The Student Room Group

I'm lost- AS result

So i have just got my result. CCDU, Biology Maths Chemistry and Further Maths.
I was going to apply for medicine on my UCAS but it looks like that wouldn't happen. It's been a tough year and i got evidence to prove it i.e. medical/dental, incident abroad and moving location various times. Any advice on what to do for my UCAS? Any hope applying for med this year?
Original post by funkypineapple
So i have just got my result. CCDU, Biology Maths Chemistry and Further Maths.
I was going to apply for medicine on my UCAS but it looks like that wouldn't happen. It's been a tough year and i got evidence to prove it i.e. medical/dental, incident abroad and moving location various times. Any advice on what to do for my UCAS? Any hope applying for med this year?

Really sorry that results didn't go as well as you'd hoped :frown: Usually teachers will predict you up to one grade higher than your AS result, so in this case BBC. Entry requirements for the UK medical schools can be found here. Unfortunately your current predicted grades aren't going to cut it, so you'll need to resit (or redo year 12 entirely. You can see medicine resit policies here), and possibly apply with your achieved grades. Something to bear in mind is that some medical schools have a six-year course with lower requirements, but this may have other requirements such as attending a state school.

Again, sorry that that results day hasn't gone your way this time, but this isn't the end of the road :smile:
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Really sorry that results didn't go as well as you'd hoped :frown: Usually teachers will predict you up to one grade higher than your AS result, so in this case BBC. Entry requirements for the UK medical schools can be found here. Unfortunately your current predicted grades aren't going to cut it, so you'll need to resit (or redo year 12 entirely. You can see medicine resit policies here), and possibly apply with your achieved grades. Something to bear in mind is that some medical schools have a six-year course with lower requirements, but this may have other requirements such as attending a state school.

Again, sorry that that results day hasn't gone your way this time, but this isn't the end of the road :smile:

Thanks for the reply. When doing resits, do i apply to UCAS this year or next year for medicine?
Original post by funkypineapple
Thanks for the reply. When doing resits, do i apply to UCAS this year or next year for medicine?

If you're applying for A100, the five year course, then I'd recommend next year after you've got the grades you need.
If you're applying for the six year course then you can try for this year if you meet the requirements
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
If you're applying for A100, the five year course, then I'd recommend next year after you've got the grades you need.
If you're applying for the six year course then you can try for this year if you meet the requirements

I want to try and apply this year. Any advice on what uni i should try? On the UCAS, do i put my actual grades or predicted resit grades?
Those are not good enough for medicine. Even if there were difficult circumstances, you have not yet proven yourself capable.

Retaking the year is generally a deal-breaker for most med schools though if you did want to contact them with regards to your specific circumstance you could.

Your other options are:

1) Find out what went wrong, fix it, and work like you've never worked before this year. Then once you have your results, you can apply for medicine next year. You'll need to get at least AAA overall to stand a chance.
2) Look into foundation courses. These have various requirements that you will have to look into and/or contact them to see if you are eligible.
3) Do another degree, get a good outcome and apply for graduate entry. This is longer, more expensive (though loans are provided) and more competitive.
4) Lastly, and I think you need to spend the next few weeks giving this some serious thought, consider whether medicine is for you. Why do you like it? What was it from your work experience that you enjoyed? And then seriously look to see if these factors can be fulfilled elsewhere, be it in the large variety of allied health professions out there (nursing, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, clinical biochemistry, lots more) or even outside of medicine.

Good luck whatever you decide.
(edited 7 years ago)
I would repeat the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nexttime
Those are not good enough for medicine. Even if there were difficult circumstances, you have not yet proven yourself capable.

Retaking the year is generally a deal-breaker for most med schools though if you did want to contact them with regards to your specific circumstance you could.

Your other options are:

1) Find out what went wrong, fix it, and work like you've never worked before this year. Then once you have your results, you can apply for medicine next year. You'll need to get at least AAA overall to stand a chance.
2) Look into foundation courses. These have various requirements that you will have to look into and/or contact them to see if you are eligible.
3) Do another degree, get a good outcome and apply for graduate entry. This is longer, more expensive (though loans are provided) and more competitive.
4) Lastly, and I think you need to spend the next few weeks giving this some serious thought, consider whether medicine is for you. Why do you like it? What was it from your work experience that you enjoyed? And then seriously look to see if these factors can be fulfilled elsewhere, be it in the large variety of allied health professions out there (nursing, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, clinical biochemistry, lots more) or even outside of medicine.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Check my quote in that other thread
Original post by Antonia Jane
I would repeat the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you do that med schools will automatically reject you. There are not many exceptions.

Quick Reply

Latest