The Student Room Group

Is a C in AS Maths not good enough for medicine?

(First post, please be nice :smile:)
Hi guys,
I got my AS results today and they were as follows:
A in eng lit
B in bio
B in chem
C in maths
I was sure I wanted to drop lit at the end of this year and I still am going to because I still want to apply for medicine but as maths was an old spec exam, a C will affect my overall grade in maths at the end of Year 13.
I'm going to sit my UKCAT mid-September, but I'm just wondering how much my maths grade will hold me back.
I'd say drop English Lit, because it is the highest grade
And for maths, you can easily re take if you think that it will help for your overall A2 grade.
I suggest you should retake in order to be able to meet offers - like an A
BUT you can try and get 95% in A2 exams to get an A overall
depends on what you feel more comfortable doing
hope this helps :smile:
and good luck for your UKCAT
if you get predicted AAA you might have a chance
Reply 3
Original post by ihatetswizzle
Hi guys,
A in eng lit
B in bio
B in chem
C in maths
I was sure I wanted to drop lit at the end of this year and I still am going to because I still want to apply for medicine but as maths was an old spec exam, a C will affect my overall grade in maths at the end of Year 13.
I'm going to sit my UKCAT mid-September, but I'm just wondering how much my maths grade will hold me back.

Hi

Welcome to TSR!

The AAA prediction is the main thing - as long as you get this predicted, you have a good a chance as any. :smile:
Reply 4
Hi guys,
A in eng lit
B in bio
B in chem
C in maths

Which unis are you thinking of applying to?
Reply 5
Where are you thinking of applying to?
Original post by Hannah003
I'd say drop English Lit, because it is the highest grade
And for maths, you can easily re take if you think that it will help for your overall A2 grade.
I suggest you should retake in order to be able to meet offers - like an A
BUT you can try and get 95% in A2 exams to get an A overall
depends on what you feel more comfortable doing
hope this helps :smile:
and good luck for your UKCAT

Why?? Surely this one is a good one to be getting an A in A2, and ditching the maths as it's not going well?
Original post by Grace11
Where are you thinking of applying to?

I'm thinking of Liverpool, Sheffield, Manchester and Newcastle at the moment
Original post by Neostigmine
Why?? Surely this one is a good one to be getting an A in A2, and ditching the maths as it's not going well?

I enjoyed maths more than lit this year and it feels much more relevant to medicine, I'm just wondering how hard it'll be for me to get an A in it overall but I think I'll be resitting two of my three AS maths modules next year.
Reply 9

I was sure I wanted to drop lit at the end of this year and I still am going to because I still want to apply for medicine but as maths

You don't need maths for medicine. It won't give you an advantage. Bio Chem and English Lit is absolutely fine for applying to medicine.

If you were to drop maths and forget about it, you'd be more likely to be predicted AAA for Bio, Chem and Lit. Remember - it's your predictions that matter.

Then go ahead and achieve AAA at A2!

When you apply to med schools, most don't have 4th AS requirements so that C in Maths shouldn't hold you back.
Reply 10
I enjoyed maths more than lit this year and it feels much more relevant to medicine, I'm just wondering how hard it'll be for me to get an A in it overall but I think I'll be resitting two of my three AS maths modules next year.

It may feel more relevant to you, but it isn't. So if you take it, just remember that it's not going to benefit you at medical school and it's not going to make your application look more favourable if you have taken maths at A2 instead of English Lit.

Whatever you do, just remember that you need to give yourself the best shot at achieving AAA at A2. By all means, do subjects that you enjoy but just remember that ultimately, you want to do medicine and you need AAA for it. Play to your strengths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending