The Student Room Group

A level disappointment - any help would be appreciated

Basically i was predicted AABC for AS this year and i got CDDD which im gutted about. I don't know where i went wrong with this. I have dropped Maths this morning and continuing with Bio Chem Physics. Is there anything i can do help myself. I feel broken from the inside and hopeless. Any advice would be helpful. i believe i may have overloaded by myself this year with 4 subjects so im aware of that. I just don't see where my ship fell apart. I was doing well in mocks getting As and Bs in bio chem etc. I have no clue what to now....some one pls help. my parents are abroad and i have no one to talk to
Hey, I'm really sorry that you're disappointed with your results :console: I'm here and my inbox is always open if you'd like to vent. It is a real shame that you didn't do as well as you'd hoped, but could you possibly learn from this experience to find out how you can improve next year? Were you revising efficiently? Could you try out some new techniques next year?

Depending on what you were hoping to apply to and whether they'll accept you with the predicted grades you're likely to get (around BCC), instead of continuing to A2 next year, might you consider redoing year 12 instead? Up to you of course, but it's just an idea.

Again, really sorry that this has happened and that you have nobody at home to talk to about it. I hope you feel better soon :smile:
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Hey, I'm really sorry that you're disappointed with your results :console: I'm here and my inbox is always open if you'd like to vent. It is a real shame that you didn't do as well as you'd hoped, but could you possibly learn from this experience to find out how you can improve next year? Were you revising efficiently? Could you try out some new techniques next year?

Depending on what you were hoping to apply to and whether they'll accept you with the predicted grades you're likely to get (around BCC), instead of continuing to A2 next year, might you consider redoing year 12 instead? Up to you of course, but it's just an idea.

Again, really sorry that this has happened and that you have nobody at home to talk to about it. I hope you feel better soon :smile:

All my subjects are new spec do you really think its worth doing year 12 again? I mean i can improve next year. Also would it be advisable to enter differed entry this year for lets say biomed or something? also i am not exactly sure what differed entry is and what pros and cons it has. Any help would be appreciated
Original post by jayeshforce1
All my subjects are new spec do you really think its worth doing year 12 again? I mean i can improve next year. Also would it be advisable to enter differed entry this year for lets say biomed or something? also i am not exactly sure what differed entry is and what pros and cons it has. Any help would be appreciated

Resitting year 12 may be a viable option. I'm not saying it's necessarily the best thing to do, just that it's an option that would enable you to apply with better predicted grades.

You won't be able to 'enter' deferred entry biomed this year. Firstly because biomed has higher entry requirements than what you'll be predicted unfortunately, and because you need to complete sixth form first. Deferred entry means that you apply one year for entry one year later than usual (e.g. apply in 2017 for entry in 2018), so that you can take a gap year. To do this however you apply the same way as everyone else; with your predicted grades, and you'll be expected to achieve them by results day of that application cycle. You don't get an additional year to get the grades that way, so applying for deferred entry won't help your predicament I'm afraid.
Resitting year 12 may be a viable option. I'm not saying it's necessarily the best thing to do, just that it's an option that would enable you to apply with better predicted grades.

You won't be able to 'enter' deferred entry biomed this year. Firstly because biomed has higher entry requirements than what you'll be predicted unfortunately, and because you need to complete sixth form first. Deferred entry means that you apply one year for entry one year later than usual (e.g. apply in 2017 for entry in 2018), so that you can take a gap year. To do this however you apply the same way as everyone else; with your predicted grades, and you'll be expected to achieve them by results day of that application cycle. You don't get an additional year to get the grades that way, so applying for deferred entry won't help your predicament I'm afraid.

my bio and chem teachers said they will predict me A's max as they know i work hard and my physics teacher said B max. i believe i can turn things around i done it for GCSE's although its not the same ball game however i guess i have evolved with it. I do feel pretty confident about those predictions being achievable. Besides i am also no longer suffering with depression and all so i think i can honestly turn this around next year. I know it would be hard for you to answer. but do you think overall it is possible to turn things around? and should i carry on with A2? because i know my content inside out just the exam techniques i struggled with i just realised reflecting on it.
Original post by jayeshforce1
my bio and chem teachers said they will predict me A's max as they know i work hard and my physics teacher said B max. i believe i can turn things around i done it for GCSE's although its not the same ball game however i guess i have evolved with it. I do feel pretty confident about those predictions being achievable. Besides i am also no longer suffering with depression and all so i think i can honestly turn this around next year. I know it would be hard for you to answer. but do you think overall it is possible to turn things around? and should i carry on with A2? because i know my content inside out just the exam techniques i struggled with i just realised reflecting on it.

It's honestly up to you. If your subjects are on the new spec so that AS doesn't count towards your final A level grade then you may as well continue.
It's honestly up to you. If your subjects are on the new spec so that AS doesn't count towards your final A level grade then you may as well continue.

Yes they are all new spec so they don't count towards A2. I may decide to resit 2 maths module to hopefully boost D to B. would it be worth resiting those modules? Because edexcel maths is not reformed yet so is therefore still modular. or should i just forget about it and focus on A2?
Honestly, I felt the same way as you seeing my AS results, and I thought I would do better! Just stay positive and remember that this doesn't define you. I'm sure you are a really intelligent and capable person, hence why you are so upset. I would consider resitting year 12 as sooooo many uni's don't dislike resitters. For example, Loughborough are pretty chill when it comes to that. If you resit more university options will be open to you than if you chose not to, and you can spend an extra year building about your PS even more with new extra-curricular activities.

I hope this helps, and don't feel bad. I, and sooo many other people, are in the same position as you.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest