The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Applicants - 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
Hey I do practically the same and I don't think we'll be disadvantaged if your worried about that probably try to learn some physics on the side

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh good luck!! Do you think picking mechanics instead of statistics in maths will do any good?
And where are you thinking of applying?:biggrin:
Original post by OGFakiie
Ahh good luck!! Do you think picking mechanics instead of statistics in maths will do any good?
And where are you thinking of applying?:biggrin:

Yes I think mechanics would be beneficial but idk I did mechanics this year and even though at first I didn't like it it's not so bad when u get use to it. Also I'm thinking of Sheffield,Nottingham and idk where else see what happens wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
Yes I think mechanics would be beneficial but idk I did mechanics this year and even though at first I didn't like it it's not so bad when u get use to it. Also I'm thinking of Sheffield,Nottingham and idk where else see what happens wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that's cool:smile: Was M1 not so bad even without physics then. And same here: Nottingham, Sheffield, Birmingham, Loughborough, maybe imperial. I'm from Nottingham so I've tried to choose the closest ones aha
Ah that's cool:smile: Was M1 not so bad even without physics then. And same here: Nottingham, Sheffield, Birmingham, Loughborough, maybe imperial. I'm from Nottingham so I've tried to choose the closest ones aha

I'm I the Nottingham area as well :biggrin: although like an hour way from the uni and yeah same but I like Sheffield course which is why I chose them not sure wat else though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NeverLucky
Yeah exactly haha especially as I'll be moving out in literally 2 weeks (that's quite scary to say actually). Oh that's not too bad then - there's like 200 people in our year so something like that just wouldn't work hahaha.

That doesn't sound too good; I guess I was lucky to have teachers that seemed to actually know what they were talking about but I know that's not the case in some schools. I ended up not doing pretty much any homework last year and I just ended up skiving the majority of my lessons cos I just couldn't be bothered (I'm a great role model I know). I definitely need this next year to increase my work ethic and just general motivation for things. I get demotivated really easily it seems.

I mean I think it's hard to show your love of a subject in general cos quite frankly, you have no idea how much you'd actually like to be at uni doing a degree in that subject for 3/4 years. It just seems that whenever someone says they really would like to do a subject at uni, it just feels so forced and fake to me as though you have to say it in order to do the subject at uni. Yeah, Imperial College does something like that as well and I would imagine a fair few unis would have a similar support system. It does sound really nice but in practice, it might not work that well - you either get people you want to be friends or you get people that you'd feel like they're only doing it cos they have to. God, I sound so negative hahaha.

I've always said to treat an uni interview to be a supervision/tutorial. Especially if you end up going to Cambridge, you'll be in that situation multiple times a week even. Communication is vital at both the interviews and when you actually start university and treating the interviews as such can be immensely helpful. Go into the interviews wanting and expecting to learn something new rather than showing the interviewers what you already know.

Tbh, I can't even remember my AS results day let alone my GCSE's ones hahaha. It just seemed too much of a blur tho I feel like I didn't do anything but go home and sleep. Hmm, that's an area I'm not too familiar with tbh, my parents are very supporting of me going to uni so they'll support me fully through it and even going so far as to fully pay off my debt after I graduate. You do get more money if you go to live in London and places like Imperial have a significant bursary depending on how much your parents earn. I feel like it's entirely possible to start uni with no savings and still survive well enough if you are smart about your money (which unfortunately I'm not haha).

Gosh, I hope you're ready to move out haha, that seems so scary. Although, that being said I can't wait to move out.

Whoa haha, I think I only skived one lesson and that's because I read my timetable wrong I and thought I had a free period. :biggrin: Idk I mean I go to a grammar school and you'd think that you'd have pretty decent teachers haha. My friends and I were talking about this earlier, but we felt the only reason we were doing well was because of our fear of failing :frown:

Yeah, that's true. Besides, I've never actually *studied* ChemEng; only done some further reading so it is kind of hard. Same I feel like anyone who says that they are really passionate about a subject are faking it to some extent, at least Idk I need to find a way to convey my love for chemistry and maths through things I say rather than "I love chemistry and maths and I am so enthusiastic about studying chemical engineering". And haha that's true; I hope if where I apply has that system, the people I get actually want to do what they're doing.

I'm feeling a lot calmer about results day now, after having checked grade boundaries. In chem I need 103/160 for an A, which I thought was pretty low! Bio is a lot lower, 88/150 for an A, I'm shocked but kind of relieved; hopefully I've done enough to secure As in those.

Haha I am definitely not smart with money either, I feel like I spend wayyy too much. I feel like my parents are *kind of* supportive but they'd be more supportive if I still wanted to do medicine hahaha. Hopefully I qualify for a grant as well because neither of my parents went to uni :/ I'm shocked that I'm the first of (my immediate) family to go.
Original post by WhatIsSleep
Gosh, I hope you're ready to move out haha, that seems so scary. Although, that being said I can't wait to move out.

Whoa haha, I think I only skived one lesson and that's because I read my timetable wrong I and thought I had a free period. :biggrin: Idk I mean I go to a grammar school and you'd think that you'd have pretty decent teachers haha. My friends and I were talking about this earlier, but we felt the only reason we were doing well was because of our fear of failing :frown:

Yeah, that's true. Besides, I've never actually *studied* ChemEng; only done some further reading so it is kind of hard. Same I feel like anyone who says that they are really passionate about a subject are faking it to some extent, at least Idk I need to find a way to convey my love for chemistry and maths through things I say rather than "I love chemistry and maths and I am so enthusiastic about studying chemical engineering". And haha that's true; I hope if where I apply has that system, the people I get actually want to do what they're doing.

I'm feeling a lot calmer about results day now, after having checked grade boundaries. In chem I need 103/160 for an A, which I thought was pretty low! Bio is a lot lower, 88/150 for an A, I'm shocked but kind of relieved; hopefully I've done enough to secure As in those.

Haha I am definitely not smart with money either, I feel like I spend wayyy too much. I feel like my parents are *kind of* supportive but they'd be more supportive if I still wanted to do medicine hahaha. Hopefully I qualify for a grant as well because neither of my parents went to uni :/ I'm shocked that I'm the first of (my immediate) family to go.

No I'm really not hahaha, I have no idea what I'm meant to do or supposed to bring :redface: at least I'll have my car and so I'll just stuff the car with useless junk and hope some of it will come in useful hahaha.

Yeah I went to a grammar school as well but you do still get good and bad teachers. I think with AS, a lot of people didn't do as well cos they don't consider what uni choices they wanted to go to until after they've done their exams. I feel like having the goal of getting into Oxbridge before doing your AS exams can help immensely in your AS exams.

Conveying your passion with a subject without sounding cringey or cliche is one of the hardest things to do imo especially in the personal statement. It's a bit easier in an interview I suppose to convey your interest just from your tone of voice. I just wished there were more unis that had a collegiate system other than Oxbridge and Durham and some other ones hahaha.

Yeah same haha, honestly I'm kinda just bored for the next 24 hours. I might just go out for a drink later today and just party for the next few hours hahaha. The grade boundaries aren't too bad tho some maths modules were like 71/75 for an A* in FP3 haha. Tho, tbf I kinda expected it to be that high. I think I just scrapped an A* in FM so I'm hoping for 3A*s if not 4 :redface: yeah they usually are low for a new spec, hope you get all A's tomorrow!

I guarantee you don't spend nowhere near as much as me hahaha. I've never really understood the appeal of medicine tbh - sounds like a lot of work and I feel like quite a fair few of medical applicants don't really care about helping people but care more about the money. It surprises me when I hear people say they're the first in their family to go to uni - I guess I'm just used to both my parents having gone to uni.
How'd everyone do? Got my 4 A grades, which I'm hoping will let me apply to anywhere that I want!
Original post by richpanda
How'd everyone do? Got my 4 A grades, which I'm hoping will let me apply to anywhere that I want!

Very well done!! Got my A2 grades, not too bad - got 3A*s in Maths, FM and Chemistry but I was 1 UMS off an A* in Physics so I'm getting all the A2 exams remarked. Laughing cos I got a C in the EPQ 😂 hopefully it won't disadvantage me too much hahaha!
No I'm really not hahaha, I have no idea what I'm meant to do or supposed to bring :redface: at least I'll have my car and so I'll just stuff the car with useless junk and hope some of it will come in useful hahaha.

Yeah I went to a grammar school as well but you do still get good and bad teachers. I think with AS, a lot of people didn't do as well cos they don't consider what uni choices they wanted to go to until after they've done their exams. I feel like having the goal of getting into Oxbridge before doing your AS exams can help immensely in your AS exams.

Conveying your passion with a subject without sounding cringey or cliche is one of the hardest things to do imo especially in the personal statement. It's a bit easier in an interview I suppose to convey your interest just from your tone of voice. I just wished there were more unis that had a collegiate system other than Oxbridge and Durham and some other ones hahaha.

Yeah same haha, honestly I'm kinda just bored for the next 24 hours. I might just go out for a drink later today and just party for the next few hours hahaha. The grade boundaries aren't too bad tho some maths modules were like 71/75 for an A* in FP3 haha. Tho, tbf I kinda expected it to be that high. I think I just scrapped an A* in FM so I'm hoping for 3A*s if not 4 :redface: yeah they usually are low for a new spec, hope you get all A's tomorrow!

I guarantee you don't spend nowhere near as much as me hahaha. I've never really understood the appeal of medicine tbh - sounds like a lot of work and I feel like quite a fair few of medical applicants don't really care about helping people but care more about the money. It surprises me when I hear people say they're the first in their family to go to uni - I guess I'm just used to both my parents having gone to uni.

Ah tsr keeps going down bc so many people are on

Haha since it's results day I guess I should start with my results. I got 3As and a B in chemistry ): It kinda sucks, I was SO close to an A but I don't think I'm going to get it remarked since my predicted grade would remain at an A. Though I got 96% ums in maths and 87% in further maths :smile: (I got a C in D1 lmaoo). I don't know whether I should drop biology (and if that will make me a less competitive candidate) and ask my school if I can keep maths, f.maths and chem. Hopefully I can still apply to Cambridge with that pesky B.

Ahh good luck moving out. I'm scared about moving out next year because I can't cook haha. My parents really want me to stay in Birmingham but I feel like I'd be too dependent on them.

Ah I hope you got what you wanted though, honestly I'm so glad now all the stress is over. No more waiting around and I'm going on holiday in a few days so I'm looking forward to that.

Haha well medicine only really used to appeal to me because I thought it involved a lot of science and it was something different from your average STEM degree.Once I did work experience, I hated it because of how much contact you have with people and the hours tht doctors have to work. I'm pretty reserved irl so talking to people all day every day? nope haha
Original post by richpanda

AAAB, I got the B in chemistry which sucks but it's what I expected.
Congratulations on your results!
Very well done!! Got my A2 grades, not too bad - got 3A*s in Maths, FM and Chemistry but I was 1 UMS off an A* in Physics so I'm getting all the A2 exams remarked. Laughing cos I got a C in the EPQ 😂 hopefully it won't disadvantage me too much hahaha!

Congratulations, haha hopefully I'm in a similar position as you next year :P
A IN MATHS B in chem C in bio(shocked but oh well) and C I Spanish (well expected)
My application depends on what my teachers are willing to predict hopefully in spite of the c and b I can still get aaa

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good on you and **** EPQ:u:

I managed to get an A* in maths! Getting shitfaced tonight:colone:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WhatIsSleep
Ah tsr keeps going down bc so many people are on

Haha since it's results day I guess I should start with my results. I got 3As and a B in chemistry ): It kinda sucks, I was SO close to an A but I don't think I'm going to get it remarked since my predicted grade would remain at an A. Though I got 96% ums in maths and 87% in further maths :smile: (I got a C in D1 lmaoo). I don't know whether I should drop biology (and if that will make me a less competitive candidate) and ask my school if I can keep maths, f.maths and chem. Hopefully I can still apply to Cambridge with that pesky B.

Ahh good luck moving out. I'm scared about moving out next year because I can't cook haha. My parents really want me to stay in Birmingham but I feel like I'd be too dependent on them.

Ah I hope you got what you wanted though, honestly I'm so glad now all the stress is over. No more waiting around and I'm going on holiday in a few days so I'm looking forward to that.

Haha well medicine only really used to appeal to me because I thought it involved a lot of science and it was something different from your average STEM degree.Once I did work experience, I hated it because of how much contact you have with people and the hours tht doctors have to work. I'm pretty reserved irl so talking to people all day every day? nope haha

Congrats on your results!! A B in Chemistry is still a great result considering it's considered to be one of the hardest A-Levels! You'll have a decent chance of at least being invited to interview if you decide to apply to Cambridge I believe. I thought I did horribly in D1 (like legit 60-70/100 UMS) and somehow I managed to get full UMS in it... I literally stared at it for a few seconds cos I couldn't actually believe I got that in one of the most pointless modules in existence imo. It's perfectly fine to drop Biology if that is what you wish. You won't be disadvantaged as long as you can meet the entry requirements in the 3 subjects. Maybe also consider dropping Biology and doing AS Physics in a year?

Yeah, I mean all you need is some unbranded pot noodles and you're sorted for a year hahaha. Or just get your future uni mates to cook for you :biggrin:

Thank you, I'm very relieved with my results and I don't plan on resitting any exams I don't think. Enjoy your holiday - you deserve it and try not to overthink about your results too much. Just apply with the grades you have and you've always got a chance at the top unis.

I'd say Medicine is always a worthwhile career to consider but it's not always right for some people. I think it's a good sign that you've decided it's not right for you and that you have your mind set on Chemical Engineering now.
Original post by FusionNetworks
Good on you and **** EPQ:u:

I managed to get an A* in maths! Getting shitfaced tonight:colone:

Yep hahaha, although a C just looks strange next to all my other subjects but whatever, it's not too important.

Congrats!! I don't feel like celebrating tonight tbh so I'm going to have a quiet night haha but I'll be spending the whole weekend drinking at a music festival.
Hey, a bit late to this discussion but I'm looking to apply for chem eng in 2017.

Results day, I got an A* in A2 maths and then As in chemistry and physics AS. I was so pleased with these results - really surprised about my physics.

Uni wise, I'm torn as to whether to apply for Cambridge or not. Also torn whether I should apply to imperial, will it be really intense? I don't know if I want to live in London either.

Otherwise, I'm looking to apply for Bath, Birmingham, Sheffield and Loughbrough.

Good luck everyone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by munchkin1212
Hey, a bit late to this discussion but I'm looking to apply for chem eng in 2017.

Results day, I got an A* in A2 maths and then As in chemistry and physics AS. I was so pleased with these results - really surprised about my physics.

Uni wise, I'm torn as to whether to apply for Cambridge or not. Also torn whether I should apply to imperial, will it be really intense? I don't know if I want to live in London either.

Otherwise, I'm looking to apply for Bath, Birmingham, Sheffield and Loughbrough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even if it's really intensive I think you can handle it with those grades go for it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Head ups M1 is required if you dont do Physics for Birmingham so its definetly helpful.
Original post by munchkin1212

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have any reservations on why you wouldn't want to apply to Cambridge? If not, then you should definitely apply to Cambridge and you'll have a good chance of getting an interview with your grades.

There's definitely an argument that can be made that ChemEng at Imperial is the best ChemEng degree in the U.K. As with all top unis and degrees, the workload will be quite high but you'll be expected to work hard no matter where you go. It mostly depends whether you want to go that extra distance to go study at the likes of Cambridge or Imperial.

Personally, I prefer Cambridge over Imperial for ChemEng mainly due to Cambridge's collegiate system and their flexibility in their first year.
Do you have any reservations on why you wouldn't want to apply to Cambridge? If not, then you should definitely apply to Cambridge and you'll have a good chance of getting an interview with your grades.

There's definitely an argument that can be made that ChemEng at Imperial is the best ChemEng degree in the U.K. As with all top unis and degrees, the workload will be quite high but you'll be expected to work hard no matter where you go. It mostly depends whether you want to go that extra distance to go study at the likes of Cambridge or Imperial.

Personally, I prefer Cambridge over Imperial for ChemEng mainly due to Cambridge's collegiate system and their flexibility in their first year.

I am finding Cambridge quite intimidating and I don't know if I would enjoy it. My other concern is that I am currently doing maths, further maths, chemistry and physics. I want to drop physics but if I was to apply to Cambridge (via NatSci) I would be disadvantaged without it, I don't know if they would consider me as favourably.

Quick Reply