Original post by drandy76
It has a derivative called DerpPlusPlus which Is pretty cool too

d/dx(brainfu*k) = derpplusplus what is this sorcery maths
Original post by Zacken
d/dx(brainfu*k) = derpplusplus what is this sorcery maths

It's part 111 ****, proper advanced
It's part 111 ****, proper advanced

I myself program in a very high level language.

It's called 'messaging friends who can program properly'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
I myself program in a very high level language.

It's called 'messaging friends who can program properly'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Friends....404 not found
A quick question on notation: If a group H H is a subgroup of a group G G and GG G \thickapprox G' is it fine to say H H is a subgroup of G G' ? e.g. is SL(2,Z) SL(2, \mathbb{Z} ) a subgroup of the Mobius group?
Original post by EnglishMuon
A quick question on notation: If a group H H is a subgroup of a group G G and GG G \thickapprox G' is it fine to say H H is a subgroup of G G' ? e.g. is SL(2,Z) SL(2, \mathbb{Z} ) a subgroup of the Mobius group?

It depends upon (a) how formal you are trying to be and (b) how the groups concerned are actually specified. Let me simplify the situation and ask what the difference might be between saying that "H is a subgroup of G" and "H is isomorphic to a subgroup of G". Can you think of circumstances where you might wish to prefer the one over the other?
Original post by Gregorius
It depends upon (a) how formal you are trying to be and (b) how the groups concerned are actually specified. Let me simplify the situation and ask what the difference might be between saying that "H is a subgroup of G" and "H is isomorphic to a subgroup of G". Can you think of circumstances where you might wish to prefer the one over the other?

Im not sure when the "H is a subgroup of G" case is more useful than the other (the other which I assume is the proper statement), but Ive still seen it used every now and then in different texts. What circumstances were you thinking of? Perhaps when the operation G G' is under is easier to deal with than the operation in G G it may be easier to look at G G' but that's probably a different situation.
Original post by EnglishMuon
Im not sure when the "H is a subgroup of G" case is more useful than the other (the other which I assume is the proper statement), but Ive still seen it used every now and then in different texts. What circumstances were you thinking of? Perhaps when the operation G G' is under is easier to deal with than the operation in G G it may be easier to look at G G' but that's probably a different situation.

Yes, you do see the informal use. Pure mathematicians, having established that rigour can be achieved, not infrequently let their hair down and talk quite informally, safe in the knowledge that they could fill in the filthy details if they wanted to.

The circumstances that I'm thinking of can be seen in this statement of Cayley's thorem. The group that you are dealing with may be specified in a number of different ways: as a group of matrices; as a group presentation; as a table specifying the group operation; etc, etc. If you say that H is a subgroup of G, you are implicitly saying that the elements of H are a subset of the elements of G, rather than saying that the elements of H can be identified with a subset of the elements of G.

So if you're dealing with a group of matrices G and you identify a subset H of those matrices that itself forms a group, it would be perfectly OK to say that H is a subgroup of G. On the other hand, if H was specified via abstract elements in a multiplication table, then you should probably saying that H is isomorphic to a subgroup of G.
I was thinking of writing some notes on groups and other topics for 1st year mathematics, if this would be any use to anyone
Original post by A Slice of Pi
I was thinking of writing some notes on groups and other topics for 1st year mathematics, if this would be any use to anyone

Yeah could do with a refresher on groups, what other topics you thinking of?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah could do with a refresher on groups, what other topics you thinking of?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Vector calculus, multivariable calculus, linear algebra etc.
Vector calculus, multivariable calculus, linear algebra etc.

Will be covering linear algebra myself, but I'll look over vector calculus at least

Posted from TSR Mobile
Will be covering linear algebra myself, but I'll look over vector calculus at least

Posted from TSR Mobile

Multivariable can be very interesting
Multivariable can be very interesting

Learnt a bit in year 12, was really cool but didn't quite get to the actual calculus bit unfortunately

Posted from TSR Mobile
For those who would like a refresher on number theory, I've just finished Q4 of this year's BMO2 and it's very nice indeed.

Here's what I did for this one

Spoiler

For those who would like a refresher on number theory, I've just finished Q4 of this year's BMO2 and it's very nice indeed.

Spoiler

I spent like 2 hours staring at this **** in the exam. I spent much time finding numerical values to check it was correct because it sounded so unlikely... sadly my impressive arithmetic got no marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

I remember doing that question, it was nice. I did miss that I can directly conclude 2puv=2kn2 2p - u - v =2^{k}n^2 though and ended up doing a slightly longer method of looking at prime factorisation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey could someone give me the breakdown on how you can use CFE's to solve Pell's equation?
Im timing from when i post this message
Original post by BinaryJava
Hey could someone give me the breakdown on how you can use CFE's to solve Pell's equation?

You might like to take a look at this thread (and the links off it) where I go through using CFs to solve the Pell equation.

Quick Reply

Latest