The Student Room Group

6 months post break up, feeling lost and sad. Help

Hi everyone

I went through a bad breakup 6 months ago. She moved on very quickly and completely removed me from her life and said she was happy without me in her life. That tore me apart. The first few months I was struggling a lot, I think I was suffering from anxiety and depression because of the break up.

I started seeing a therapist and slowly, I got better and was able to live my life again and not sit in my room all day feeling depressed.

During the first few months I begged her, contacted her at every chance I got, etc, etc and really made a fool out of myself. (I regret all this now)

But I have been on NO CONTACT for almost 2 months now and I changed my number, etc, just to get a fresh start and stuff.

Now I still think about her every day, but I usually just shake it off and do something else whenever a thought of her occurs, but sometimes I feel really sad about it and I still really miss her.

The whole break up has really taught me a lot and made me realise my mistakes as well as hers when we were together, and I wish we could have another chance but we can't and she is now just a memory.

The last few days I have been feeling more sad and upset than usual, and I have been thinking about her a lot.

I am trying to keep myself busy by working, going to the gym, hanging out with friends, do various activities, etc, but I still manage to think of her and it just upsets me.

How did you guys feel around 6 months after a break up? This was my first break up and it tore me apart. I am thankfully getting back to "normal" but the break up really damaged me and put me through hell.

Any advice would be appreciated.
It really does just take time. Things get better as the months progress. You've done the right things, so keep doing them, but give yourself a little credit for the effort you've made to move on. Be patient with yourself, FEEL the emotions (IE. Grieve), and in due time you'll be as good as new and ready for someone else.

How long were you together?
Healing takes time, it's a natural process. ☺️
Let me know if I can do anything to help. 👍🏼
Reply 3
I'm going through the same sort of thing, eight months post break-up. Everyone's tired of hearing me talk about him, and he said he's dating someone.
I've been on dates, but I don't feel anything for anyone else. It seems to be getting easier though, at last. It's just now and again that it hits me.
People don't all heal at the same rate. What you're feeling is completely normal, and you've made it through six months already - you can get through this :smile:
Reply 4
In my experience 6 months is not enough to get over a serious break up and particularly if you haven't found a new love interest. You might accepted its over on this timing but still regularly feel nostalgia. The only cure is the distraction of work, hobbies, new pursuits and ultimately find someone else. And you're right I think girls are able to move on extremely quickly.
Reply 5
Original post by Zarek
And you're right I think girls are able to move on extremely quickly.

There's variation in both genders, tbf :wink:
It does get better. I was with someone on and off for 4 years, and have been in no contact for nearly one and a half years and every now and then nostalgia gets me down etc, but it will stop hurting :smile:
Reply 7
Yes ok. That's what my therapist said too, that I'm grieving. We were together for almost 3 years.

I hope so.
Reply 8
Original post by Ezme39
I'm going through the same sort of thing, eight months post break-up. Everyone's tired of hearing me talk about him, and he said he's dating someone.
I've been on dates, but I don't feel anything for anyone else. It seems to be getting easier though, at last. It's just now and again that it hits me.
People don't all heal at the same rate. What you're feeling is completely normal, and you've made it through six months already - you can get through this :smile:

I understand. I don't really talk about her to friends or family anymore too as I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing about it. It has gotten easier though compared to a couple of months ago (they were horrible times).

I agree with you, it hits me too now and again. I also feel various emotions, sometimes sadness, sometimes anger towards her.

Hopefully I'll get through this soon. Hope you do too.
Reply 9
Original post by Zarek
In my experience 6 months is not enough to get over a serious break up and particularly if you haven't found a new love interest. You might accepted its over on this timing but still regularly feel nostalgia. The only cure is the distraction of work, hobbies, new pursuits and ultimately find someone else. And you're right I think girls are able to move on extremely quickly.

I agree, I felt like I would need years to get over this. Yes, I haven't found any other love interest, so that doesn't help either. Yes definitely, nostalgia hits me a lot. I am trying my best to keep myself occupied but still find myself thinking of her a lot.

I agree, they somehow manage to move on so quickly :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending