The Student Room Group

2016 dentistry applicants [part 2]

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Agent R5
Hey
Okay... so I just sat my UCAT and got:
VR - 470 :angry: (Had huge paragraphs and a lot of deep analysis questions)
QR - 830
AR - 640
SJT - Band 3:frown:This gives me a 650 ish average. Was aiming for around 700 but VR brought my average down completely.
Would you say this is enough to get an interview for undergraduate entry Dentistry?I'm planning on taking a gap re-applying for Dentistry again but Im not sure where I can even apply to with this score?

GCSE's : 1A* 7As 3B's (not the best but I had an interview at Leeds last year)
A levels : AAA ( hopefully so lets say I have this for the time being :h:)
I would really appreciate it if someone could help me by letting me know where I can even apply... :s-smilie:

I think I can apply to: Manchester
Glasgow
Barts
Dundee
Plymouth ( VR cut off was 480 last year:s-smilie:)
Cardiff ( Not sure on entry requirements right now)
Leeds (BMAT)

I can't apply to: Liverpool, Sheffield, Bristol because I have a B in English at GCSE

Doubt that I can apply to Newcastle or Kings because of grades but not really sure.

Any help and replies is greatly greatly appreciated as I'm in such a pickle as I really want to do Dentistry and already have done over a months work experience in a GDP, couple days in a hospital and some other useful stuff.

I would apply to plymouth, leeds, birmingham and aberdeen/cardiff/dundee.

Plymouth u should be over the threashhold for each section but u just need to hope that the VR is enough. As long as it meets the minimum and ur application is good u should get an interview.

U should plan to take the BMAT since ur ukcat is not the best. even if u dont have the best bmat score, its not the end of the world as leeds take everything into account.

with birmingham as long as u get ur A-level grades they wont take ur gcses into account too much. im not sure how they ukcat policy charged but it would be good if u give them a call.

4th choice its upto u. might want to give aberdeen a chance since they dont have a cutoff *

u want to phone them just to get advice and stuff..
Reply 2
dundee extremely competitive so good luck
Original post by Agent R5
Hey
Okay... so I just sat my UCAT and got:
VR - 470 :angry: (Had huge paragraphs and a lot of deep analysis questions)
QR - 830
AR - 640
SJT - Band 3:frown:This gives me a 650 ish average. Was aiming for around 700 but VR brought my average down completely.
Would you say this is enough to get an interview for undergraduate entry Dentistry?I'm planning on taking a gap re-applying for Dentistry again but Im not sure where I can even apply to with this score?

GCSE's : 1A* 7As 3B's (not the best but I had an interview at Leeds last year)
A levels : AAA ( hopefully so lets say I have this for the time being :h:)
I would really appreciate it if someone could help me by letting me know where I can even apply... :s-smilie:

I think I can apply to: Manchester
Glasgow
Barts
Dundee
Plymouth ( VR cut off was 480 last year:s-smilie:)
Cardiff ( Not sure on entry requirements right now)
Leeds (BMAT)

I can't apply to: Liverpool, Sheffield, Bristol because I have a B in English at GCSE

Doubt that I can apply to Newcastle or Kings because of grades but not really sure.

Any help and replies is greatly greatly appreciated as I'm in such a pickle as I really want to do Dentistry and already have done over a months work experience in a GDP, couple days in a hospital and some other useful stuff.

mate whats most important is personal statement/. i was in exact same position as you last year in terms of gcse except i had an A in english lang. that might be a problem that you have a b but god knows.

i suggest plymouth manchester leeds and the 4th is entirely up to you. probably queens belfast is your best bet if u really wanna interview
pm
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Guys, my as levels weren't too great, I mean they were good, but not enough to get predicted grades of AAA but possibly AAB. Do you think its possible to get into dentistry with AAB and a good UKCAT score?
Original post by ebxnyxo
Guys, my as levels weren't too great, I mean they were good, but not enough to get predicted grades of AAA but possibly AAB. Do you think its possible to get into dentistry with AAB and a good UKCAT score?

Nope I had aab prediction and a score of something like 670 in ukcat with all the work experience required and still got 4 rejections.What I would say is start revising now for the first modules of each a2 subject so when you get back you can get the teachers to give you a test and if you get an a they should predict you aaa

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by ebxnyxo

My predicted grades were ABB and I got through to two interviews with a high UKCAT score. My GCSE's weren't great either!
Ballsed up the interviews so ended up with 4 rejections in the end, but that's besides the point

Just apply to universities that prioritise UKCAT scores and you'll be fine (ie... not Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle)
Original post by Another
My predicted grades were ABB and I got through to two interviews with a high UKCAT score. My GCSE's weren't great either!
Ballsed up the interviews so ended up with 4 rejections in the end, but that's besides the point

Just apply to universities that prioritise UKCAT scores and you'll be fine (ie... not Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle)

I find that hard to believe did you have any extenuating circumstances or did you apply for an access scheme

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Supermanxxxxxx
I find that hard to believe did you have any extenuating circumstances or did you apply for an access scheme

Nope, none of that! (I did apply about 3 years ago though)

UKCAT: 780 QR, 710 VR, 720 AR, 720 for the other one I can't remember. I did my UKCAT the year before SJT became a thing

I got ABB at AS (plus a C grade in English, which I didn't retake), so my predicted grades were ABB. My school would not budge on this

GCSE: 4 A*, 3A, 3B, 1C

4 weeks work experience over the summer

Didn't have the best grades, so I had to apply to Unis that prioritised UKCAT score over 13 A* at GCSE

Interviews at KCL and Glasgow. I'm positive I could have gotten an interview at Plymouth too, but I hadn't put it down as a choice (mum was very against the area, no idea why :lol: )
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by ebxnyxo

I had AS grades of ABCC and I still got an interview, a offer, and now a place at Liverpool university (they don't seem to look at your AS grades). My UKCAT wasn't particularly high either but I had a strong personal statement (and my A2 grades were AAA)

So I'd recommend giving Liverpool a call :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by elm4541
I had AS grades of ABCC and I still got an interview, a offer, and now a place at Liverpool university (they don't seem to look at your AS grades). My UKCAT wasn't particularly high either but I had a strong personal statement (and my A2 grades were AAA)

So I'd recommend giving Liverpool a call :smile:

what work exp/ extra curriculars did you have to make your personal statement strong?
Reply 12
Guys, which dental unis accept re-sits?
Reply 13
Original post by AKK6199
what work exp/ extra curriculars did you have to make your personal statement strong?

I did gold DofE, a grade 8 Shakespeare exam, did lots of work experience at multiple dental practices and caring environments, had a lot of work experience as a team leader (and at a weekend job), donate to the national blood service, have been in an acting class for 6 years, and I did an EPQ on art in expression which I got an A* in. I also re-sat 4 exams which they didn't seem to mind, as long as you sit them all in the second year
Original post by HumzaAsad97

Manchester do but require A*AA
Leeds do
Plymouth do
Birmingham don't
Newcastle don't
Barts don't
pretty sure Glasgow don't

Not completely sure about the others
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Hi, I am predicted 3As at alevel and have an A at AS level. In my GCSEs I got 7A* (including Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Literature) 2A and a B (English language).
Would I be able to apply and have a chance in Birmingham or Sheffield for dentistry with a B in English language but an A* in literature?
(edited 7 years ago)

How much are you going to change your PS because I have things planned for my resit gap year but its not written in stone and I don't want to delete my already good PS with things I'm planning to do
Reply 17
Original post by gcooney4
How much are you going to change your PS because I have things planned for my resit gap year but its not written in stone and I don't want to delete my already good PS with things I'm planning to do

I'm gonna call up UCAS, cos someone told me that they plagiarise you against your own personal statement. So I wanna see what that's all about
Original post by Ariana.c
Hi, I am predicted 3As at alevel and have an A at AS level. In my GCSEs I got 7A* (including Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Literature) 2A and a B (English language).
Would I be able to apply and have a chance in Birmingham or Sheffield for dentistry with a B in English language but an A* in literature?

Sheffield will accept B but you'll need a high UKCAT score
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm gonna call up UCAS, cos someone told me that they plagiarise you against your own personal statement. So I wanna see what that's all about

Did you have any offers for Dentistry for 2016 entry? and yeah I known someone who said they got 4 straight rejections because they applied to the same medical schools again with the same p.s. but a few others have said they kept the exact same p.s. on re-applying and there was no issue

Quick Reply

Latest