The Student Room Group

D, E, E, U

I got my AS exam results today and have got significantly less than I thought I would:

English Language & Literature - D
Biology - E
Chemistry - E
Physics - U

Predictions from teachers throughout the year:
English Language & Literature - A
Biology - A
Chemistry - A
Physics - B

I got A's in my mocks and class exams throughout the year and don't know what went wrong. Should I retake the year and start afresh in Year 12? I can do this either at my school or another. Or should I resit AS and A2? It will put a lot of pressure on my A2 results if I do them all in one sitting.
What do you think went wrong?

And are these grades from new linear A levels?
I'm so sorry about this. This kinda **** happened to me and I think that redoing the year is the best option. Soooo many people redo the year and they can still go to top unis. At least it's not A2. This new system has wrecked a lot more people's lives than I thought (including me)
(edited 7 years ago)
I wanted to take medicine but that is obviously not possible. I'm looking into Biological Sciences in which I need BCC/CCC so hopefully if I retake the year I'll be able to get my AS results up enough to meet the grades.
Original post by _4everfaithful__
I'm so sorry about this. This kinda **** happened to me and I think that redoing the year is the best option. Soooo many people redo the year and they can still go to top unis. At least it's not A2. This new system has wrecked a lot more people's lives than I thought (including me)

Yeah it has. I know a lot of people who only just scraped a D in Biology and Chemistry and the rest got either E's like me or U's. I'm thinking of retaking the year at my school but it's not like my teachers will change and many are unqualified to teach the specification as our school used to only do Edexcel before switching to AQA so they kept teaching us the wrong content so I'm considering moving.
Thanks! I'll email my teachers again now as all of them are off on holiday and ask what it is I need to do.
Thanks! I'll email my teachers again now as all of them are off on holiday and ask what it is I need to do.
To be honest if you're taking the new linear paper, you've still got time to get those grades. THATS if you're DETERMINED enough to get them...

l mean, at the end of the day those grades are not accounted for.
Original post by imanonymous123
Yeah it has. I know a lot of people who only just scraped a D in Biology and Chemistry and the rest got either E's like me or U's. I'm thinking of retaking the year at my school but it's not like my teachers will change and many are unqualified to teach the specification as our school used to only do Edexcel before switching to AQA so they kept teaching us the wrong content so I'm considering moving.

It's best to move sixth forms firstly because of the atmosphere of seeing people in your year everyday until they go to uni and your situation of the teachers not experienced with the new exam board
Original post by _4everfaithful__
It's best to move sixth forms firstly because of the atmosphere of seeing people in your year everyday until they go to uni and your situation of the teachers not experienced with the new exam board

There are no schools near me that would potentially help me if I were to transfer. There was a girl who came to my school to retake Year 12 and it takes her over an hour to get to school everyday because there are not any other good schools nearby and if there are, you have to either be religious to get in or have to get great grades because they are private.

Quick Reply

Latest