subject in a year? what grades will they base me on?

You would include the grades you got this year, what you are doing for A2 and the subject you are doing as and a2 for in one year. They'd go off the A2's but it depends what you get predicted for the one you do in a year and if that's believable i suppose.
Reply 10
You would include the grades you got this year, what you are doing for A2 and the subject you are doing as and a2 for in one year. They'd go off the A2's but it depends what you get predicted for the one you do in a year and if that's believable i suppose.

ok thanks, would my predicted grades be high for the subjects i got Bs in?
Original post by a012

I did an as and a2 subject in one year this year. When you're filling in your UCAS application, you simply enter for example, AS in Mathematics with grade Pending (year 2017) and A2 in Mathematics with grade pending (year 2017). They have easy to use drop down lists, so don't worry about trying entering them too much.
Reply 12
Original post by backtraced
I did an as and a2 subject in one year this year. When you're filling in your UCAS application, you simply enter for example, AS in Mathematics with grade Pending (year 2017) and A2 in Mathematics with grade pending (year 2017). They have easy to use drop down lists, so don't worry about trying entering them too much.

How did you find it doing it one year? so i can still go to uni next year considering i get good grades?
Reply 13
Also, would like to ask whether doing 2 A levels and 1 btec is better than doing 3 A levels?
Original post by a012
ok thanks, would my predicted grades be high for the subjects i got Bs in?

Original post by a012
Also, would like to ask whether doing 2 A levels and 1 btec is better than doing 3 A levels?

It depends on your teachers/ school and that depends on what you are applying for really.
Reply 15
It depends on your teachers/ school and that depends on what you are applying for really.

i'm looking to either study psychology or Law
however, with psychology unis ask for gsce maths at B and i dont have that, does that mean despite me getting the results i will still get rejected?
Original post by a012
How did you find it doing it one year? so i can still go to uni next year considering i get good grades?

I found it rather easy, but that might be because I stayed an extra year (i'm in year 14).

It depends on what sort of course you're wanting to cram the 2 years into 1 in. I personally did BTEC applied science 2 years in one, because I couldn't do any others due to the change in specs. I originally wanted to do English Lit 2 years in 1. To be honest, I found the BTEC such a breeze to complete in 1 year, and I came out with a D* in the end.

Overall, I have a B in Maths, B in health and social (though it should be an A, currently arguing with OCR over it...) and a D*, as well as AS biology and AS further maths at a D and an E respectively. Granted, my mathematics was just a resit of year 12 (C1, C2, S1 and D1) as I already completed C3/4 in year 13, and my health and social care was just a resit of 2 modules of coursework.

As claireestelle said, it depends on the course and university as to whether BTECs would be a good choice. I'd email or phone (though i'd steer clear of phones atm due to clearing) prospective universities and ask them if they'll accept BTECs if they're at a specific grade.

With your GCSE maths issue, i'm not completely certain but you might. Again, i'd email or phone universities and ask them before applying.
Reply 17
I found it rather easy, but that might be because I stayed an extra year (i'm in year 14).

It depends on what sort of course you're wanting to cram the 2 years into 1 in. I personally did BTEC applied science 2 years in one, because I couldn't do any others due to the change in specs. I originally wanted to do English Lit 2 years in 1. To be honest, I found the BTEC such a breeze to complete in 1 year, and I came out with a D* in the end.

Overall, I have a B in Maths, B in health and social (though it should be an A, currently arguing with OCR over it...) and a D*, as well as AS biology and AS further maths at a D and an E respectively. Granted, my mathematics was just a resit of year 12 (C1, C2, S1 and D1) as I already completed C3/4 in year 13, and my health and social care was just a resit of 2 modules of coursework.

As claireestelle said, it depends on the course and university as to whether BTECs would be a good choice. I'd email or phone (though i'd steer clear of phones atm due to clearing) prospective universities and ask them if they'll accept BTECs if they're at a specific grade.

With your GCSE maths issue, i'm not completely certain but you might. Again, i'd email or phone universities and ask them before applying.

i will definitely call and ask. i'm planning on doing AS and A2 RS. ive noticed that the specification for RS changes this year so im not sure how it will work? will i still be able to do it in one year?

my second choice is doing AS and A2 law
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by a012
i will definitely call and ask. i'm planning on doing AS and A2 RS. ive noticed that the specification for RS changes this year so im not sure how it will work? will i still be able to do it in one year?

my second choice is doing AS and A2 law

That might be a question to ask the teachers of that subject - i'm not entirely too sure, but if the specification changes then you may not be able to.

It might also be worth talking to the teachers who teach your Law course, so you can get a feel for the course and see what they think about trying 2 years in one.
Reply 19
That might be a question to ask the teachers of that subject - i'm not entirely too sure, but if the specification changes then you may not be able to.

It might also be worth talking to the teachers who teach your Law course, so you can get a feel for the course and see what they think about trying 2 years in one.

yeah i will talk to the teachers, i checked the law course and that hasn't changed into linear yet.

Quick Reply

Latest