The Student Room Group

Weird AS results... will it affect UCAS/Cambridge?

(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by sazriah
I just got my AS Results- I got AAAE. The 3 A's were in English Literature, Politics and Sociology whilst the E was in Maths.
I expected the E grade, I did give up during the year but I am really happy with the 3 A's. I want to do HSPS (Human, Social and Political Sciences) at Cambridge.. Do you think the E grade will badly affect applying to universities- I know uni's only ask for 3 grades but the E grade will still be entered. I feel like it may put universities off. Is anyone in similar position? Or do you feel your bad AS Grade has affected your chances of getting into top uni? Thanks :smile:

What was your UMS for the A's?
Reply 2
Original post by sazriah
I just got my AS Results- I got AAAE. The 3 A's were in English Literature, Politics and Sociology whilst the E was in Maths.
I expected the E grade, I did give up during the year but I am really happy with the 3 A's. I want to do HSPS (Human, Social and Political Sciences) at Cambridge.. Do you think the E grade will badly affect applying to universities- I know uni's only ask for 3 grades but the E grade will still be entered. I feel like it may put universities off. Is anyone in similar position? Or do you feel your bad AS Grade has affected your chances of getting into top uni? Thanks :smile:

It's still worth applying to Cambridge.

You will also have Cambridge's HSPS Admissions Assessment pre-interview test and the submitted essays to help reinforce your application.

They look holistically at every application, and a "poor" performance in one element won't necessarily rule you out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Slowbro93
What was your UMS for the A's?
I only have my UMS score for Government and Politics which was 181. I don't have the raw marks for my other two A's as they are the reformed subjects
Original post by sazriah
I only have my UMS score for Government and Politics which was 181. I don't have the raw marks for my other two A's as they are the reformed subjects

jneill has given some good advice :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
It's still worth applying Cambridge.

You will also have Cambridge's HSPS Admissions Assessment pre-interview test and the submitted essays to help reinforce your application.

They look holistically at every application, and a "poor" performance in one element won't necessarily rule you out.

Okay I hope they will! Thanks very much for the help :smile:
Reply 6

:five:

And props to @Kvothe the arcane for pointing me to the thread :smile:
Reply 7

agreed:smile: , thanks too

Quick Reply

Latest