The Student Room Group

Which A-levels go nicely with Maths/F.Maths??

Hi guys, this is my first post and I am having a major dilemma! I have one week left to pick my A-level options, and I'm stuck on what to take.

So far, I know that I want to take Maths and Further Maths, as that is (probably) what I want to study at uni, but I have two more options left. The subjects I'm considering are: Philosophy & Ethics, Physics and Chemistry.

Which two would you recommend?? I've included some extra info below, thank youuu~

PHILOSOPHY & ETHICS:
I'm super into philosophy as a personal interest, and the course looks really interesting. I love the philosophy teacher, however the ethics teacher is possibly my least favourite teacher ever (long story short, she was super unhelpful when I was struggling with mental health stuff, and being around her makes me incredibly anxious and uncomfortable). Also I am not huge on writing essays, is there much of that in P&E??

PHYSICS:
I'm pretty good at physics, predicted an A* for gcse, plus most of the units I'd be studying look quite interesting. However, I'm not the biggest fan of the teachers, and I don't enjoy experiments at all - how much of physics is experiments? Will this be a major issue?

CHEMISTRY:
Again, I'm predicted an A* for chem gcse and I really enjoyed studying it so far! I love both of the teachers, but still hate experiments... I heard that you do quite a lot of experiments in chemistry, is this true?
Original post by plantbasedemmy
Hi guys, this is my first post and I am having a major dilemma! I have one week left to pick my A-level options, and I'm stuck on what to take.

So far, I know that I want to take Maths and Further Maths, as that is (probably) what I want to study at uni, but I have two more options left. The subjects I'm considering are: Philosophy & Ethics, Physics and Chemistry.

Which two would you recommend?? I've included some extra info below, thank youuu~

PHILOSOPHY & ETHICS:
I'm super into philosophy as a personal interest, and the course looks really interesting. I love the philosophy teacher, however the ethics teacher is possibly my least favourite teacher ever (long story short, she was super unhelpful when I was struggling with mental health stuff, and being around her makes me incredibly anxious and uncomfortable). Also I am not huge on writing essays, is there much of that in P&E??

PHYSICS:
I'm pretty good at physics, predicted an A* for gcse, plus most of the units I'd be studying look quite interesting. However, I'm not the biggest fan of the teachers, and I don't enjoy experiments at all - how much of physics is experiments? Will this be a major issue?

CHEMISTRY:
Again, I'm predicted an A* for chem gcse and I really enjoyed studying it so far! I love both of the teachers, but still hate experiments... I heard that you do quite a lot of experiments in chemistry, is this true?

Pick the ones that are most relevant to your University aspirations :yep: . Have a look at a few course entry requirement pages to get a feel of what Unis like, and then make a more informed decision there :h:
Depends what you want to do after your A-levels, I took Maths, Further maths, Physics and Computing since I was certain I wanted to continue to do maths in University so just took some A-levels that contained some maths and seemed somewhat interesting to me. After AS I dropped physics since I found the course quite boring (I think quite a lot of people share this opinion about AS physics as half of it is to do with circuits). Although I didn't take chemistry I have heard from those who have done it that it is a very difficult subject, but most people who've done it seemed to enjoy the course content. I can't really comment on philosophy and ethics since i've never heard much about the course, however I know that some universities offer mathematics and philosophy so I imagine the two are linked.
Original post by Nirgilis
Pick the ones that are most relevant to your University aspirations :yep: . Have a look at a few course entry requirement pages to get a feel of what Unis like, and then make a more informed decision there :h:

Ahhh thank you!! It seems most unis recommend physics to go with maths, but neither chemisty or p&e are mentioned. Which of those would be best do you think?
Ahhh thank you!! It seems most unis recommend physics to go with maths, but neither chemisty or p&e are mentioned. Which of those would be best do you think?

If it doesn't matter, pick the one you enjoy the most. I would personally pick Chemistry, since I did that at undergrad and thoroughly enjoyed it, but it's your choice :smile:
Reply 5
Would probably go for Physics and/or Chemistry. Computing would be very helpful considering most maths/physics degrees now have compulsory courses in programming.

Original post by Gabe the Babe
Depends what you want to do after your A-levels, I took Maths, Further maths, Physics and Computing since I was certain I wanted to continue to do maths in University so just took some A-levels that contained some maths and seemed somewhat interesting to me. After AS I dropped physics since I found the course quite boring (I think quite a lot of people share this opinion about AS physics as half of it is to do with circuits). Although I didn't take chemistry I have heard from those who have done it that it is a very difficult subject, but most people who've done it seemed to enjoy the course content. I can't really comment on philosophy and ethics since i've never heard much about the course, however I know that some universities offer mathematics and philosophy so I imagine the two are linked.

Thanks for the reply!!
Honestly, the circuits bit is the bit I don't like the look of, although the rest seems pretty cool.. Has not having physics hindered you with applying to study maths, or not so much?Also, do you think having an essay based subject will be an advantage? (ie. make me look more well rounded)
Original post by Nirgilis
If it doesn't matter, pick the one you enjoy the most. I would personally pick Chemistry, since I did that at undergrad and thoroughly enjoyed it, but it's your choice :smile:

Okay, thank you for your help!! Glad you're enjoying your course!!
Original post by Christd
Would probably go for Physics and/or Chemistry. Computing would be very helpful considering most maths/physics degrees now have compulsory courses in programming.

My school won't let me take Computing as I didn't take IT gcse..:frown:
I'm leaning towards physics now, I think? It seems most helpful for maths at uni, which just leaves my fourth option...
Thanks for the reply!!
Honestly, the circuits bit is the bit I don't like the look of, although the rest seems pretty cool.. Has not having physics hindered you with applying to study maths, or not so much?Also, do you think having an essay based subject will be an advantage? (ie. make me look more well rounded)

I've just managed to get into Bristol to do maths, for all of the Unis I looked at none mentioned physics for a maths degree so it hasn't hindered me at all. From my experience most of the universities just wanted maths and would give a better offer if I had further maths aswell. I imagine having the essay based subject depends on what you want to do but it might be a nice change from the sciencey type papers that you'll do in maths/physics.
Original post by Gabe the Babe
I've just managed to get into Bristol to do maths, for all of the Unis I looked at none mentioned physics for a maths degree so it hasn't hindered me at all. From my experience most of the universities just wanted maths and would give a better offer if I had further maths aswell. I imagine having the essay based subject depends on what you want to do but it might be a nice change from the sciencey type papers that you'll do in maths/physics.

Oh okay, that's interesting! Congrats on getting into Bristol btw!
I'm planning on studying maths, so idk how useful an essay based subject would be, but you're right it might balance out all the maths I'll be doing with maths/f.maths/physics
Update:

It's now GCSE results day and I got my 9 A*s, 2 As and a C. I decided on Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Philosophy & Ethics in the end. Just wanted to say thank you for all the advice x

Quick Reply

Latest