The Student Room Group

Disappointing AS results?

Hi, got my AS results today and I'm really not happy, only just managed to scrape into year 13 with CDEEU, I'm so disappointed with myself and don't want to be going into year 13 with grades like that. Hows everyone else feeling?

Scroll to see replies

I tried to speak to my teachers about it today and they weren't very supportive, ended up getting a lecture about how I need to do more work and grow up when I stayed behind most nights until 6 revising then going home doing extra work and when I asked to resit I got 'whats the point you'll only mess up again'. Anyway 2 of my subjects are linear so even though I didn't do too well it's a fresh start and can do miles better next year and I'm resitting Spanish
Reply 2
I think you give excellent advice, can you consider changing to The Adviceier.
im in a similar position and i cant stand resiting a year :frown: thinking of taking a gap year and applying with a levels
Original post by secretagent98
I tried to speak to my teachers about it today and they weren't very supportive, ended up getting a lecture about how I need to do more work and grow up when I stayed behind most nights until 6 revising then going home doing extra work and when I asked to resit I got 'whats the point you'll only mess up again'. Anyway 2 of my subjects are linear so even though I didn't do too well it's a fresh start and can do miles better next year and I'm resitting Spanish

This is why I went straight in and straight out (to avoid that)
Hi, got my AS results today and I'm really not happy, only just managed to scrape into year 13 with CDEEU, I'm so disappointed with myself and don't want to be going into year 13 with grades like that. Hows everyone else feeling?

Were you advised to take 5 AS levels? We don't let anyone do 5 even if they get all A*s at GCSE ...

I got the same results apart from the C and am considering either resitting or retaking the whole year!
Original post by Muttley79
Were you advised to take 5 AS levels? We don't let anyone do 5 even if they get all A*s at GCSE ...

Personally I wouldn't have done 5, but our sixth form has made General Studies compulsory for all year 12!
I did terribly also. I'm so disappointed..

I got BDDD
B in maths
D in F.Math chem and Bio.
Original post by _4everfaithful__
This is why I went straight in and straight out (to avoid that)

We had to stay in to either unenroll or enrol into year 13 :frown:
Original post by FailedMyMocks
I did terribly also. I'm so disappointed..

I got BDDD
B in maths
D in F.Math chem and Bio.

I got my U in maths, even my mocks were better than what I pulled out of the real exams
Personally I wouldn't have done 5, but our sixth form has made General Studies compulsory for all year 12!

Most unis don;t even accept General Studies so that seems very strange - I think your school overloaded you.

Can you cut down to three subjects in Year 13 and then take a gap year?
Original post by Muttley79
Most unis don;t even accept General Studies so that seems very strange - I think your school overloaded you.

Can you cut down to three subjects in Year 13 and then take a gap year?

We've tried telling them! Most of us fail General studies as well so surely they should get the hint and stop entering us? I'm dropping to 3 but retaking all my Spanish AS again so both speaking and written exam to bring my D up to a B/A
We've tried telling them! Most of us fail General studies as well so surely they should get the hint and stop entering us? I'm dropping to 3 but retaking all my Spanish AS again so both speaking and written exam to bring my D up to a B/A

I feel you :cry:I had to take 5 AS as well with General Studies being one of them :colonhash:

They need to look at what other schools are doing and see they are setting you up to underperform.
Original post by Namita Gurung
I feel you :cry:I had to take 5 AS as well with General Studies being one of them :colonhash:

I wouldn't mind but all of my subjects apart from maths were I was over 100 ums away from even achieving a grade:colondollar: I have been 5 marks away from the next grade, if I had the next grade up for everything it would be BCDDU and id probably be more pleased
Reply 16
I got BBCE which is so disappointing especially when everyone you know gets all As😥😥😥
I wouldn't mind but all of my subjects apart from maths were I was over 100 ums away from even achieving a grade:colondollar: I have been 5 marks away from the next grade, if I had the next grade up for everything it would be BCDDU and id probably be more pleased

Well at least we can restart next year due to the linear program. :woo:
I just need to beg my teachers for decent predicted grades
i got ACC and was still disappointing even though i have people telling me an A is so good at AS and Cs are great too... I was expecting more :/
It's mostly a matter of whether you like these subjects. Do you find them relatively mundane or do you have a strong ambition for them? Personally i don't really like economics and ended up with a U,simply because i lacked interest in it and so barely put any work into it. From my viewpoint, if you do not like the subjects you do, you probably wouldn't get that A,B or even a C that you wanted. If it is merely the lack of a strong work ethic, my advice would be to retake the year, concentrate more and work harder.

Personally i take a particularly long time to grasp concepts (no matter how simple or abstruse), and so in my opinion you don't have to set a time frame when you work, it's more about understanding the subject, if that means you take an hour, two or maybe 8, as long as you understand what you are doing that is all that matters.

That is briefly how i work. Some people may feel guilty that one subject is prioritized over the other when using such a study method, if that is the case then setting a time frame might be necessary. But mostly it's about setting up what works for you, what grades do you want and what is the best way for you to get them?

Quick Reply

Latest