The Student Room Group

HELP! A level RESULTS GONE WRONG

If you have the knowledge and or experience to guide me to the right way I would appreciate it.

I am new to tsr so bear with me, I need help as I messed up my A levels due to lots of health problems with anxiety and depression and pressures so much so I flopped some A level exams. I had B's/A's in AS and now have C's/D's overall (3 A levels dropped one in AS). I feel like a failure. But I will never give up hence I put my dreams of medicine/dentistry to rest and pursue a degree in biomedical sciences in order to hopefully achieve a first; through this I can go on to do a post-graduate degree in medicine. My teachers called me stupid and said I'd fail. However, I wish to redeem myself to myself if there is any hope left??? Please advice me and I don't need any of your sympathy or pity: I NEED FACTS. Truth, in one word. Can I still make my dreams come true? I would re'take A-levels however I cannot due to the fact that it is the last exams of my exam course, yes unfair I know :/. So help me!!! Not to mention I am dreading what my parents will saY <:frown:

Scroll to see replies

Time out. Time out. Literally - take some time out. I have only one question for you - why do you want to go into medicine or dentistry?

But right now, there is no rush. Take your time. You have had a shock. Right now you are in the worst state mentally to make good decisions about your immediate and medium term future. Take a few days to take it all in. But I would be interested to know what is driving you to do medicine or dentistry?

Good luck!
Reply 2
Just like ByEeek said, absolutely no rush! I was on my undergraduate with peers who were in their late 20's or even late 50's. Take a year out and re evaluate your situation, getting A-Level results you were not expecting is difficult enough as it is!
Original post by DreamchaserAwy
If you have the knowledge and or experience to guide me to the right way I would appreciate it.

I am new to tsr so bear with me, I need help as I messed up my A levels due to lots of health problems with anxiety and depression and pressures so much so I flopped some A level exams. I had B's/A's in AS and now have C's/D's overall (3 A levels dropped one in AS). I feel like a failure. But I will never give up hence I put my dreams of medicine/dentistry to rest and pursue a degree in biomedical sciences in order to hopefully achieve a first; through this I can go on to do a post-graduate degree in medicine. My teachers called me stupid and said I'd fail. However, I wish to redeem myself to myself if there is any hope left??? Please advice me and I don't need any of your sympathy or pity: I NEED FACTS. Truth, in one word. Can I still make my dreams come true? I would re'take A-levels however I cannot due to the fact that it is the last exams of my exam course, yes unfair I know :/. So help me!!! Not to mention I am dreading what my parents will saY <:frown:

Hi,
Don't worry we may be able to help! Here is a link to out biomedical sciences course http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate-course/biomedical-science-bsc/ which is available for clearing !! Our clearing hotline is
0800 0483 334 it closes a 8pm today but it open again tommorow from 8:30am- 6:30pm so give our team a ring and they will be happy to help you.

Emily
Student ambassador
Life is what YOU make of it.

Look, first thing, take a deep breath, the world is still here and you are still alive. Doing medicine or dentistry is not the be all and end all in life.

First a bit about myself...

I've always had it hard in education, I mean I've been a smart kid but luck has never really gone my way. I went from 9A*s 1 A at GCSE (back in 2008) to ACC at A2. I essentially lost my firm and my insurance and I had to go through the chaos of clearing. I too wanted to do medicine as well, but it didn't work out.I got into a university to do maths, non russell group (but hey, you do the best with the hand you dealt). Then I moved to a russell group uni to do a masters in a finance related degree and now I've just finished a first year in a PhD in Economics.

I've had so much fun these last few years playing with the financial markets, I manage £23,000 of my own money in the markets and this last month made £1,000 in profits. Now if I had gone into medicine, do you think I would have had the skills to do that. No.

Life turns out for the better. Old doors close, even better opportunities open!

So now we get to your situation, you have a few options. First ask yourself, do you really want to do medicine. Can you really work hard in the retakes, do you have the ability to understand the concepts and work under pressure. If the answer is no, then it's fine, find something else. Being a doctor is not the be all and end all.

You don't realise how much of a high I get watching the markets open, seeing all my analysis pay off. The financial markets can be some of the most exciting place to be, running on fear and greed, you see all emotions come to life.Now if you still do want to do medicine, it would be best to retake the A2 year. You will need As/Bs at a minimum to get into medicine courses as they are highly competitive.

If you are tired of the chase for medicine, you can try other careers. There is nothing stopping you going into biology, pharmacy, economics, maths or finance. The biomed option you gave is possible but it is harder to get entry onto graduate medicine and getting a first in your biomed is no guarantee.

I wish you the best of luck, sir/madam
(edited 7 years ago)
Think of a different career why dose every one want to be a doctor, there are so many career choices often better then begin a doctor. I work for the NHS as a project manager I get paid way more then the junior doctors I also work less hours to. Being a doctor is not all glamorous like so many people think it is. Its hard work long hours and low pay for whats begin asked.
Reply 7
Did you apply to apply to a University and get rejected? Have you researched any foundation courses that can lead you onto your chosen subject? You can apply to these through clearing, and you can find courses offering places on whatuni. At this point, it can be possible if you sell yourself, state the circumstances which led you to not do as well as planned and many universities will sympathise, largely those whom are not as prestigious but can still lead you to the career you want. I believe Plymouth University has many courses that may appeal to you and they accept people who do not meet the required grades! Don't give up, you can still get there!

You are not a failure. Keep in mind that you have three A levels. They may not be at the grade you were hoping for but you have three A levels. That in itself is something to be proud of.
A few years ago I found myself in a similar situation. I didn't get a place for medicine but went and did a physiology degree. The way that the degree was structured was completely different to A levels and this was, I believe, key in helping me to achieve on the course. I was never able to reconcile the fairly arbitrary nature of A levels, especially in science. It always seemed like they were testing memory and not knowledge. This changed when I did my degree and I graduated with a first (top of my class). I am now coming to the end of an MSc in Biomedicine which I will hopefully get a distinction for (research project depending) and will be applying for medicine for 2017 entry. I've done my UKCAT and it's all looking fairly good at the moment. I feel good about the confidence level I will have when making my application. Had you asked me on results day all those years ago I probably would have cried.
In terms of what you can do now: take some time and consider your options. Graduate entry medicine is more competitive than undergraduate entry due to the limited places, however, you can still apply to undergrad courses as a graduate (depending on your financial situation). Retaking your A2 year could potentially cause problems if you truly have your heart set on medicine/dentistry as there are rules about how long you have to complete A levels and whether med schools will take resit candidates. A biomedical science degree could potentially be best option for you as it may open up other medically related career paths that you hadn't previously considered. Several of my friends have decided that they prefer research and so are pursuing that instead of medicine.
No matter what you decide know that you have to do what is best for you after careful consideration of all the facts. Regarding your parents, they may be disappointed but more likely it will be because you are and no parent wants their child to feel like a failure. Speak to them about it, have an adult conversation about what you would like to do next when you have had a chance to figure a few things out.

Good luck with everything!
Original post by the IT MAN
Think of a different career why dose every one want to be a doctor, there are so many career choices often better then begin a doctor. I work for the NHS as a project manager I get paid way more then the junior doctors I also work less hours to. Being a doctor is not all glamorous like so many people think it is. Its hard work long hours and low pay for whats begin asked.

People go into medicine to help others and save lives, not to work short hours and have a 'glamorous' job.
Original post by milliemogs
People go into medicine to help others and save lives, not to work short hours and have a 'glamorous' job.

I help people who do you think designs all of the operating theaters ect. It seems all A level students who think they can get all A's want to do medicine there are so many better jobs out there. People think medicine its such a glamorous job when its not, just because you predicted a's dose not mean you make a good doctor.
I help people who do you think designs all of the operating theaters ect. It seems all A level students who think they can get all A's want to do medicine there are so many better jobs out there. People think medicine its such a glamorous job when its not, just because you predicted a's dose not mean you make a good doctor.
My job is far from glamours its highly stressful but I love it.

I don't know anyone that went into medicine thinking it would be a 'glamorous job'. Anyone who watches the news will be aware it is an extremely tough job. They do it because they want to be the ones on the front line saving lives. They are well aware there are better jobs out there, but they don't want those jobs, they want to be doctors.
Original post by milliemogs
I don't know anyone that went into medicine thinking it would be a 'glamorous job'. Anyone who watches the news will be aware it is an extremely tough job. They do it because they want to be the ones on the front line saving lives. They are well aware there are better jobs out there, but they don't want those jobs, they want to be doctors.

I know plenty of people to many people watch Holby city. We can not all becoem doctors it may be a lucky escape. If you want to help people go and work in a care home and help old people.
Original post by ByEeek
Time out. Time out. Literally - take some time out. I have only one question for you - why do you want to go into medicine or dentistry?

But right now, there is no rush. Take your time. You have had a shock. Right now you are in the worst state mentally to make good decisions about your immediate and medium term future. Take a few days to take it all in. But I would be interested to know what is driving you to do medicine or dentistry?

Good luck!

Hey there, I have always pushed myself academically ever since roughly year 9, I have always aimed to be a good student and wanted to do these subjects perhaps mainly due to social pressures becoming my own. I have may peers and relatives who I am always compared to and that in itself is enough pressure. I am taking it much better now and trying to look at the positives..
Original post by momoneyme89
Look, first thing, take a deep breath, the world is still here and you are still alive. Doing medicine or dentistry is not the be all and end all in life.

First a bit about myself...

I've always had it hard in education, I mean I've been a smart kid but luck has never really gone my way. I went from 9A*s 1 A at GCSE (back in 2008) to ACC at A2. I essentially lost my firm and my insurance and I had to go through the chaos of clearing. I too wanted to do medicine as well, but it didn't work out.I got into a university to do maths, non russell group (but hey, you do the best with the hand you dealt). Then I moved to a russell group uni to do a masters in a finance related degree and now I've just finished a first year in a PhD in Economics.

I've had so much fun these last few years playing with the financial markets, I manage £23,000 of my own money in the markets and this last month made £1,000 in profits. Now if I had gone into medicine, do you think I would have had the skills to do that. No.

Life turns out for the better. Old doors close, even better opportunities open!

So now we get to your situation, you have a few options. First ask yourself, do you really want to do medicine. Can you really work hard in the retakes, do you have the ability to understand the concepts and work under pressure. If the answer is no, then it's fine, find something else. Being a doctor is not the be all and end all.

You don't realise how much of a high I get watching the markets open, seeing all my analysis pay off. The financial markets can be some of the most exciting place to be, running on fear and greed, you see all emotions come to life.Now if you still do want to do medicine, it would be best to retake the A2 year. You will need As/Bs at a minimum to get into medicine courses as they are highly competitive.

If you are tired of the chase for medicine, you can try other careers. There is nothing stopping you going into biology, pharmacy, economics, maths or finance. The biomed option you gave is possible but it is harder to get entry onto graduate medicine and getting a first in your biomed is no guarantee.

I wish you the best of luck, sir/madam

Hey, this story was rather very uplifting and inspirational, your determination led you to successes and newly acquired skills many could only dream of. Kudos to you!!! I will reflect on this and think of possible opportunities that I can take and so on throughout my journey. Thank you! :smile:

I foremost agree that A's does not always equate to a great doctor. Many other factors come into play. Also I have begin to understood the wide spectrum of opportunities in life. I am only 18 so may be rather naive but I am willing to learn the right skills and even the right experiences. I guess success have many routes...
I would re'take A-levels however I cannot due to the fact that it is the last exams of my exam course, yes unfair I know :/. So help me!!! Not to mention I am dreading what my parents will saY <:frown:

How is it the last exams? If you are in England there are A2 resits next year.

You need to think about what you really want to do - there are other health careers other than dentistry and medicine.
Original post by Blackstarr
Life is what YOU make of it.

True, true. But expectations are haunting. But true maybe I should change some of my perspectives. If I am strong enough to go on my own I could find things to not only benefit me but others..
I would re'take A-levels however I cannot due to the fact that it is the last exams of my exam course, yes unfair I know :/. So help me!!! Not to mention I am dreading what my parents will saY <:frown:

How is it the last exams? If you are in England there are A2 resits next year.

You need to think about what you really want to do - there are other health careers other than dentistry and medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest