The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Congratulations to everyone coming to Brookes!

Congratulations! You lucky things get to come to the best uni :biggrin:

Who's in? What are you going to be studying?

Give me a shout if you've got any questions about coming to Brookes. See you here soon!

Dana

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can't wait to start. I will be studying Primary Teacher Education
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Original post by skiingjj

Congrats!!
:clap2:

One my school mates did Primary Teacher Education at Brookes & loved it. Now she's got her dream job working in her local school and runs the school choir too. Good luck with the course - I'm sure you'll love it!

See you in September

Dana
Reply 3
Original post by skiingjj

I'm doing primary teacher education too!!! What halls are you in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hi idcatgirl

I will be living at home as I am a mature student. What about you?
Reply 5
I'm studying law at Oxford brookes!

I was wondering what the lecture halls look like? Can't seem to find a picture anywhere. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 6
Congrats to the peeps that got in! i did not even via clearing, but there is always next year!

Hope you all do well! ^^ Enjoy studying at brooks!
Reply 7
Current Brookes student here. Second year Comp Sci, third year at the university. Feel free to ask me some questions!

Original post by kayrx

I was wondering what the lecture halls look like? Can't seem to find a picture anywhere. Thanks! :smile:

As I'm a Comp Sci student, I'm taught at an entirely different campus (yay Wheatley!) from Law. You have the lovely Headington Hill! I had a quick look for you, and the best I can come up with for photos is:

Edit - there's also this: http://www.brookes.ac.uk/about-brookes/faculties-and-departments/faculty-of-humanities-and-social-sciences/virtual/

http://www.law.brookes.ac.uk/About/Picture-Gallery/

http://www.law.brookes.ac.uk/about/

I'm unsure what you looked at when researching your course, so you may have seen these pages already. Either way, best of luck at Brookes! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kayrx

Hi there,

Great to hear you are coming to Brookes!

The law school is based in our Headington Hill Hall and we also have our own moot court. You can have a look round on our virtual tour here. You can also look round the main library, cafes and other places on campus - so you'll know what to expect when you arrive :smile:

Dana
Reply 9
When would we find out our timetables for lectures?
Reply 10
Anyone doing international relations and politics ?? I'm also staying in The Mews...
Original post by kayrx

Congratulations for getting a place at Brookes! :biggrin:

Generally in fresher's week. Even for continuing students like me, we don't fully know our timetable before then. You will have an induction lecture in that week which will explain everything for the upcoming year :smile:

Original post by Alopezz
Anyone doing international relations and politics ?? I'm also staying in The Mews...

Firstly, congratulations for getting a place at Brookes :biggrin:

I suggest you have a look on Facebook for a page relating to The Mews. I can help you far more in finding people interested in Politics and IR, however (I am the founder and President of the Liberal Democrats society we will be a force in parliament again some day, I promise! :wink:)

I suggest you have a look at the Politics Society, Labour Club, Conservative Association, Liberal Democrat Society, Green Society, and Left Forum. You can find most of them on Facebook, and I think they all have stands at Freshers Fair (I'm unsure about Left Forum on that point - I can check for you, if you like).

Politics Society and the Conservative Association are known for hosting debates (they hold a debate every fortnight, but in different weeks, so there is a debate each week). Labour Club and the Liberal Democrats tend to get in speakers (Labour managed to get in Larry Sanders, the brother of Bernie Sanders at the end of last term, and the Liberal Democrats managed to get Norman Lamb).

Oh, and definitely join the Oxford Union if you have the financial means to (it's about £248 for your course length, but wholly worth it!). They have weekly debates every Thursday evening ("This House has no confidence in Her Majesty's Government" is the first one of term), as well as guest speakers (Stephen Fry, Sir Ian McKellen, Morgan Freeman, etc), a wonderful library, and a very cheap bar to go to before/after debates and other events. They even give away about 6 places for each event to have dinner with the speakers. I ended up very lucky last year, and had dinner with Nigel Farage, Nick Clegg, Sir William Cash, Jose Barroso, Vince Cable, Sajid Javid, among others (and that was only for two out of the many events they do)! For the first few weeks, they generally welcome non members into events to try it out, too!

Also, it is worth mentioning that the University of Oxford will allow you to go along to their political societies as well. Their Liberal Democrats hold debates every Wednesday ("Spirited Discussions"), and their Conservative Association holds theirs on Sunday evenings ("Port and Policy"). I'm unsure about their Labour Club, though. Port and Policy asks for £10 each time (£5 if you become a member), but that does give you unlimited Port. Spirited Discussions asks for £3 if you are drinking (to cover the cost of the drinks), or £1 for non drinkers. Both events hold interesting debates, and even if you don't go to all of them, I recommend you go to a few.

None of the partisan societies require you to be a member of the party. Everyone is there to discuss politics, and politics becomes boring if you only have people with the same ideas surrounding you. It allows for interesting debate to have people from opposing parties or opposing views, and allows you to explore more complex arguments, and arguments that you may never have thought of.

I hope you enjoy your time at university - you really do get the best selection at Brookes when it comes to Politics/IR. :biggrin:

If you want some links to help you find these societies, I'll put them below:

Oxford Union: Facebook Page | Website

Oxford Brookes
Labour Club: Facebook Page
Liberal Democrats: Facebook Page | Website
Conservative Assocation: Facebook Page
Green Society: Facebook Page

University of Oxford
Labour Club: Facebook Page | Website
Liberal Democrats: Facebook Page | Website
Conservative Association: Facebook Page | Website
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Oxford Brookes University
Congratulations! You lucky things get to come to the best uni :biggrin:

Who's in? What are you going to be studying?

Give me a shout if you've got any questions about coming to Brookes. See you here soon!

Dana

Hey!
in the website it says we will get 2 emails with login detail for the online enrolment, when will we receive these?
Also what are the chances that people who got oxford brookes as their insurance will get campus accomodation?

Original post by Sabah97
Hey!
in the website it says we will get 2 emails with login detail for the online enrolment, when will we receive these?
Also what are the chances that people who got oxford brookes as their insurance will get campus accomodation?

Hi there,

Thanks for your questions.

Did you just get your results yesterday? If so, those two enrolment emails will be sent to you 3 weeks before arrivals weekend, which basically means the end of August.

As for accommodation, I'd definitely recommend you put in an application for a room in student halls. You aren't guaranteed a place because it depends on how many other insurance choices students apply. But it's definitely worth putting in an application.

Any other questions please just give me a shout :smile:

Dana
Original post by kayrx

You find out your timetables once you enroll face-to-face (i.e. getting your student ID card, signing up to PIP. Your timetable will then be on your PIP usually during week 0 which is Freshers' Week).

Enjoy your 1st year!
Reply 15
Hello!
Oxford Brookes was my insurance uni and on the letter in track I have been told that I will be supplied with more information soon. Do you by any chance know when that is? Also, when is freshers week?(my course starts at the 18th of September if that helps)
Reply 16
Reply 17
Hi same question. My son had OBU as his insurance but not heard any more since accepting. What happens re accommodation, etc? Thanks for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone! Anyone doing Sociology?? Or in Warneford Hall??
Hey, i was wandering if anyone could answer me this question.

Oxford Brookes was my firm choice and i wanted to do English literature, however they couldn't accept me on that course with the grades i got so my application was unsuccessful. I called and begged for a place and they gave me a place on the English language course instead.

however now that I've had a look at the English language course module i can clearly see that this is not the course for me. is it possible to change the course i'm doing once i've gotten into the uni and prove that i can keep up with the other English lit students despite my grades

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending