The Student Room Group

I've failed my maths AS level

I've just received my results for my AS level. I got a D in both media and English literature, and I have my Btec science which is a two year course so won't get it till next year. But I also got a U in my maths AS level and now I don't know what to do, would anyone be able to help, because I think there is a new syllabus or something is changing for maths next year, and I'm so confused. Also I'm too scared to tell my mom as we don't have a good relationship and I know she will be highly disappointed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Haribo_Krissy
I've just received my results for my AS level. I got a D in both media and English literature, and I have my Btec science which is a two year course so won't get it till next year. But I also got a U in my maths AS level and now I don't know what to do, would anyone be able to help, because I think there is a new syllabus or something is changing for maths next year, and I'm so confused.

Are you planning on retaking the year?
Original post by Slowbro93
Are you planning on retaking the year?

I'm not sure, I'm wondering if it's a sensible option.
Reply 3
What do you plan to do at university?
Original post by vela1
What do you plan to do at university?

I wanted to see what results I got but I wanted to either do a media course or a nursing course.
I'm not sure, I'm wondering if it's a sensible option.

If you feel that by retaking the year you'll get a better understanding of mathematics, then there's no harm in retaking the year.
If you feel that by retaking the year you'll get a better understanding of mathematics, then there's no harm in retaking the year.

Okay Thank you, I might do that, would there be a new syllabus in 2017 do you know?
Okay Thank you, I might do that, would there be a new syllabus in 2017 do you know?

So the new syllabus will start in 2017, so if you retook the year you'll be on the old syllabus :smile:
So the new syllabus will start in 2017, so if you retook the year you'll be on the old syllabus :smile:

Oh thank you so much, I was so worried it'd be a new one, I appreciate your help so much.:biggrin:
Hi, I'm sorry to hear that maths didn't go so well for you. I think it would definitely be worth resitting the year, especially since most colleges don't let you continue a subject onto A2 if you haven't passed.
If you ever want any help or advice with maths, feel free to message me and I will be happy to help :smile:
I wanted to see what results I got but I wanted to either do a media course or a nursing course.

If you're wanting to apply for nursing, i'd seriously consider retaking the year. Nursing is so extremely competitive.

I was in the same sort of position as you last year, and I retook the year. I achieved a D in maths, B in health and social care, D in AS biology and an E in AS further maths. This year I was predicted an A in Health, B in maths and D* in Applied science (2 years in 1). I applied for Childrens Nursing at universities with much lower entry grades than what I was predicted, and I only recieved offers for interviews from both. Both rejected me in the end. I'm now applying for Primary Education, and my grades turned out to be equivalent to 340 UCAS points. So i'd recommend that you try and build up work experience too, as well as working on your grades. Just have a serious think about what you want to do, and how much effort you're willing to put in.
[QUOTE=backtraced;67040028]If you're wanting to apply for nursing, i'd seriously consider retaking the year. Nursing is so extremely competitive.

I was in the same sort of position as you last year, and I retook the year. I achieved a D in maths, B in health and social care, D in AS biology and an E in AS further maths. This year I was predicted an A in Health, B in maths and D* in Applied science (2 years in 1). I applied for Childrens Nursing at universities with much lower entry grades than what I was predicted, and I only recieved offers for interviews from both. Both rejected me in the end. I'm now applying for Primary Education, and my grades turned out to be equivalent to 340 UCAS points. So i'd recommend that you try and build up work experience too, as well as working on your grades. Just have a serious think about what you want to do, and how much effort you're willing to put in.

Ohh okay that means a lot thank you, I think I will do the retake. :smile:
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Hi, I'm sorry to hear that maths didn't go so well for you. I think it would definitely be worth resitting the year, especially since most colleges don't let you continue a subject onto A2 if you haven't passed.
If you ever want any help or advice with maths, feel free to message me and I will be happy to help :smile:

Thank you so much, I think I've decided I should resist the year, and thank you for offering to help I appreciate it so much :smile:
Reply 13
I failed too, got a U

Best of luck to you, hope everything works out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest