The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Official imperial college london 2017 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingYusHalo
Hi guys and gals!
I've decided to start up this thread as I didn't seem to find any.

State your:
-intended subject
-GCSE/IGCSE grades
-AS-level(predicted/actual)
-A-level(predicted/actual)
-Extracurriculars

I know it's a bit early but good luck!!!

Chemical Engineering
GCSE: 2A* 6A 2B (not great:frown:)
AS(predicted): AAA (maths Chem biology)
A2(hoping for): A*A*A
extracurricular: Maths mentor for post-16 students for a year, volunteer in a café in a hospital, homework helper in local library, captained secondary school cricket team, attended Chem Eng. lectures at Uni of notts&sheffield...

What else should I include in my personal statement? I've done a load of extra reading if that helps:tongue: And are my gcse's good enough, and will I be disadvantaged with only studying 3 Alevels?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by OGFakiie
Chemical Engineering
GCSE: 2A* 6A 2B (not great:frown:)
AS(predicted): AAA (maths Chem biology)
A2(hoping for): A*A*A
extracurricular: Maths mentor for post-16 students for a year, volunteer in a café in a hospital, homework helper in local library, captained secondary school cricket team, attended Chem Eng. lectures at Uni of notts&sheffield...

What else should I include in my personal statement? I've done a load of extra reading if that helps:tongue: And are my gcse's good enough, and will I be disadvantaged with only studying 3 Alevels?

Chill out about your GCSEs. Your AS-Levels will practically override them. I'm applying with worse GCSEs than you.
Original post by ertzgrand
IGCSE: A* As and a b in english. I don't remember exactly but i think they were like half A* and half A.
AS: AAAAB (AA)? Doing maths chemistry physics biology and the b for global perspectives (didn't really care). The other 2 As are for further maths which i will be doing next year and spanish for which i will be doing the whole a level but i don't think it will count towards uni entrance as i'm spanish.
A2s: Don't know yet but probably A*A*A (A*) with the A in chemistry and the extra A* for spanish and the other 2 A*s for physics and maths. This are my predictions being realistic i think.
Extracurricular: eh.... I play football and chess and i used to do karate... Nah i'm kidding. I guess i have no relevant experience apart from a one week work experience in an engineering company.. but i didn't really do anything
Btw does imperial require you to do step mat or pat for engineering?
PS: i'm still unsure where to apply to. Judging by my grades do you think a stand a chance of getting into imperial?

If you don't mind me asking, where did you do your engineering work experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by leopard923
If you don't mind me asking, where did you do your engineering work experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In a small local engineering company in Spain. My school organised it.
Original post by ertzgrand
In a small local engineering company in Spain. My school organised it.

Ahh ok :smile: my school would never do that lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Looking to study Chemistry

Gcses 10 A's & 1 B
As results, 4 As in maths, chemistry, physics and economics.

Not sure whether to just take 4 A levels or continue with 3. Will I get in with these grades ??
Original post by Ebb1
Looking to study Chemistry

Gcses 10 A's & 1 B
As results, 4 As in maths, chemistry, physics and economics.

Not sure whether to just take 4 A levels or continue with 3. Will I get in with these grades ??

My GCSEs are very similar to yours: 1A*, Distinction* (BTEC), 8As and B. I'm going for CompSci.

I was watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIb25lj3quw . She says at 9:44, "that while GCSEs are not taken into consideration in the decision making process, they are stated on your application form, so an admissions tutor will look at these." I have no idea what that is meant to mean. LOL.
(edited 7 years ago)
I got AA maths physics b chem c bio. Ill try to get a bio remark for a b but ill drop it. My predictions will be anything between A*AB and A*A*A:frown:. What sorta chances am i looking at for imperial materials? I already screwed up cambridge due to poor chemistry ums because i got high As in maths and physics.
Intended subject: Physics

GCSE's: 4A* 5A 2B 1C

AS-level: AAAAB in maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, and business studies

A-levels(already got): A*A A Maths, physics and chemistry respectively.

A-levels still to do:Further maths, no prediction as I'm doing it myself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Glavien
Intended subject: Physics

GCSE's: 4A* 5A 2B 1C

AS-level: AAAAB in maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, and business studies

A-levels(already got): A*A A Maths, physics and chemistry respectively.

A-levels still to do:Further maths, no prediction as I'm doing it myself.

I am quite curious to know why you took Business studies in AS
Original post by KingYusHalo
I am quite curious to know why you took Business studies in AS

I thought I would've enjoyed it but it was boring so I dropped it. How we're your AS results?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Intended subject: Computer Science

IGCSE(CIE): 5A* 6A

AS-level: AAB in maths, further maths and classics (will be dropping this one :biggrin:)

A-level(predicted): A*A*A* in maths, further maths and physics

A-level(what I think I might get): A*AA

Extracurriculars: Multiple hackathons, app developer (made apps for companies), web developer (made a couple but none were as successful as my apps) and I've read a few CompSci books.

Anyone else planning on CompSci? :smile:
Original post by TiernanW
Intended Subject: Computing (Games, Vision and Interaction)
GCSE: 1A*, 8A, 1B and a Distinction* (BTEC IT)
Predicted AS: AAAAA (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Biology, Software Systems Development)
Predicted A2: Haven't a clue. From NI so we still do the old AS that contributes to the A2.
Extra-Curricular (inc. outside school): Developing a video-game in Unreal Engine 4. Ran a web hosting business. Ran a fan-site that's in the credits of the Tomb Raider game. Ran lots of websites in general. Young Enterprise. Mentored GCSE students struggling with Python. Elected as a prefect.

Anyone else applying for Computing? I'd really be interested to see what I'm up against, and if I may go cower in a corner and cry. Hahaha. :tongue:

Hey lol, you have amazing extra curricular, I'm applying for Imperial too!! :biggrin:
Original post by ArafatQ
Hey lol, you have amazing extra curricular, I'm applying for Imperial too!! :biggrin:

Thank you! :smile:

You've amazing extra-curricular and GCSE LOL. :smile:

I made a thread for 2017 Computing applicants.
Original post by Agent4t7
Do I have any chance of getting into Imperial for material science with my currunt AS grades? (minimum grade requirements A*AA on website)

GCSE grades: 2A* 5A 1B

AS grades (Actual): BBBB in Physics, Chemistry, Math and
geography with A grade predicted in EPQ.

A2 predictions: A*AA in Math, Physics and Chemistry respectively

Extracurricular: Attended lectures at the institute of mechanical engineers.
Been to talks at Westminister school on Quantum physics.
Completed MOOCS online.
Community Service.

Thanks in advance.

I'm confused as to how could can be predicted an A* at A2 Level with an B at AS. To get an A* you need to achieve an 80%+ average across your AS units, and a 90%+ average across the A2 units. If you have a B, you can't have 80%+ in your AS.

Imperial ask for A*AA as a standard offer. But how are you going to get that A* unless you are repeating?
I'm retaking C1 and C2 modules

I would be doubtful of gaining a place. You have a chance, but its not a very big one. I'm applying with AAAAA at AS, and most people will have AAA or AAAA at AS.

Though, I am not an admissions tutor. Perhaps you could even contact Imperial to ask if they think it would be worth an application.
Do I have any chance of getting into Imperial for material science with my currunt AS grades? (minimum grade requirements A*AA on website)

GCSE grades: 2A* 5A 1B

AS grades (Actual): BBBB in Physics, Chemistry, Math and
geography with A grade predicted in EPQ.

A2 predictions: A*AA in Math, Physics and Chemistry respectively

Extracurricular: Attended lectures at the institute of mechanical engineers.
Been to talks at Westminister school on Quantum physics.
Completed MOOCS online.
Community Service.

Thanks in advance.

If you're planning to retake some maths modules then the A* prediction can be justified in your teacher reference. Imperial is very competitive and, though their website says otherwise, they tend to give offers that are higher than the standard entry requirements. For example, I applied for chemistry and the standard entry requirements are AAA. My offer was A*A*A, some people had A*A*A* and A*A*AA offers (I had AAAAA at AS)- though it does seem that they've let quite a few people who just missed their offers (myself included) in this year. You're welcome to try of course, especially since you've got 5 choices - you can afford to have one 'ambitious' choice - I recommend applying for 3 choices that are within your predicted grades - so AAA/AAB, one choice that is higher (this could be Imperial), and one that is lower just in case e.g. ABB/BBB.

Don't feel discouraged by this though; grades aren't the only thing they look at- you've got your personal statement to show how passionate you are about your subject, and you might get called for an interview (and if that goes well you're in a really good position). You've got a chance! Good luck :smile:
Original post by TiernanW
I'm confused as to how could can be predicted an A* at A2 Level with an B at AS. To get an A* you need to achieve an 80%+ average across your AS units, and a 90%+ average across the A2 units. If you have a B, you can't have 80%+ in your AS.

Incorrect. "[To get an A*], candidates must get a grade A on the A Level overall and achieve at least 90% of the UMS on the core A2 units combined(units C3 and C4)." (source)

Therefore, even if you scraped a B at AS with 210 UMS, you could still get an A* if you got 90 UMS in each of your A2 modules.
(edited 7 years ago)
Intended Subject: Electrical and electronic engineering (EEE course possibly)

IGCSE grades: 7A*, 1A

AS-level (actual): 5As

A-level (predicted): 4A*, 1A

Extracurriculars: Work experience at various labs; rowing; independent construction of an encryption machine

How worried are you guys about your applications?
Ok,
Intended subject Physics With Theoretical Physics
GCSE's; 2A's 7B's 1C
AS predictions; 3D's 1C (thanks gcse's)
Actual results; Physics A, Maths A, Chemistry B (1 mark off an A so getting it remarked), Classical Civilisation C
A level predictions - not yet available

So my question is, what kind of A level results will i need to balance out my average GCSE grades?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending