The Student Room Group

How to list GCSEs on CV

Hey i was just creating my CV and was wandering how to list them. I'm just about to start Uni this year.

Also is it best to separate the GCSEs from Btecs and OCR nationals or as they are all equivalent can you just list them all as GCSES and the employers will be able to clearly see if they request the certificates? Or would this be seen as misleading

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm not sure myself
Sorry
Best advice I can give is look at the tab above where it says 'careers and jobs'
Pretty sure it gives a layout of how to construct a CV
:smile:
Hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by AppleB
I'm not sure myself
Sorry
Best advice I can give is look at the tab above where it says 'careers and jobs'
Pretty sure it gives a layout of how to construct a CV
:smile:
Hope this helps

Not sure there is really a "best way", depends on what you have and what you want your CV to highlight.
I would definitely indicate what the actual qualification is, they might be equivalent, but they're not the same.

As a general guide I would suggest:

A block for each qualification type
English, Maths, Science first or near the top of the block (if applicable).
Followed by those specifically relevant to what you're applying for.
Followed by everything else.In each case I would put the highest grades first and/or sort accordingly to relevance.

Hope that helps :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm going to list them all just because I need to fill it up somehow :lol:
Original post by alexp98
Hey i was just creating my CV and was wandering how to list them. I'm just about to start Uni this year.

Also is it best to separate the GCSEs from Btecs and OCR nationals or as they are all equivalent can you just list them all as GCSES and the employers will be able to clearly see if they request the certificates? Or would this be seen as misleading

Thanks

Just say X amount of grades A*-C including Maths and English because that's all employers care about
Reply 6
Cheers, is it ok if i say that even when its a gcse equivalent? some people saying it's fine but others saying not. Also should i put up my GCSE maths and english grade?
Original post by alexp98
Cheers, is it ok if i say that even when its a gcse equivalent? some people saying it's fine but others saying not. Also should i put up my GCSE maths and english grade?

Yeah it's fine even if it is a GCSE equivalent, Pass= C, Merit= B and Distinction=A so it should still come under the grades. You can if you want, employers only care about those two anyway, also if you have any ICT qualifications mention them too
Reply 8
Cheers mate
Original post by alexp98

Thanks

You should put something like

20xx-xx School Name, Town
5 GCSEs including English and Maths, 3 BTECs, 2 OCR Nationals

Employers don't care about any more details than that. Don't list or give details of every single subject. Employers don't care about the details and it just immediately flags up an applicant who doesn't have much relevant evidence to put in their application. Even if you don't have much evidence, there are better ways to hide that from an employer!

Original post by surina16
I'm going to list them all just because I need to fill it up somehow :lol:

That won't work, employers see it every day and you'll just go straight in the bin
Reply 10
Just list x number at A*-C, there's no point listing them individually at this level most employers couldn't care less about them.
Reply 11
Original post by threeportdrift
You should put something like

20xx-xx School Name, Town
5 GCSEs including English and Maths, 3 BTECs, 2 OCR Nationals

Employers don't care about any more details than that. Don't list or give details of every single subject. Employers don't care about the details and it just immediately flags up an applicant who doesn't have much relevant evidence to put in their application. Even if you don't have much evidence, there are better ways to hide that from an employer!

That won't work, employers see it every day and you'll just go straight in the bin

Would I not just be able to do what the above poster said to save even more room as ocr nationals and Btecs are equivalent to GCSEs anyway so don't think it's worth writing them for just for two subjects when the rest are gcses? Instead can I not include their equivalent GCSE grades and include them in the 9 GCSEs A*-C
Original post by alexp98
Would I not just be able to do what the above poster said to save even more room as ocr nationals and Btecs are equivalent to GCSEs anyway so don't think it's worth writing them for just for two subjects when the rest are gcses? Instead can I not include their equivalent GCSE grades and include them in the 9 GCSEs A*-C

Yes, you can, but make it clear you have English and Maths (don't bother with which English)
Reply 13
Original post by threeportdrift
Yes, you can, but make it clear you have English and Maths (don't bother with which English)

Thanks :smile: as you can see I lack real world experience because my head has just been buried in books through A levels 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending