The Student Room Group

The Current Year 13 Thread 2016-2017

Scroll to see replies

I'm quite worried at the moment. My school uses a system where us Year 12s were given our overall A Level expected grades from the start. The only problem is mine were all Cs. If I ended up with 3 Bs, what do you think would happen? Would my expected grades stay the same or increase?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Changed the thread title! OP still yet to sort out :smile:

How did everyone do today?!
Hello fellow yr13s :grouphugs:

yr13! :eek:

:afraid:
Original post by Babs Posh
I went to both the Loughborough and Birmingham open days with my heart set on Birmingham, but afterwards came out of it thinking the entire opposite.

I'm not sure about what unis I want to go to, so many options :s-smilie: I want to study Politics, so atm I'm thinking LSE (doubtful but w/e), Warwick, Durham, Bristol, Bath, Loughborough, Nottingham. Idk basically...

Omg personal statement is the bane of my life, I swear I'm finding it more stressful than AS exams and they were awful... :redface:

why didn't you like Birmingham
Original post by matt.thorne10
So I've visited Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, UCL (one building so not properly), KCL.
First draft of personal statement is done, though it still needs a lot of work!
Currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics, History.
Hope to study Economics at the best place I can get into haha (hopefully Cambridge)

What's everyone else thinking about? :smile:

woah! you're aiming high. how did ur AS go?
Original post by te.lope
woah! you're aiming high. how did ur AS go?

Surprisingly well thanks. Managed 300/300 UMS in Maths and 384/400 in Further Maths, getting a tasty 97.7 UMS average. :smile:Did you take any exams this year, if so how did it go?
Reply 46
I got AAAB!!!

(even some of my teachers are in shock)
Surprisingly well thanks. Managed 300/300 UMS in Maths and 384/400 in Further Maths, getting a tasty 97.7 UMS average. :smile:Did you take any exams this year, if so how did it go?

What?! I don't believe you, that's too good!
That's sorcery , how did you manage that?!
I took a maths AS and got a C , not really sure about all the UMS stuff tho

Congratz that's amazing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by te.lope
What?! I don't believe you, that's too good!
That's sorcery , how did you manage that?!
I took a maths AS and got a C , not really sure about all the UMS stuff tho

I wish it was sorcery, but more likely was a result of a lack of a social life and fear of Cambridge rejection. So happy though, I thought I completely messed up M2 :biggrin:
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
Congratz that's amazing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I promise I'm not trying to brag though, I was just asked :smile:
I might not be a Year 13 student just yet......until next week anyway.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, I promise I'm not trying to brag though, I was just asked :smile:

Nah I don't think your bragging you should be proud and my maths ums was m1-88 c1-83 and c2-86 still an A so I'm so happy

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wish it was sorcery, but more likely was a result of a lack of a social life and fear of Cambridge rejection. So happy though, I thought I completely messed up M2 :biggrin:

Congrats that's amazing! I worked hard for that C *cries* but I guess maths is not for me. How did you revise and how often , are we talking 24/7?
Ahh I don't even know what I want to do at uni. So many things I want to do... Natural Sciences... Chemical Physics... Astrophysics... Nuclear Engineering... ahhhhhh
Original post by te.lope
Congrats that's amazing! I worked hard for that C *cries* but I guess maths is not for me. How did you revise and how often , are we talking 24/7?

Well at like a month to go I just revised the syllabus but not much alongside homework. Then at like 2 weeks before I'd just do all the past papers (1 a day - 2 on sunday) for the nearest exam only, then just switch to the next nearest. If there were many close together then this was harder and required focusing on 2 or more papers at once. I'd say like 2 hours a day on schooldays and 3 at weekends? This probably wasn't the most efficient way of doing things but it seems to work for me and that's what matters 😀
Well at like a month to go I just revised the syllabus but not much alongside homework. Then at like 2 weeks before I'd just do all the past papers (1 a day - 2 on sunday) for the nearest exam only, then just switch to the next nearest. If there were many close together then this was harder and required focusing on 2 or more papers at once. I'd say like 2 hours a day on schooldays and 3 at weekends? This probably wasn't the most efficient way of doing things but it seems to work for me and that's what matters 😀

That's extraordinary. I had about 10 weeks and did like 4 topics a week and did every question in the book again (except for statistics where I only did the mixed exercises) and then a week before id do as many past papers as I can and obviously write down all the formulas I needed to know. But I guess I couldn't prepare myself enough for the questions because they really threw me, but congrats again. Wish you all the best, I'm sure you'll get into Cambridge:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
I just got my AS results I want to enjoy them not think about yr13 😁 Congratulations on your AS results by the way!

Original post by jamestg
I'll sort out a nice OP when I go on my laptop.

Thought it would be a good idea to do it now seeing as we've started A2 and will be doing various Y13 stuff over the summer!

I'll change the thread to "The Current Year 13..." after results day :biggrin:

In the meantime - good luck with results day!
Original post by te.lope
That's extraordinary. I had about 10 weeks and did like 4 topics a week and did every question in the book again (except for statistics where I only did the mixed exercises) and then a week before id do as many past papers as I can and obviously write down all the formulas I needed to know. But I guess I couldn't prepare myself enough for the questions because they really threw me, but congrats again. Wish you all the best, I'm sure you'll get into Cambridge:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Also, for maths revision, Solomon papers are where it's at! They're like normal papers but harder, so when you get your grade target on them the real exam seems that little bit easier :biggrin:
Last year of mandated government education yeaaaaaaah!!!

(oh god they're going to expect us to act like adults from next year)

Thank you!! I got A* (EPQ) AAA and I'm still not quite sure it's all real! Now it's time to buckle down and work my butt off for those university applications.....

Quick Reply

Latest