The Student Room Group

Do universities care about my dropped E grade?

Hi!
I got my AS results today
I want to drop Law because I got an E (C & U I am so disappointed)
1 mark off an A in psychology I want a remark
A in sociology
2 marks off a B in English I want a remark
My personal statement is based on psychology at the moment, but I am still deciding between Sociology, Anthropology and Psychology
Should I be worried with universities seeing my E grade?
Law isnt really related to my social sciences area but its still worrying me
Should I be worried?
Reply 1
Original post by ha108
Hi!
I got my AS results today
I want to drop Law because I got an E (C & U I am so disappointed)
1 mark off an A in psychology I want a remark
A in sociology
2 marks off a B in English I want a remark
My personal statement is based on psychology at the moment, but I am still deciding between Sociology, Anthropology and Psychology
Should I be worried with universities seeing my E grade?
Law isnt really related to my social sciences area but its still worrying me
Should I be worried?

Not really. As long as you are realistic about the unis you apply to ( ie. not Oxbridge or other super competitive unis) they wont care too much at all.
Reply 2
Original post by Old Mum
Not really. As long as you are realistic about the unis you apply to ( ie. not Oxbridge or other super competitive unis) they wont care too much at all.

what about southampton or warwick? I would like to go to russel group or a uni in top 20/30
Reply 3
Original post by ha108
what about southampton or warwick? I would like to go to russel group or a uni in top 20/30

Yes, absolutely. Warwick admissions people, for example, go round schools giving presentations on what you have to put in your personal statement, how particular they are etc..... but they are notorious for firing off offers very indiscriminately (sometimes within a couple of hours of submitting your UCAS form). My friends daughter applied ( madly) for Warwick/ Biological Sciences and go their standard offer of ABB - even though she got AS results of BCEU and had bribed the teachers to give her predicted grades of BBC - still below the offer! At my son's offer holder day there ( for Physics), the Admissions tutor admitted that they dont even read the personal statements - they just fire off the standard offers and know statistically they will be ok as so many people don't meet the offer - and even then they let in about 20% of their firmed offers with a slipped grade.

You will have no problem getting offers from a Top 20/30 unis - just be wise and select a range of unis with varying standard offers. You will be applying before you have your mock results and you dont really know how things will go - you dont need to firm your choices until after Easter - leave it till the last minute to make it as realistic as possible. My son got high A grades in his AS levels - but got A*/D/E in his A2 mocks - he pulled himself up enough to get A*AB today - but it really took the pressure off to have left deciding on his choices until later - and to have put in some lower ranked Russell Groups at ABB standard offer.

I would also advise looking at the Which?Uni website as they tell you the percentage of people applying who get offers for any course (so you can see which unis are fussier than others) and to remember that most RG unis (except the very top few) allow one grade slippage on their standard offer.
Reply 4
Original post by Old Mum
Yes, absolutely. Warwick admissions people, for example, go round schools giving presentations on what you have to put in your personal statement, how particular they are etc..... but they are notorious for firing off offers very indiscriminately (sometimes within a couple of hours of submitting your UCAS form). My friends daughter applied ( madly) for Warwick/ Biological Sciences and go their standard offer of ABB - even though she got AS results of BCEU and had bribed the teachers to give her predicted grades of BBC - still below the offer! At my son's offer holder day there ( for Physics), the Admissions tutor admitted that they dont even read the personal statements - they just fire off the standard offers and know statistically they will be ok as so many people don't meet the offer - and even then they let in about 20% of their firmed offers with a slipped grade.

You will have no problem getting offers from a Top 20/30 unis - just be wise and select a range of unis with varying standard offers. You will be applying before you have your mock results and you dont really know how things will go - you dont need to firm your choices until after Easter - leave it till the last minute to make it as realistic as possible. My son got high A grades in his AS levels - but got A*/D/E in his A2 mocks - he pulled himself up enough to get A*AB today - but it really took the pressure off to have left deciding on his choices until later - and to have put in some lower ranked Russell Groups at ABB standard offer.

I would also advise looking at the Which?Uni website as they tell you the percentage of people applying who get offers for any course (so you can see which unis are fussier than others) and to remember that most RG unis (except the very top few) allow one grade slippage on their standard offer.

thank you so much! congrats to your son too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest