The Student Room Group

Didn't get my firm or insurance, devastated and need help

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I would really suggest not doing a TESOL with Japanese but do English language and Japanese at York St. John. I understand it may seem quite englishy but the english language side actual focuses a lot on other languages, including German, which you can chose to study for a term, module etc.
Warwick is offering German studies with Japanese and they want abb with German at a b so you could give them a go; Sheffield is offering Germanic studies with Japanese at the same offer. Kent is offering Asian studies with German at bbb and UCLan is offering Asia Pacific studies with Japanese for 280-320 Ucas points with no specific grades in any subject required.
Reply 22
Original post by Jackaji
Sorry guys, this is extremely stressful for me atm. To give you an idea:

Option 1: Go to UCLan to do Japanese and German (3rd year in Japan)

Option 2: Go to York St John to do TESOL and Japanese (2nd year in Japan)

Option 3: Self-teach and get private help for a year and resit Physics and German to get AAB or ABB (However I'm not sure if this is an option anymore with the year below having a new format?)

To be honest, none of these choices are that appealing. With 1, there is the issue of the reasonably long commute and possibly spending 2 years apart due to the different year abroad times.

With 2, I'll be in a good situation regarding my girlfriend, 20 mins commute and we both go to Japan at the same time; the issue here is I'm not sure if TESOL is something I want to do, and if i do end up dropping out that's a whole lot of money down the drain.

Finally, with 3, I have to spend yet another year doing dreaded A levels whilst my friends and girlfriend are away at uni and if I do get into leeds at the end of the year, the 2 year apart problem is there again.I pretty much have to accept defeat one way or another, I'm just unsure of which option to choose... :/

That is a pretty tricky situation! As before, I think I'd suggest trying to get to Open Days at UCLAN and York St John, you might find that you really like either one and that might make a decision for you. Who knows - you might love TESOL and it would add an extra job option afterwards! But equally - you might hate it. I think as I suggested before, check that York St John would make you an offer, try to do some research with Open Days. If after that, you don't like either option, it would be looking at requalifying to go to Leeds.

EDIT: I'd really try to get to the York St John Open Day this Saturday - if you like it and like the English/TESOL option then it could make this decision a lot easier?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by YorkUK
That is a pretty tricky situation! As before, I think I'd suggest trying to get to Open Days at UCLAN and York St John, you might find that you really like either one and that might make a decision for you. Who knows - you might love TESOL and it would add an extra job option afterwards! But equally - you might hate it. I think as I suggested before, check that York St John would make you an offer, try to do some research with Open Days. If after that, you don't like either option, it would be looking at requalifying to go to Leeds.

EDIT: I'd really try to get to the York St John Open Day this Saturday - if you like it and like the English/TESOL option then it could make this decision a lot easier?

Thanks for the help, I think I'll call York SJ's hotline tomorrow (it's closed) and see if I can get an offer, then book the open day and see if I like it.
Original post by Jackaji

Option 3: Self-teach and get private help for a year and resit Physics and German to get AAB or ABB (However I'm not sure if this is an option anymore with the year below having a new format?)

To be honest, none of these choices are that appealing. With 1, there is the issue of the reasonably long commute and possibly spending 2 years apart due to the different year abroad times.

With 2, I'll be in a good situation regarding my girlfriend, 20 mins commute and we both go to Japan at the same time; the issue here is I'm not sure if TESOL is something I want to do, and if i do end up dropping out that's a whole lot of money down the drain.

Finally, with 3, I have to spend yet another year doing dreaded A levels whilst my friends and girlfriend are away at uni and if I do get into leeds at the end of the year, the 2 year apart problem is there again.I pretty much have to accept defeat one way or another, I'm just unsure of which option to choose... :/

Edit: Forgot to mention the fact that I'm extremely rushed to choose an option through clearing as well...

Go 2
Reply 25
Original post by Jackaji

Edit: Forgot to mention the fact that I'm extremely rushed to choose an option through clearing as well...

Not for me to say but I'd go for option 2. Having studied languages myself, TESOL is a really good tool to have when you graduate because teaching jobs are the most abundant with languages. It doesn't mean you have to be a teacher for life, but it does mean that you have something to fall back on.
It also solves the gf issue but really the main thing you should think about is how rewarding the course is because - I hope you and your gf stay together but it isn't a given, whereas the rest of the issues you are having to weigh up will affect the rest of your life, that is a given!!
Reply 26
Hey OP have you considered a foundation year? Just looked at the Leeds website and passing grants you access to an undergraduate degree at the School of Languages. Requirements seem to be CDD in any A Levels. Here's the link:

http://www.llc.leeds.ac.uk/courses/arts-and-humanities-with-foundation-year/entry-criteria

and on their clearing page:

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/clearing/courses?act=index&q=foundation

It comes under arts and humanities. :smile:
Is there any way your girlfriend could change HER course to suit you ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending