The Student Room Group

Failed AS terribly, my life is in shambles :'(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Deyesy
I wouldn't recommend it personally. That would mean what? 6 summer exams?

In my ideal world and situation, it'd mean a hell of a lot of exams.

6 Psychology, 4 English Lit? as well as Coursework on top of that and 4 Law exams ...and that's me guess-timating :/
Original post by RZA17
May have to consider retaking year 12 then :frown:

dw about it, its what I'm planning to do :smile:
Do not panic!! I was predicted B's for both Psychology and Sociology- I got a U in both!😱 I thought it was the end of the world and my hopes of going to university to study Criminology was gone. However, when I changed Sociology to Health and Social Care at A-level, I got my head down, worked hard, worried less about my friends and more on my work! Today, that paid off massively!🎉 I needed 280 UCAS points and left today with 543, getting into my top choice university AND sorting my accommodation. The best advice that I can give, is to not panic, work hard now that you know what the first year was like, and focus on yourself first!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by RZA17
In my ideal world and situation, it'd mean a hell of a lot of exams.

6 Psychology, 4 English Lit? as well as Coursework on top of that and 4 Law exams ...and that's me guess-timating :/

So 14 exams plus coursework?

In my humble opinion it would be better to not spread to yourself so thinly. More exams means being able to spend less time on each one which in turn could potentially have a negative effect on their results.
Reply 44
Original post by Deyesy
So 14 exams plus coursework?

In my humble opinion it would be better to not spread to yourself so thinly. More exams means being able to spend less time on each one which in turn could potentially have a negative effect on their results.

That's if I got the maths right, which looking at todays results is most likely wrong. You're right, I can't afford to screw up more.
Reply 45
Original post by Masonmolly07
Do not panic!! I was predicted B's for both Psychology and Sociology- I got a U in both!😱 I thought it was the end of the world and my hopes of going to university to study Criminology was gone. However, when I changed Sociology to Health and Social Care at A-level, I got my head down, worked hard, worried less about my friends and more on my work! Today, that paid off massively!🎉 I needed 280 UCAS points and left today with 543, getting into my top choice university AND sorting my accommodation. The best advice that I can give, is to not panic, work hard now that you know what the first year was like, and focus on yourself first!

Posted from TSR Mobile

WOW! Well done, that's amazing! This has honestly inspired me and filled me with hope. May I ask a few questions? Did you retake Psychology? And did you have to stay on a year?

I could also do with some advice on how to progress from here? Obviously I need to get my head down & fully commit myself to my studies but how do I go about that? As you may be able to tell my current, or should I say previous study technique has failed me so, how did you set yourself straight?? x
Original post by RZA17
I have, but it's honestly the last thing I want.

You are inevitably going to feel like that today. It is sucky, but I would suggest you go do something active that you enjoy, with people you like, that really takes your mind off things this weekend and let yourself settle down into a more calm mindset.

In the grand scheme of life you are unlikely to regret having another go and doing them well this time, and it really won't be so bad, you can make it a good year of friendships and study.

Control the controllables - there is no use worrying about what is done. Try and get yourself into a calmer headspace, and then just make a practical unemotional decision next week.

You will be fine. Stay happy, and TSR is here for you :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by ChrisN
You are inevitably going to feel like that today. It is sucky, but I would suggest you go do something active that you enjoy, with people you like, that really takes your mind off things this weekend and let yourself settle down into a more calm mindset.

In the grand scheme of life you are unlikely to regret having another go and doing them well this time, and it really won't be so bad, you can make it a good year of friendships and study.

Control the controllables - there is no use worrying about what is done. Try and get yourself into a calmer headspace, and then just make a practical unemotional decision next week.

You will be fine. Stay happy, and TSR is here for you :smile:

Definitely, my head is all over the place at the moment so instead of making a haste decision I might just take a few days off before I tackle getting my life together, thank you v much though, I appreciate the advice.
Reply 48
Ive always wanted to do medicine but i fell into depression after gcses werent all A's due to an incident that required surgury near exams and resulting in no coursework handed in btw got mainly b's c's.retook from last year (AS) which my grades were d e u in bio, chem and physics. I go to a poor preforming college and did the new syllabus which i took a2 bio as chem and as physics and recieved A*AA. I havent done ukcat yet but will unis espically kings in particular accept my application?
Wait if sociology has reformed and phycology has then surely you would have less exams and not 13!! They just test less of the AS content. Well it's like that for the sciences not too sure for humanities. But they woudnt be crazy enough to make us do that many exams. So you're essentially just retaking two exams - the law ones which have not gone linear yet.

Quick Reply

Latest