The Student Room Group

Confusion about grade boundaries and the grades I've been given

Hey! normally wouldn't post but i'm about to ring UCAS because i'm confused slightly about my grades. I ended up with AAB which i was pretty happy with but it throws a spanner in the works a bit with medicine, and looking over my results sheet, i'm kinda suspicious, my results were:

Biology= 554/600 (A) AQA
Chemistry= 508/600 (B) OCR Salters B
Maths= 508/600 (A) OCR

what i'm confused about is biology and chemistry, working out the ums as a percentage, it looks like i got 92.3% but i would think this was an A*, idk if im just being salty, and chemistry looks like i got 79.5%, and if 80% was the cut off for an A i would want to go for remarking, do you guys think it is worth investigating, or do any of you know the exam board boundaries?
You need 270 UMS from A2 for an A*. So it's possible to have 90+% average across the entire A-level with AS being better than A2 and the A2 average being less than 90% thus not meeting the A* criteria.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
You need 270 UMS from A2 for an A*. So it's possible to have 90+% average across the entire A-level with AS being better than A2 and the A2 average being less than 90% thus not meeting the A* criteria.

yeah that makes sense now i've researched a bit thanks :smile: what im concerned about now is it looks like i'm 3 ums off an A in chemistry, so will go into my school tomorrow morning and ask about having a remark
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by buckeybarnes
Hey! normally wouldn't post but i'm about to ring UCAS because i'm confused slightly about my grades. I ended up with AAB which i was pretty happy with but it throws a spanner in the works a bit with medicine, and looking over my results sheet, i'm kinda suspicious, my results were:

Biology= 554/600 (A) AQA
Maths= 508/600 (A) OCR

what i'm confused about is biology and chemistry, working out the ums as a percentage, it looks like i got 92.3% but i would think this was an A*, idk if im just being salty, and chemistry looks like i got 79.5%, and if 80% was the cut off for an A i would want to go for remarking, do you guys think it is worth investigating, or do any of you know the exam board boundaries?

If you do have 508/600UMS then you have an A at least as you only need 480 for an A. Check your arithmetic.

Biology= 554/600 (A) AQA
Maths= 508/600 (A) OCR

Hey, I got AAB too for Med :smile:

Did you get a place in the end? If not, what were you thinking of doing now?
Original post by Compost
If you do have 508/600UMS then you have an A at least as you only need 480 for an A. Check your arithmetic.

oh yeah crap i got 477 for chemistry
Original post by cookiemonster15
Hey, I got AAB too for Med :smile:

Did you get a place in the end? If not, what were you thinking of doing now?

nah i didn't get a place, i'm now doing biomedical science at sheffield, then medicine after that hopefully :smile:
nah i didn't get a place, i'm now doing biomedical science at sheffield, then medicine after that hopefully :smile:

Ah ok, seems like a plan!
Original post by Kvothe the arcane

damn it, my luck doesn't seem to be ending! It turns out i got 266 ums for A2 biology (4 off and A*) and 477 ums for all of chemistry (3 off and A) , aaagghhhh

Quick Reply

Latest