The Student Room Group

Maths BSc or Mathematical Sciences BSc??

So I missed my offer for my firm of BSc Mathematics at Exeter and they have offered me Mathematical Sciences BSc instead. I also have an offer from my insurance at Lancaster for Maths BSc.

I was mainly wondering what the difference is between the two courses, and if it's likely i'd be able to transfer from mathematical sciences to maths if I was performing well enough?

Any one who is studying mathematical sciences feel free to chip in with your opinion. My plan was to study a maths degree followed by a PGCE so I could become a teacher.

I feel really stuck guys, I don't know which to pick, is mathematical sciences just a dumbed down version of maths??

please help :frown:
Original post by Katiee224
So I missed my offer for my firm of BSc Mathematics at Exeter and they have offered me Mathematical Sciences BSc instead. I also have an offer from my insurance at Lancaster for Maths BSc.

I was mainly wondering what the difference is between the two courses, and if it's likely i'd be able to transfer from mathematical sciences to maths if I was performing well enough?

Any one who is studying mathematical sciences feel free to chip in with your opinion. My plan was to study a maths degree followed by a PGCE so I could become a teacher.

I feel really stuck guys, I don't know which to pick, is mathematical sciences just a dumbed down version of maths??

Have a look at the difference in the modules between Maths and Mathematical Sciences at Exeter - that should tell you the differences.

If your aim is to become a Maths teacher, you need to check that the degree offered would get you into a PGCE. My guess is that it would but many of the optional modules appear to be only tanegentially connected to Maths

Lastly, you need to consider the fact that Exeter's Mathematical Sciences degree is taught at the Penryn campus, ie not in Exeter itself but in a smaller, satellite campus many miles away.
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Have a look at the difference in the modules between Maths and Mathematical Sciences at Exeter - that should tell you the differences.

If your aim is to become a Maths teacher, you need to check that the degree offered would get you into a PGCE. My guess is that it would but many of the optional modules appear to be only tanegentially connected to Maths

Lastly, you need to consider the fact that Exeter's Mathematical Sciences degree is taught at the Penryn campus, ie not in Exeter itself but in a smaller, satellite campus many miles away.

Thanks for the advice, the first year looks quite similar but then differs after that so I'm really unsure if I could do a PGCE afterwards.Do you think it would be worth me calling up the department and asking them?

I'm really stuck on which uni to chose :colondollar:
I'd call the department and ask them. You also need to consider where you want to live for the next 3 years+
Thanks for the advice, the first year looks quite similar but then differs after that so I'm really unsure if I could do a PGCE afterwards.Do you think it would be worth me calling up the department and asking them?

I'm really stuck on which uni to chose :colondollar:

Many of the Penryn options appear to have very little to do with Maths and a lot to do with marine biology. Check with the dept by all means, but I don't know how accurate their information would be. Ideally, you should contact PGCE departments to ask them. Also consider whether you would enjoy the Penryn course given the nature of most of the optional modules. Even though there are a few more 'Mathsy' options, I suspect there will be a lot of pressure to get on them.

Have you visited Lancaster or Penryn? I know Exeter well because my son went there, but only went to Lancaster for a weekend so can't really comment.

Lastly, when do you have to make your decision by?

I study Mathematical Sciences at Bath, which offers Mathematics as well.

The two key differences here (you should look up what the difference is at Exeter) are that there is no Masters offered for MathSci (only for Mathematics, but with the right grades and right modules you can switch to Mathematics at any point) but as a consequence, the option choices for mathematics is far far worse.

I originally applied for Mathematics but switched to MathSci in the first year as the option choices are just much, much better (at Bath). It's a bit difficult because they've offered you MathSci instead of Maths and I don't know if the modules are the same for both courses at Exeter in the first year, but if so then you should be able to switch.

With MathSci here you can choose any module that Mathematics students can, but with far, far, far less constraints. In Mathematics you are forced to study Algebra and Analysis throughout your degree, whereas with MathSci you can choose those if you want to but you have a wide range of applied units you can pick (eg Econometrics, Accounting, Finance, Teaching, Computing, Physics...) which are 'easier' to some extent in that they're usually introductory and also different / interesting, whereas for me Algebra/Analysis past an introductory level is disinteresting and, as a result, too difficult for me to do.

So if your MathSci is anything like mine, I would 100% recommend it. I'm also under the impression that there is little to no difference between what employers see in BSc Mathematics vs BSc Mathematical Sciences - at least, that is what was said at the start of the year :tongue:
Original post by SeanFM
I study Mathematical Sciences at Bath, which offers Mathematics as well.

The two key differences here (you should look up what the difference is at Exeter) are that there is no Masters offered for MathSci (only for Mathematics, but with the right grades and right modules you can switch to Mathematics at any point) but as a consequence, the option choices for mathematics is far far worse.

I originally applied for Mathematics but switched to MathSci in the first year as the option choices are just much, much better (at Bath). It's a bit difficult because they've offered you MathSci instead of Maths and I don't know if the modules are the same for both courses at Exeter in the first year, but if so then you should be able to switch.

With MathSci here you can choose any module that Mathematics students can, but with far, far, far less constraints. In Mathematics you are forced to study Algebra and Analysis throughout your degree, whereas with MathSci you can choose those if you want to but you have a wide range of applied units you can pick (eg Econometrics, Accounting, Finance, Teaching, Computing, Physics...) which are 'easier' to some extent in that they're usually introductory and also different / interesting, whereas for me Algebra/Analysis past an introductory level is disinteresting and, as a result, too difficult for me to do.

So if your MathSci is anything like mine, I would 100% recommend it. I'm also under the impression that there is little to no difference between what employers see in BSc Mathematics vs BSc Mathematical Sciences - at least, that is what was said at the start of the year :tongue:

How do your options compare toExeter's: http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees2016/mathematics/mathematical-sciences-bsc/#Programme-structure ?

To answer that in two kinds of ways at the same time...

Briefly comparing MathSci to Maths at Exeter with MathSci to Maths at Bath, they're similar in that of the option choices, MathSci definitely has the more interesting ones and has less compulsory modules on the 'pure' areas of Maths, i.e calculus, Algebra and Analysis, though with MathSci at Bath you can choose any Mathematics module, it seems that at Exeter you can choose the majority of, but not all, of the modules that Mathematics offers.

And to compare Exeter's to Bath's MathSci course, although on the face of it the modules at Exeter's modules seem more interesting they are mostly about the environment and related things, there's not as much for the different areas that you can study at Bath (Accounting/Finance/Computing/Physics/Econometrics, though there's only 3 or 4 modules for most of those areas that you can study here) as well as a lack of a teaching module at Exeter (of which there are 3 available in the third year here, though I do not know if all 3 can be studied at the same time) and there seems to be a placement module on both courses at Exeter, whereas the course here has an optional year long placement opportunity.

In terms of the actual Maths areas that are studied, it seems that they cover the same areas, judging by the titles of the units.
Reply 9
Thanks for all your replies everyone, it's been helpful reading them, especially what SeanFM had to say.

I decided on Lancaster in the end for a few reasons, firstly the campus was in cornwall and too far from where I live. The course was new and in its first year so it was always a bit risky, also there wasn't enough pure maths, it all seemed applied and I didn't understand what any of the modules were.

If it was mathematical sciences at Bath I would have probably gone for it as it's more simular to the maths bsc and looked to have better choice in modules then Exeters version.

Guess I'm not much of a risk taker :tongue: Hope I've made the right decision :colondollar:
Thanks for all your replies everyone, it's been helpful reading them, especially what SeanFM had to say.

I decided on Lancaster in the end for a few reasons, firstly the campus was in cornwall and too far from where I live. The course was new and in its first year so it was always a bit risky, also there wasn't enough pure maths, it all seemed applied and I didn't understand what any of the modules were.

If it was mathematical sciences at Bath I would have probably gone for it as it's more simular to the maths bsc and looked to have better choice in modules then Exeters version.

Guess I'm not much of a risk taker :tongue: Hope I've made the right decision :colondollar:

I suspect you have made the right decision. Exeter seem to use their Penryn campus as a bit of a dumping ground for those who didn't quite make the grades for Streatham. Not only is the environment completely different, but some of the courses (I have noted History and English Lit in particular) being below the standard of those in Exeter.

Have fun in Lancaster - and enjoy the Roses weekend vs York, assuming they still do that!
Hope I've made the right decision :colondollar:
Lancaster is first-class uni so I'm sure you have.

Original post by ageshallnot
I suspect you have made the right decision. Exeter seem to use their Penryn campus as a bit of a dumping ground for those who didn't quite make the grades for Streatham. Not only is the environment completely different, but some of the courses (I have noted History and English Lit in particular) being below the standard of those in Exeter.

Have fun in Lancaster - and enjoy the Roses weekend vs York, assuming they still do that!
Oh yes, they still do that :tongue:

I've just had a look through the module descriptions for Lancaster to see if there is anything useful I can say.

Glad that you're keen to do pure maths :tongue: but it might not be your thing once you've studied enough of it - who knows, and you get to study a lot of the different areas for the first 2 years (including lots of pure, fun!) and then some degree of choice in the third year though you'll probably have to study a bit of pure, which may or may not be a good thing for you. Out of my 10 third year options, 2 are Econometrics, 2 or 3 are teaching, 4 or 3 are statistics (the 'or' here because you have to apply and do like DBS checks to be able to do the teaching modules) and 2 are decision so... a total of 0 pure :lol: because that's how much I love it! But there are people who enjoy the pure stuff so.. :dontknow: :iiam:

Good luck anyway :redface: I think Lancaster has a good enough rep (from the point of view of a student, mind) and apart from that it's about your classification, your skills and your experience, some / alot of which you get from studying maths at uni (eg you use R and Latex, just like at Bath and a few other unis I know of :tongue:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending