The Student Room Group

Is A level Law hard?

I'm thinking of taking As Law and A2 law in one year?
anyone who is doing law or has done it, is it hard?
Currently studying it, moving onto A2 in September - obtained a grade B (potentially an A after remarks due to a definite error in marking from what I can tell).

I would definitely recommend it if the subject interests you. What exam board does your school do for law?

I wouldn't say the the course is hard but it definitely requires work. You will be expected to remember concepts, acts and cases as well as an explanation as to what happened in each case. You cannot achieve a good grade (B or above) without putting in cases or an explanation. They marked unit 1 really harsh this year and our entire law class are having their unit 1 remarked and are probably going to resit it. If they continue to mark harshly you will be expected to put in a lot more detail into your answers - if you're not prepared to sit there once a week drilling cases into your head and explanations then don't do the subject.

If you have any more questions about the course content or the exams just drop me a PM :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Muttski
Currently studying it, moving onto A2 in September - obtained a grade B (potentially an A after remarks due to a definite error in marking from what I can tell).

I would definitely recommend it if the subject interests you. What exam board does your school do for law?

I wouldn't say the the course is hard but it definitely requires work. You will be expected to remember concepts, acts and cases as well as an explanation as to what happened in each case. You cannot achieve a good grade (B or above) without putting in cases or an explanation. They marked unit 1 really harsh this year and our entire law class are having their unit 1 remarked and are probably going to resit it. If they continue to mark harshly you will be expected to put in a lot more detail into your answers - if you're not prepared to sit there once a week drilling cases into your head and explanations then don't do the subject.

If you have any more questions about the course content or the exams just drop me a PM :smile:

i think the exam board is AQA, i've done sociology and psychology so im used to essays and remembering studies. are the cases long and hard to remember?
Original post by a012
i think the exam board is AQA, i've done sociology and psychology so im used to essays and remembering studies. are the cases long and hard to remember?

Once you remember the name of the case it'll stick with you. Same with the explanations.

All you really need to put in your exam when discussing the case would be: "in this case the defendant [what he did, briefly or detailed].

Exam is 90 minutes by the way, 10 minutes per question on unit 1 :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by Muttski
Once you remember the name of the case it'll stick with you. Same with the explanations.

All you really need to put in your exam when discussing the case would be: "in this case the defendant [what he did, briefly or detailed].

Exam is 90 minutes by the way, 10 minutes per question on unit 1 :wink:

okay i will look more into it, as i want to complete it in one year, don't know if its going to be a lot of work alongside my other a2 subjects
It's do-able; you'll be remembering a lot of cases (like examples of when someone claimed insanity) so you need a good memory.
Original post by a012
okay i will look more into it, as i want to complete it in one year, don't know if its going to be a lot of work alongside my other a2 subjects

It took me the entire year to remember the details of every case and to master exam technique for law. It's doable but unlikely, do what you think is best for you.
Reply 7
Original post by HotshotJacko
It's do-able; you'll be remembering a lot of cases (like examples of when someone claimed insanity) so you need a good memory.

Yeah i'm aware of that, i was thinking of doing Rs but i may not be able to so i was thinking of doing law.
Reply 8
Original post by Muttski
It took me the entire year to remember the details of every case and to master exam technique for law. It's doable but unlikely, do what you think is best for you.

okay thanks
Reply 9
Achieved two pretty high A's in both A2 law papers today and i don't recommend doing both years in one. The content for A2 is ridiculous.

Original post by a012
I'm thinking of taking As Law and A2 law in one year?
anyone who is doing law or has done it, is it hard?
Reply 10
Original post by GFEFC1
Achieved two pretty high A's in both A2 law papers today and i don't recommend doing both years in one. The content for A2 is ridiculous.

how much content is there for A2?
Reply 11
I honestly can't put it into words.There are over 200 cases; you need to know the name, the date, the details, the outcome and the principal. You also need to learn the content for each crime, law commission proposals/changes in the law, positives and criticisms of the law... its never-ending mate.

Original post by a012
how much content is there for A2?
Reply 12
So I got my Law AS result today.
All it says on my paper is E, 91 and 75 UMS points
For English Legal System I got 72 I don't know if thats raw or UMS which is a C
For Sources of Law I got 19 which is a U

In the beginning of the year I was so happy with my mocks, I got an A in my mock and all my essays were good but the content was getting harder and harder I was losing focus and I did revise, I could have revised more, yes, but I still can't believe I got a U in one of my papers
Doing Law in AS and A2 is hard, there were about 5 people in my class who did that
I is hard but if you are really passionate, go for it, but for me, halfway through the year I KNEW I would drop it, and I hope universities dont pay attention to this horrible grade
Reply 13
Original post by ha108
So I got my Law AS result today.
All it says on my paper is E, 91 and 75 UMS points
For English Legal System I got 72 I don't know if thats raw or UMS which is a C
For Sources of Law I got 19 which is a U

In the beginning of the year I was so happy with my mocks, I got an A in my mock and all my essays were good but the content was getting harder and harder I was losing focus and I did revise, I could have revised more, yes, but I still can't believe I got a U in one of my papers
Doing Law in AS and A2 is hard, there were about 5 people in my class who did that
I is hard but if you are really passionate, go for it, but for me, halfway through the year I KNEW I would drop it, and I hope universities dont pay attention to this horrible grade

i don't want to fail another AS subject and especially A2. Law seems to have a lot of content in it. How were your other As results?
Reply 14
Does anyone do AS Rs or A level RS? Is it a subject which is confusing or its hard to get your head around?
and would you recommend doing both As and A2 in one year?
Reply 15
Original post by a012
i don't want to fail another AS subject and especially A2. Law seems to have a lot of content in it. How were your other As results?

Law OCR has so much content its actually unreal

1 mark off an A in psychology I want a remark
A in sociology
2 marks off a B in English I want a remark
My personal statement is based on psychology at the moment, but I am still deciding between Sociology, Anthropology and Psychology
I just really hope unis wont pay too much attention to my E grade and I hope I can get AAB in my remarks
How were your results?
Reply 16
Original post by ha108
Law OCR has so much content its actually unreal

1 mark off an A in psychology I want a remark
A in sociology
2 marks off a B in English I want a remark
My personal statement is based on psychology at the moment, but I am still deciding between Sociology, Anthropology and Psychology
I just really hope unis wont pay too much attention to my E grade and I hope I can get AAB in my remarks
How were your results?

I think Law is AQA for my college not sure though.
my results were okay apart from failing 2. I got 2Bs 1E 1U.
this is why i'm thinking of doing one subject in one year because i'm going to continue the subjects i got Bs in.
Reply 17
AS law was easy for me, only unit 4 of A2 was a tad difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest