The Student Room Group

Should I get my Latin AS remarked?

Hi everyone,

I just got my Latin AS results and I got 86/100 in my Lang and 73/100 in my Lit, giving me and overall percentage of 79.5%. To get an A overall, you need 80% - so should I get it remarked? The thing is, I am definitely not continuing with Latin next year and the universities I want to apply to are not looking at AS grades. So what should I do?

Thanks
Maybe get the paper back first and if your teachers think you were marked harshly then send it off, but if the unis dont care then maybe you shouldnt bother. Personally, I would because I cant stand being so close!!! Well done though!!!

Can I ask how other Latin &/ Classical Greek studens did??? Thanks
I have the exact same issue. I am 3 marks off an A and it's really annoying. My teachers suggested that I get it remarked but I'm worried that the mark won't change - it didn't for my GCSE and that was only 1 mark off! :frown:

Nevertheless, I'd say have it remarked - you've nothing to lose :smile:
Original post by jennym1957
Maybe get the paper back first and if your teachers think you were marked harshly then send it off, but if the unis dont care then maybe you shouldnt bother. Personally, I would because I cant stand being so close!!! Well done though!!!

Thank you! Do you have to pay to get the papers back? Because if so, then I might as well just go straight for the remark. I guess it makes more sense to get the lang remarked, but it's more difficult for marks to change for language than lit IMO. :L
Only 3 girls do Latin in my year, one girl got a C and the other an A. As for classics, I'm not sure because i do not take it. Hope that was helpful aha :smile:
Did you sit a Latin AS exam? If so, I hope it went well :smile:
Original post by grussell777
I have the exact same issue. I am 3 marks off an A and it's really annoying. My teachers suggested that I get it remarked but I'm worried that the mark won't change - it didn't for my GCSE and that was only 1 mark off! :frown:

Nevertheless, I'd say have it remarked - you've nothing to lose :smile:

haha true! Well done with your grade tho! Are you carrying on with Latin next year? Also are you planning on getting both papers remarked?
Your school should tell you if/how much you have to pay for scripts and remarks. At my school it is quite substantial but I think it varies. True that lit is more subjective, but there is also margin for opinion on the language - you only need 1 mark!! Consult with your teachers and see what they think. I am the only students of AS Latin and Greek in my school so I have no one to compare with but I am really happy with my marks 😀
Good luck if you do get a remark and let's just hope that you had a nasty examiner!
Good luck if you go for a remark! If you're happy to pay whatever it costs despite the fact your unis might not look at it, it could be worth it for your own satisfaction if nothing else. I think I'd be tempted to since it's so close.

Original post by jennym1957

There's just two of us in my school doing AS Latin, both of us got As - very happy with our marks too!
Original post by fizzywaterbottle
haha true! Well done with your grade tho! Are you carrying on with Latin next year? Also are you planning on getting both papers remarked?

Thanks! And no, unfortunately Latin is the subject I'm dropping :biggrin:
My teacher suggested only getting the literature paper remarked (I got an A on my language but a B on literature).

Quick Reply

Latest