The Student Room Group

Didn't get my firm or insurance, devastated and need help

Okay, I'll make this as short as possible.

This morning I got BCC (German was 2 UMS off a B, getting remarked) and I missed my firm and insurance which were both at Leeds by a long shot. My firm was German and Japanese, AAB needed. Insurance was Asia Pacific Studies and Japanese, ABB needed. So yeah, I'm in clearing now and I've contacted quite a few universities with no luck at all. For anything languages/German/Japanese related it seems my grades are simply not good enough, no matter how I try to sell myself.

The reason I'm so crushed is that my long-distance girlfriend who lives in N.I. also applied for Leeds as both firm (French and Japanese, AAB) and insurance (APS and Japanese, ABB). She got A*BB and got accepted for the firm choice. I'm really happy for her, but also completely gutted because this was a chance to not be long-distance anymore, and I blew it. My best bet after being rejected at Leeds was Sheffield's German and Japanese course, seeing as Leeds and Sheffield are relatively close and it's a good uni which offers the course I want to do. The requirements are BBC, so I applied through clearing and was rather positive about being accepted.Again, rejected. I really need some help or advice. I've been crying all day because this obviously was more than just a university place to me, it was a chance to live happily and be close to my girlfriend after a long time apart. We've seen each other several times during holidays, and I view her as my soulmate. Say what you will but she makes me extremely happy.

One last thing to add; Leeds Japanese courses offer their year abroad in the 2nd year, whilst most other universities offer their year abroad in the 3rd year. Even if by some miracle I am accepted into another uni, she will be in Japan for her 2nd year and I will be in either Germany or Japan for my 3rd year. The fact we possibly have to spend 2 years apart absolutely crushes me. Does anyone have any idea what I can do?

I kinda wrote this out of desperation as I just have no idea what I'm meant to do. My girlfriend is being really supportive despite me basically failing and ruining our dream. Any help is much appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Pray... or failing divine intervention resit without cocking up.
Reply 2
Have you considered York University or York St John? I'm not certain when York University's Study Abroad year is, but York St John is in the second year and York is only a 20 minute train journey from Leeds. Both Universities offer languages. York St John would most likely take the BCC. Give their clearing line a call?
Reply 3
Original post by YorkUK
Have you considered York University or York St John? I'm not certain when York University's Study Abroad year is, but York St John is in the second year and York is only a 20 minute train journey from Leeds. Both Universities offer languages. York St John would most likely take the BCC. Give their clearing line a call?

Hey, I did give York a call and they pretty much said no. However, I haven't yet contacted York St John. Thanks for the advice.
Original post by Jackaji
Hey, I did give York a call and they pretty much said no. However, I haven't yet contacted York St John. Thanks for the advice.

keep us updated
Manchester met has some japanese with courses available, you can get to leeds by public transport from there, its about an hours journey if that i think.
Have you contacted UCLan through Clearing? Someone on here was accepted in Clearing for their Asia Pacific course last year with BCC.
Reply 7
Original post by Decaffeinated
Have you contacted UCLan through Clearing? Someone on here was accepted in Clearing for their Asia Pacific course last year with BCC.

Just contacted UCLAN and yeah they'd let me do Japanese and German, so I have that as an option I guess.
Original post by Jackaji
Just contacted UCLAN and yeah they'd let me do Japanese and German, so I have that as an option I guess.

Take it soon they dont stay open forever
Reply 9
Original post by LPauling
keep us updated

Had a look at the York St John website and the options for languages are quite limited and seem to all include English in some way. I think TESOL and Japanese seems to appeal most to me, but I'm still unsure and might end up regretting it. :/
Original post by Jackaji
Had a look at the York St John website and the options for languages are quite limited and seem to all include English in some way. I think TESOL and Japanese seems to appeal most to me, but I'm still unsure and might end up regretting it. :/

Take your time maybe see if you can speak to your language teacher?
Original post by Jackaji

It's a lot of money to do any course you are unsure about.
Original post by Jackaji

You need to step back and think about this before rushing into accepting any offers. Did UCLAN say how long the offer stands for? Could you be happy there? Would York St John just be something you accept but don't really want?

UCLAN is two hours commute to Leeds by train. 90 minutes driving.
Reply 13
I agree, it's worth having a look at for the close distance but if you think the TESOL might not suit you, don't do a degree you won't like! They have an Open Day on Saturday I think. UCLAN option sounds good though a little further.
Reply 14
Original post by ParadoxSocks
You need to step back and think about this before rushing into accepting any offers. Did UCLAN say how long the offer stands for? Could you be happy there? Would York St John just be something you accept but don't really want?

This is why I'm having so much trouble. This is extremely short notice to be applying to universities which I've never even been to or seen before, to do a course which I have limited information about. :frown:
Original post by ParadoxSocks

Original post by Jackaji
This is why I'm having so much trouble. This is extremely short notice to be applying to universities which I've never even been to or seen before, to do a course which I have limited information about. :frown:

To add to this, UCLan doesnt allow cars on campus when you live in halls during the week, so you'd have to be prepared for the train although they are quite often.
Original post by Jackaji

Can you get to open days? Or virtual open days? You don't have to rush anything. If you need to take a break then you'll make it work because that's how life works out. You have to be a little bit selfish and think of you. Anything else will rattle out later.
Reply 17
Original post by Jackaji

If I were you I would call up the few Uni's you are interested in, get a clearing offer in the bag and then try to get to Open Days to make your decision. They all have Open Days coming up really soon for clearing students. On the phone, once you have the offer tell them you want to come to an Open Day before making a decision. If they have made an offer then they want you there, so don't let them pressure you, unless it's a really really prestigious Uni then they will wait, just be reasonable and friendly and you'll be fine. No University wants you to drop out a few weeks into the course so they should be happy to wait for you to do some research before deciding. You can apply for more than one clearing choice at once.
Honestly you are using your happy ever after fantasy to potentially the detriment of everything else. is there a chance your gf could delay her year abroad?

Honestly my priority would be the course I wanted at the place I was capable of getting into irrespective of gf. I wouldnt rush into accpeting a clearing as its just too much money.
Do Leeds offer any foundation courses that they might let you on and then onto the main degree?

That would get you into Leeds.

Imo being in a different but close by city is not the same thing. Better to be in the same place so you cna do the mundane things like shopping, the pub, cinema etc.
Reply 19
Sorry guys, this is extremely stressful for me atm. To give you an idea:

Option 1: Go to UCLan to do Japanese and German (3rd year in Japan)

Option 2: Go to York St John to do TESOL and Japanese (2nd year in Japan)

Option 3: Self-teach and get private help for a year and resit Physics and German to get AAB or ABB (However I'm not sure if this is an option anymore with the year below having a new format?)

To be honest, none of these choices are that appealing. With 1, there is the issue of the reasonably long commute and possibly spending 2 years apart due to the different year abroad times.

With 2, I'll be in a good situation regarding my girlfriend, 20 mins commute and we both go to Japan at the same time; the issue here is I'm not sure if TESOL is something I want to do, and if i do end up dropping out that's a whole lot of money down the drain.

Finally, with 3, I have to spend yet another year doing dreaded A levels whilst my friends and girlfriend are away at uni and if I do get into leeds at the end of the year, the 2 year apart problem is there again.I pretty much have to accept defeat one way or another, I'm just unsure of which option to choose... :/

Edit: Forgot to mention the fact that I'm extremely rushed to choose an option through clearing as well...
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending