The Student Room Group

1 ums from offer!

Guys I'm absolutely gutted, I'm one ums away from my offer and my uni is completely refusing to negotiate. I was thinking of getting a priority remark but with the new system do you think it's going to be worth it? It was in chem as well :/

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lerche
Guys I'm absolutely gutted, I'm one ums away from my offer and my uni is completely refusing to negotiate. I was thinking of getting a priority remark but with the new system do you think it's going to be worth it? It was in chem as well :/

Your uni is ridiculous!
I was three grades away from my offer and I still got accepted and they're a good uni too :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lerche

If the university have said you're unsuccessful it's unfortunately game over. You could get a priority remark, but I couldn't put all your eggs in one basket.

Where is your insurance? Would you be happy to go there?
Reply 3
Original post by Slowbro93
If the university have said you're unsuccessful it's unfortunately game over. You could get a priority remark, but I couldn't put all your eggs in one basket.

Where is your insurance? Would you be happy to go there?

My uni said that if the remark changed the grade they'd be happy to take me which is why I'm seriously considering it.
I don't have an insurance unfortunately!
Original post by Lerche

omg that soo weird,just for one ums, they would refuse u?:eek:
well i dunno, depends if u really wanna go there i guess
and how much do u have to pay?
Original post by Lerche
My uni said that if the remark changed the grade they'd be happy to take me which is why I'm seriously considering it.
I don't have an insurance unfortunately!

Then in that case, I would do the remark and see what happens. Have you found anything in clearing possibly?
Reply 6
Original post by mediaya
omg that soo weird,just for one ums, they would refuse u?:eek:
well i dunno, depends if u really wanna go there i guess
and how much do u have to pay?

£47.10 rip

My offer was AAA and I got A*AB with the B being one ums away from an A :frown:
Original post by Lerche

I missed my Chemistry grade by 1 UMS too and same story with university not budgin an inch. But which module do we chose to get remarked? Do we risk remarking the whole subject to earn 1 UMS or just the lowest grade because I've heard the marking can go either way
Original post by Lerche
£47.10 rip

ah u should try i think :yes:

but u still got that A*....seriously thats weird :colonhash:

Spoiler

Reply 9
Original post by gcooney4
I missed my Chemistry grade by 1 UMS too and same story with university not budgin an inch. But which module do we chose to get remarked? Do we risk remarking the whole subject to earn 1 UMS or just the lowest grade because I've heard the marking can go either way

I was told if I chose to get one remarked, I should choose chem 5 as it has more writing bits. They also said not to get two marked at once because if one goes up and the other goes up then it's even worse?
We're in the same boat then! Best of luck to you x
Original post by Lerche
£47.10 rip

My grades are so similar. I got A*BB and offer of AAA need to resit one Biology modulue for sure and then remark the other B that is 1 UMS from A
Reply 11
Original post by mediaya
ah u should try i think :yes:

but u still got that A*....seriously thats weird :colonhash:

Spoiler

Imperial College for medicine. They said the A* doesn't compensate for the B
Original post by Lerche
Imperial College for medicine. They said the A* doesn't compensate for the B

they are very strict :colonhash: well i gues its for medicne that why :facepalm:
have u got an insurance tho?
Original post by Lerche
I was told if I chose to get one remarked, I should choose chem 5 as it has more writing bits. They also said not to get two marked at once because if one goes up and the other goes up then it's even worse?

I haven't yet spoken to my Chemistry teachers but I need advice. I'm already going to be resitting a Biology exam but its a question of: should I risk being lazy and ask for a remark or should I just resit the module and rely on my resitting technique. But is it worth resitting for just 1 UMS but then again is it worth asking for a remark when the margin is so thin (1 UMS away)
Original post by Lerche

How long does the remark take because if its before the deadline for entering for a resit we could risk it and then if its remarked down or not changed then we have the choice of resitting
Reply 15
How long does the remark take because if its before the deadline for entering for a resit we could risk it and then if its remarked down or not changed then we have the choice of resitting

Priority remark is within a week I think? It costs a pretty penny though but I'll be willing to pay it if the new system doesn't screw up my chances completely!
Reply 16
Original post by L in University
You're uni is ridiculous!
I was three grades away from my offer and I still got accepted and they're a good uni too :tongue:
what uni ?
Original post by Lerche
Priority remark is within a week I think? It costs a pretty penny though but I'll be willing to pay it if the new system doesn't screw up my chances completely!

Whats the "new system"? Is it basically that examiners should respect the previous marking and agree with it rather than penalise?
Reply 18
Whats the "new system"? Is it basically that examiners should respect the previous marking and agree with it rather than penalise?

It's something like they'll only change it if it's obviously wrong? I've only heard rumours though so I wanted to see if anyone else knew more about it?
Original post by Lerche
It's something like they'll only change it if it's obviously wrong? I've only heard rumours though so I wanted to see if anyone else knew more about it?

How much roughly is priority mark? I feel that this one has the best chance because clearly people who ask for priority marks have an offer which they are desperately holding

Quick Reply

Latest