The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Watawata
Thanks for such a quick reply!

Just one last question: on the section "Information for applicants from Portugal" on Cambridge's website, under "Entry requirements", it says "Typical offers for applicants taking the Diploma de Ensino Secundário / Certificado de fim de Estudios Secundários with a minimum score of 18.0 in all subjects (...) ".

Just to be sure, does this refer to individual subject scores (as in 18 or above on every subject), or to the average score across all subjects? If it is the first, then I wouldn't qualify.

Sorry for making so many questions and thanks again!

On that reading I think it means in each individual subject I'm afraid. Colleges have a certain amount of flexibility, however, to interpret these things.
Reply 441
Hi,

I have 10 A*'s and an A at GCSE level. I have achieved 3 A's (English literature, history and geography) and one B (music) in my AS level results this morning. Am I still able to make a competitive application to study English despite the B in music? I have been told that music is seen as a notoriously difficult subject to achieve high grades at A level but am unsure of how true this is.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by laura_j
Hi,

I have 10 A*'s and an A at GCSE level. I have achieved 3 A's (English literature, history and geography) and one B (music) in my AS level results this morning. Am I still able to make a competitive application to study English despite the B in music? I have been told that music is seen as a notoriously difficult subject to achieve high grades at A level but am unsure of how true this is.

Thanks in advance.

Hello and thanks very much for your question. The B in Music is not going to prevent you from making a competitive application. You have As in the three good subjects and that will make you a decent candidate for English regardless of music. Best of luck. :smile:
Hello, I have received AS results for Maths and Further Maths, and I am wondering if they would help to make a competitive application to read economics.
C1, C2, C3 - 100
Further Pure 1 - 91
Mechanics 1 - 96
Statistics 1 - 94
Decision 1 - 98

I am slightly concerned about the statistics result, given that the economics tripos was described as being applied statistics. Should I be considering a resit? I am planning to take S2 and S3 this year.

I apologise if this query is too specific.
Original post by tempora_mutantur
Hello, I have received AS results for Maths and Further Maths, and I am wondering if they would help to make a competitive application to read economics.
C1, C2, C3 - 100
Further Pure 1 - 91
Mechanics 1 - 96
Statistics 1 - 94
Decision 1 - 98

I am slightly concerned about the statistics result, given that the economics tripos was described as being applied statistics. Should I be considering a resit? I am planning to take S2 and S3 this year.

I apologise if this query is too specific.

Is there a typo in your "Statistics 1 - 94" (e.g. did mean 84 or 74)? If you did get 94, there is definitely no need to worry (and S1 isn't really proper stats anyway).
Original post by sweeneyrod
Is there a typo in your "Statistics 1 - 94" (e.g. did mean 84 or 74)? If you did get 94, there is definitely no need to worry (and S1 isn't really proper stats anyway).

No, it isn't a typo. I was just aware that it was less than 95.

Thank you.
Hello and thankyou for helping answer so many questions! The info here has been an invaluable addition.

I was hoping to apply for Econ @Cambridge and just got my AS results. I was hoping you could give me a bit of advice on this

AS - 5A's // My only topic of concern are my Mech and FP1 Modules in which I scored 75 each. My other modules /C1-96/C2-99/S1-91/S2-88/ are all okay.

Do you think my M1/FP1 modules will be a significant disadvantage and also which subject would be the most appropriate to drop.

Thankyou!
(edited 7 years ago)
I averaged only 90 ums in maths, should I plan to retake my lowest scoring module for an application to do medicine? 77-ums in S1
Original post by tempora_mutantur
No, it isn't a typo. I was just aware that it was less than 95.

Thank you.

There is no criteria anywhere to have a minimum 95 UMS, either as an average or in any module.

(Sorry I know this is the AT's thread but this is the 2nd time today I've seen this being stated and it triggers me... :wink: )
I got 86UMS in AS Further maths (M1: 96, FP1: 89, M2: 73) which although is not terrible, it is on the low side of Cambridge. However, I am applying for Philosophy, which is relatively unrelated to FM and many applicants will not do this subject. Will I be at a disadvantage for this?
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello everyone and welcome to a new Ask an Admissions Tutor thread, back for its fourth year.

Dr Spencer, can I just give you an "official" thank you so much, for being around and available and active today. It really makes a difference to have actual Cambridge staff participating and assisting stressed applicants. And makes the job of TSR STs and SLs so much easier.

Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think your UMS is a problem. It's very strong in English and consistent and while it's a bit up and down elsewhere there is plenty of evidence of strong performance. With a good performance in the other parts of the application, there's no reason why we couldn't accept you.

Thank you for your reply. I sat my GCSEs in June 2012 and got A*A*A*AAAAAB. In light of my completed A Levels in 2014, would they play an important part in determining admission? I'm not sure how I leapt from a B in GCSE History to an A* at A Level, but I guess I am a late bloomer.
Thanks a lot for your answers and help.

Kind of unrelated, but I don't want to miss the chance of asking. Any insight on tuition fee loans for EU students applying for 2017/2018 entry? I'm kind of worried these will be discontinued; I imagine there are no definitive answers yet (I read somewhere an announcement about this was to be made in early September), but even an educated guess would be nice, if at all possible, since I have to decide between enrolling in university in my home country for this year or waiting to apply to the UK.
Hello,

I got AAAAA [5 A's] in maths, further maths, physics ,chemistry and biology but harbouring the hardest A levels came at a price. it pulled down my maths/FM average to 90.67 maths 297/300 and FM 247/300.
maths is fine but FM was disappointing and all due to 1 module FP1 68/100 does this kill my chances and does it help that FM was self thought?
Original post by Watawata
Thanks a lot for your answers and help.

Kind of unrelated, but I don't want to miss the chance of asking. Any insight on tuition fee loans for EU students applying for 2017/2018 entry? I'm kind of worried these will be discontinued; I imagine there are no definitive answers yet (I read somewhere an announcement about this was to be made in early September), but even an educated guess would be nice, if at all possible, since I have to decide between enrolling in university in my home country for this year or waiting to apply to the UK.

No one can say, it's part of the political process. BUT it's very likely it will remain the same for students starting in Oct 2017.

And Cambridge have announced this for fees
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/finance/tuition-fees
Got AAB in Physics/Comp Sci the B in maths (C1-62 Will retake C2-89 D1-74) I'm doing AS FM next year and I'm debating self teaching A2 FM I'm still really not sure whether I want to do Engineering or Maths... Seriously debating quitting my job to give me more time (Was working 14 hours a week this year) I only have one chance to get into a top uni like Cambridge and I don't think I'll be able to live with myself I end next year with any regrets. Am I being stupid?
How do Cambridge treat extra general subjects like EPQ, Critical Thinking etc. I did Global Perspectives Pre U and got an M1 (equivalent to a B). I would usually think a B isn't very good for Cambridge but because it's not one of my 4 A Levels does it really matter? I will be applying economics if that makes a difference.

Can I get an interview (and chance of a place) without having predicted grades matching the entry requirements?
Hi, i just recieved my results and i got an a* in maths and 3 a's in AS physics, economics and maths. My maths UMS scores are over 95% excluding m2 which i got a B in. i plan to do economics , will this disadvantage my application significanly?
Original post by champ_mc99
Can I get an interview (and chance of a place) without having predicted grades matching the entry requirements?

Yes. Although it'll obviously depend on how big the discrepancy is and the teachers reference; they do take predicted grades with a hefty pinch of salt.

Latest

Trending

Trending