The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Hi i really need help and im really frustrated so i got into my firm however because i hadnt completed these DBS checks and forms to fill in before late june it means now that i cant get in this year and would have to defer my place till next year. However i didnt recieve any email or anything through the post saying anything about these forms to complete however others unis did send this to me and i did complete and send it.

The uni has said they have sent it and there isnt anything they can do since they are "full".
I feel its unfair that i cant go because of these checks that i didnt recieve that apparently cannot be done retrospectively. Is there anything i can do appeal? I really need some help

That's a really tricky situation, I'm so sorry to hear that :frown: I don't really know what to suggest as unfortunately the university have the upper hand here, but if I were you I would submit a DBS application and submit the necessary paperwork ASAP, if possible. DBS takes about two weeks if I remember correctly, so it should get back before the start of term. It's a very slim chance, but probably the only way of having any chance at all.

That's really unprofessional of the university though :frown: Do you have your heart set on going there or would you consider enrolling elsewhere?
Original post by claireestelle
They can see your application as soon as you give them your clearing number.

I have referred myself to them but my clearing number disappeared. Why is that?
Original post by mint_chocolate
I have referred myself to them but my clearing number disappeared. Why is that?

when you say referred do you mean you added them as a clearing choice?
when you say referred do you mean you added them as a clearing choice?

Yes.
Reply 9324
Original post by Nirgilis
You're, like, 500 posts too early! :tongue:

I got...excited, alright?
Can you get a maintenance grant if your 26 years old and want to go to uni
Yes.

Because once you've found a place in clearing then you dont require the number anymore, assuming they accept you.
Original post by SH0405
I got...excited, alright?

That's fine :smile: . We're just keeping things nice and tidy here :wink:
Original post by xxvine
Can you get a maintenance grant if your 26 years old and want to go to uni

If you haven't already used up your maximum years then yes!
Because once you've found a place in clearing then you dont require the number anymore, assuming they accept you.

So you mean I just have to wait for their decision, is that right?
Has anyone else found that unis haven't asked for your clearing number? They've just asked for my long UCAS number :s-smilie:
So you mean I just have to wait for their decision, is that right?

yes you do.
what is the exact wording coming up on track?

Firm : Congratulations! Your place at ........ to study .... is confirmed

Insurance : Your place is confirmed at this University if you're NOT accepted at your firm choice
Original post by Marccs
Firm : Congratulations! Your place at ........ to study .... is confirmed

Insurance : Your place is confirmed at this University if you're NOT accepted at your firm choice

Oh then you re in but your insurance hadn't updated as they might not have realised you ve gotten into your firm yet.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
That's a really tricky situation, I'm so sorry to hear that :frown: I don't really know what to suggest as unfortunately the university have the upper hand here, but if I were you I would submit a DBS application and submit the necessary paperwork ASAP, if possible. DBS takes about two weeks if I remember correctly, so it should get back before the start of term. It's a very slim chance, but probably the only way of having any chance at all.

That's really unprofessional of the university though :frown: Do you have your heart set on going there or would you consider enrolling elsewhere?

So I sent a dBs for another uni which I received an offer which im happy to go to although I had my heart sat on this particular uni. Do you think the uni I had could send this dBs form to this other Uni? The problem is he said you can't fill this dBs form retrospectively I feel it's really unfair and I'm gutted any help is appreciated.
Original post by OriginalLifelin
I'm going to reapply and sit a couple more a levels. Not to Oxbridge though, I've had enough of them to be honest

Don't shut the door to Oxbridge. You never know. there are people in your situation, who reapplied to Oxbridge and got in.

Manchester is also a good choice.

I think that as long as you have a strong application plus grades, it will be difficult to say no to you. Besides, if you have a decent internship or apprenticeship, then your case becomes stronger than others.

Also, please make use of all your 5 choices. I know that you may really love your firm choice, but it is good to have two shortlisted options with an insurance for any eventuality.

Don't be stressed about this situation. You can make the most of your year ahead.

All the best. :smile:
Original post by vlb206
If you haven't already used up your maximum years then yes!

My sisters friend has never been uni before. She wants to go next year but she's 25 now. How does finance work...will she get the full grant and loan even if she's 25?
Original post by xxvine
My sisters friend has never been uni before. She wants to go next year but she's 25 now. How does finance work...will she get the full grant and loan even if she's 25?

If she's never applied for it then I believe yes she's entitled to the full time of her course + 1 year.
Original post by xxvine

Age isn't taken into consideration at all except for working out whether you're dependent on your parents or classed as an independent applicant.
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
So I sent a dBs for another uni which I received an offer which im happy to go to although I had my heart sat on this particular uni. Do you think the uni I had could send this dBs form to this other Uni? The problem is he said you can't fill this dBs form retrospectively I feel it's really unfair and I'm gutted any help is appreciated.

You could suggest sending the DBS from the other university, but don't count on them still accepting you :frown: How have you contacted them? Maybe try asking to speak to someone higher up within admissions? Again, sorry to hear that this has happened.

Quick Reply

Latest