The Student Room Group

3 UMS off an A in AS Maths. Need advice please.

Got AAAB in Chemistry, Computer Science, Physics, and Maths, respectively. Dropped Computer Science because I definitely need Maths and Physics for a Physics degree and I find Chemistry easier than Computer Science.

Module UMS for Maths is as follows:
Core 1 - 78 (B)
Core 2 - 78 (B)
Stats 1 - 81 (A)

A bit gutted. I admit I didn't work as hard as I should've but I was definitely expecting an A in Core 1 at least. The grade boundaries were 53 marks for an A in core 1 and when I used unofficial mark schemes after the exam I got like 57+ marks, but I may have just been too lenient on myself or the unofficial mark scheme could've been wrong. I was expecting to do **** in core 2 because that's the one I prepared for the least as it was in between multiple exams.

Which modules should I get remarked, if any? Should I try and get an A prediction if I don't remark/if I remark but it stays at a B? Or should I just accept a B prediction and try and go for integrated foundation year options (Manchester, St Andrews, etc)? If I can't even get an A at AS, can I get an A overall for A-level?

Advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DarkEnergy
Got AAAB in Chemistry, Computer Science, Physics, and Maths, respectively. Dropped Computer Science because I need these three to do Chemical Physics.

Core 1 - 78 (B)
Core 2 - 78 (B)
Core 3 - 81 (A)

A bit gutted. I admit I didn't work as hard as I should've but I was definitely expecting an A in Core 1 at least. The grade boundaries were 53 marks for an A in core 1 and when I used unofficial mark schemes after the exam I got like 57+ marks, but I may have just been too lenient on myself or the unofficial mark scheme could've been wrong. I was expecting to do **** in core 2 because that's the one I prepared for the least as it was in between multiple exams.

Which modules should I get remarked, if any? Should I try and get an A prediction if I don't remark/if I remark but it stays at a B? Or should I just accept a B prediction and try and go for integrated foundation year options (Manchester, St Andrews, etc)? If I can't even get an A at AS, can I get an A overall for A-level?

I don't think you need to get a remark. You can get 81, 81, 81 in A2 modules and get an A overall. Being that close to the boundary should also mean your teachers will predict you an A. Therefore you should definitely keep the plan to apply to the top universities, write a decent personal statement and get brilliant references :h:
Reply 2
Original post by Nirgilis
I don't think you need to get a remark. You can get 81, 81, 81 in A2 modules and get an A overall. Being that close to the boundary should also mean your teachers will predict you an A. Therefore you should definitely keep the plan to apply to the top universities, write a decent personal statement and get brilliant references :h:

Thank you very much. Only problem is do you think the B on my uni application will 'weaken' my application? I know Cambridge asks for UMS in the SAQ but other universities will only see that I got a B. Should I try to get my UMS mentioned in my reference?

Also, someone on Reddit said I should try and resit core 1 and core 2 next year, as after doing core 3 and core 4, the previous core modules become a lot easier. Is this a viable option?
(edited 7 years ago)
Got AAAB in Chemistry, Computer Science, Physics, and Maths, respectively. Dropped Computer Science because I definitely need Maths and Physics for a Physics degree and I find Chemistry easier than Computer Science.

Core 1 - 78 (B)
Core 2 - 78 (B)
Core 3 - 81 (A)

I would resit C1 next year with C4 and your applied modules - it should be easy to get more UMS. You could get a photocopy for your teacher to check against the mark scheme?
Thank you very much. Only problem is do you think the B on my uni application will 'weaken' my application? I know Cambridge asks for UMS in the SAQ but other universities will only see that I got a B. Should I try to get my UMS mentioned in my reference?

That's what the reference is there for, so definitely discuss it with your exams officer :yep:

Also, someone on Reddit said I should try and resit core 1 and core 2 next year, as after doing core 3 and core 4, the previous core modules become a lot easier. Is this a viable option?

That's a very viable option, and very true (based on personal experience :wink: )
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
I would resit C1 next year with C4 and your applied modules - it should be easy to get more UMS. You could get a photocopy for your teacher to check against the mark scheme?

Thanks for the reply. Why only C1? Is the photocopy free?
Reply 6
Original post by Nirgilis
That's what the reference is there for, so definitely discuss it with your exams officer :yep:

That's a very viable option, and very true (based on personal experience :wink: )

Thanks again.
Reply 7

Core 1 - 78 (B)
Core 2 - 78 (B)
Core 3 - 81 (A)

Is this OCR?
Reply 8
Original post by SGHD26716
Is this OCR?

Yeah
Reply 9
Yeah

The C1 paper is on a YouTube channel called Miss Penny with full solutions. If you can roughly remember your answers, then that could help.
Original post by SGHD26716
The C1 paper is on a YouTube channel called Miss Penny with full solutions. If you can roughly remember your answers, then that could help.

Thanks, will check that out
I was on the boundary for an A last year at AS with an A in C1 and Bs in C2&S1. Resat my C2&S1 getting 90ums this year and got a C and an E in C3&C4 and still got an A overall because when the extra ums from my resits counted towards my bad papers. Work hard and resit some and you'll defo get an A 👍🏽

Also it's rare remarks change as in maths you tend to be right or wrong and it's not really an opinion of interpretation like English etc
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RachelHoggarth
I was on the boundary for an A last year at AS with an A in C1 and Bs in C2&S1. Resat my C2&S1 getting 90ums this year and got a C and an E in C3&C4 and still got an A overall because when the extra ums from my resits counted towards my bad papers. Work hard and resit some and you'll defo get an A 👍🏽

Thank you for the advice.
Thanks for the reply. Why only C1? Is the photocopy free?

No point resitting the others as it will overload you - it's the easiest to improve.

You have to pay for a photocopy of your paper.
Reply 14

Core 1 - 78 (B)
Core 2 - 78 (B)
Core 3 - 81 (A)

I talked to my maths teacher before school ended as I knew I hadn't done so well in a module and she said if I retook that she would give me an A prediction. I'm 11 ums off an A and I'm being given an A prediction so id definitely go for the A prediction!
how did you sit core 3 without an AS applied module?
as grades aren't a big deal you can retake next year
Original post by SamLuxa
I talked to my maths teacher before school ended as I knew I hadn't done so well in a module and she said if I retook that she would give me an A prediction. I'm 11 ums off an A and I'm being given an A prediction so id definitely go for the A prediction!

Thanks for the advice. I really wish I did really bad in one module, instead of being borderline in all 3 :/
Oops, accidentally wrote core 3 instead of stats 1 (sleep deprivation). Thanks for the advice.

BTW, I looked at your profile and saw that you go to Edinburgh. Considering applying there for Physics, would you recommend the uni?
Oops, accidentally wrote core 3 instead of stats 1 (sleep deprivation). Thanks for the advice.

BTW, I looked at your profile and saw that you go to Edinburgh. Considering applying there for Physics, would you recommend the uni?

im not there yet. they have a good physics department and they offer lots of physics degrees from computational physics to astrophysics at undergraduate level
Reply 19
Thanks for the advice. I really wish I did really bad in one module, instead of being borderline in all 3 :/

Considering you have 50% of the course left with 300 UMS points to gain 3 UMS isn't that significant. To put it in perspective that's 0.5% of the total 600 marks, so I'd see your result as a success!

Quick Reply