The Student Room Group

Do Biomedical Science students learn about private parts.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sciencegirl122
Very awkward questions.
But results are soon and thinking of doing biomedical science however since their first year is similair to medicine students ( i heard ) i wondered do they learn about sexual organs and have to actually see pictures or actual bodies of them.
Im honestly iffy about it, im religious and dont want to study about it or see it.

Thank you so much for the help!

K

Yes you will learn about reproductive biology, yes you will see real pictures and possibly even human specimens if you go to a university which does cadaveric dissection and uses it as a tool to teach biomedical scientists.

I understand your religious and this is how you have been brought up, but you are acting like a child when you say that "private parts" in your words are disgusting and you may find it a bit iffy because you dont want to study about it or see it. Everyone is a human being and we all have a penis or vagina dependant on sex, its natural and normal and darn religion for telling you otherwise (this is why me and certain walks of religion do not see eye to eye).

I suggest you grow up and deal with it if this is the career path you choose to go down, or if you want to carry on acting like a child then get treated like one and choose another career where you can avoid these things. You really cannot be the one who at 18+ is refusing to sit in on reproductive biology because you think it is rude to see "private parts", nobody will take you seriously.
Let me get this straight - your religion is so obsessed with penises and vaginas that it deliberately and specifically ban you from even seeing a picture, even learn about them??
Reply 22
What tf religion are you that you can't see this??
Very awkward questions.
But results are soon and thinking of doing biomedical science however since their first year is similair to medicine students ( i heard ) i wondered do they learn about sexual organs and have to actually see pictures or actual bodies of them.
Im honestly iffy about it, im religious and dont want to study about it or see it.

Thank you so much for the help!

K

Why does being religious stop you from seeing body parts, that's not really a valid reason. How do all the christian/muslim/jewish students in this country and others learn about the reproductive system? They don't just chat about it.

Discarding the non-sensical religious reason, you just need to stomach up, what is, in actuality, nothing major. If it's beyond you, don't do anything medical related.
Reply 24
I had a housemate who was a christian and asexual who was actively repulsed by all genitalia and nakedness (I once saw him physically recoil from a naked breast), and he seemed to cope okay with the content of his course. Bmedsci has a lot of labwork and biochem compared to a medical degree, and depending on your module choices there's no reason why reproductive systems should be a major focus of your studies at all. If it's what you want to do, go for it.
Original post by nexttime
Let me get this straight - your religion is so obsessed with penises and vaginas that it deliberately and specifically ban you from even seeing a picture, even learn about them??

no maybe I havent seen one and made feel like a big taboo, sorry i wasnt a promisicious hs student jesus, ill think twice before asking for advice and this website. ppl thinking theyre so darn good for being able to say the word vagina.
get a life
Original post by Natalierm2707
Yes you will learn about reproductive biology, yes you will see real pictures and possibly even human specimens if you go to a university which does cadaveric dissection and uses it as a tool to teach biomedical scientists.

I understand your religious and this is how you have been brought up, but you are acting like a child when you say that "private parts" in your words are disgusting and you may find it a bit iffy because you dont want to study about it or see it. Everyone is a human being and we all have a penis or vagina dependant on sex, its natural and normal and darn religion for telling you otherwise (this is why me and certain walks of religion do not see eye to eye).

I suggest you grow up and deal with it if this is the career path you choose to go down, or if you want to carry on acting like a child then get treated like one and choose another career where you can avoid these things. You really cannot be the one who at 18+ is refusing to sit in on reproductive biology because you think it is rude to see "private parts", nobody will take you seriously.

Thanks for the info and dont be so damn quicj to judge, i dont think ill get away with saying penis or vagina now will I?
sexual organs is a description I havent really thought of, I tried to be clean incase it gets reported or censored.
dont think youre so great for being able to sayvagina and penis, want an applause?
thank you bye
Original post by Ghotay
I had a housemate who was a christian and asexual who was actively repulsed by all genitalia and nakedness (I once saw him physically recoil from a naked breast), and he seemed to cope okay with the content of his course. Bmedsci has a lot of labwork and biochem compared to a medical degree, and depending on your module choices there's no reason why reproductive systems should be a major focus of your studies at all. If it's what you want to do, go for it.

Thank you so much for a sincere answer, people on here only called me immature.
I was genuinely curious and wanted to know this before pursuing something I woulndt be interested in.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Why does being religious stop you from seeing body parts, that's not really a valid reason. How do all the christian/muslim/jewish students in this country and others learn about the reproductive system? They don't just chat about it.

Discarding the non-sensical religious reason, you just need to stomach up, what is, in actuality, nothing major. If it's beyond you, don't do anything medical related.

did u answer my question? no
no maybe I havent seen one and made feel like a big taboo, sorry i wasnt a promisicious hs student jesus, ill think twice before asking for advice and this website. ppl thinking theyre so darn good for being able to say the word vagina.
get a life

We're pushing you to not make your life choices based on stupid reasons. We're being blunt - apologies - but those who really don't care are the ones who have not responded.

You will one day, most likely, have sex. At some point you will probably push a baby or two out of your vagina then proceed to clean piss and **** off of its sexual organs multiple times a day for years. To allow even seeing pictures of these organs to change your life very much is stupid, sorry to break it to you.
you should be ashamed of your self not telling people to 'get a life' @sciencegirl122

your immaturity has nothing to do with religion, you're simply using it as an excuse because you have no other excuse, because there should't be any
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
We're pushing you to not make your life choices based on stupid reasons. We're being blunt - apologies - but those who really don't care are the ones who have not responded.

You will one day, most likely, have sex. At some point you will probably push a baby or two out of your vagina then proceed to clean piss and **** off of its sexual organs multiple times a day for years. To allow even seeing pictures of these organs to change your life very much is stupid, sorry to break it to you.

this is abit to graphic for her lol
Reply 32
Thanks for the info and dont be so damn quicj to judge, i dont think ill get away with saying penis or vagina now will I?
sexual organs is a description I havent really thought of, I tried to be clean incase it gets reported or censored.
dont think youre so great for being able to sayvagina and penis, want an applause?
thank you bye

There's nothing wrong with saying the words vagina or penis. It isn't cool. It doesn't make you great. It's not against any rules because they're not bad words. It wouldn't be censored. They're just words. Which refer to a part of you. Like your head. Your nose. Your eyes. Your legs.

Being religious has no bearing on being able to say those words. Nor does it have any implications on studying those parts academically/professionally as part of your course and career development.

Your issues from saying those words or seeing/studying the human body are simply that. Your issues. Not religious. Prudish.

The reason people are outraged and have said what they have is not because they're judging you. It's because it's behaviour you expect from a child. As you grow up, your behaviour is expected to change. You become an adult. With rational adult thoughts. Maybe a degree course with the things you seem to fear will help you to get over these irrational thoughts and move forward!
did u answer my question? no

I think I did, read harder.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending