The Student Room Group

Forced to leave the sixth form?

Has anyone been removed from their sixth form or college? I heard about this at my school.
Reply 1
Original post by Lockton
Has anyone been removed from their sixth form or college? I heard about this at my school.

For bad results of course!
Original post by Lockton

If you're a U grade extraordinaire, then yes.
Reply 3
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
If you're a U grade extraordinaire, then yes.

Yeah, that's was I heard. Luckily for myself this was not the case!
My schools sixth form is notorious for kicking people out on a-level results day. Last year was a record with 20-25 people being forced to leave, out of about 90 students; though it is less than 15 people this year as far as I know :smile:

My sixth form will also use this opportunity to kick out people who they are not too fond of, even if they have perfectly reasonable grades eg BBBCD. Not particularly fair but I will applaud them for being resilient with the rules :P I must admit the largest casualty has been to boys to moved to our sixth form (all girls in the lower school) as they generally aren't as well behaved or dedicated as people who've attended the school for 5+ years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Abby3112
My schools sixth form is notorious for kicking people out on a-level results day. Last year was a record with 20-25 people being forced to leave, out of about 90 students; though it is less than 15 people this year as far as I know :smile:

My sixth form will also use this opportunity to kick out people who they are not too fond of, even if they have perfectly reasonable grades eg BBBCD. Not particularly fair but I will applaud them for being resilient with the rules :P I must admit the largest casualty has been to boys to moved to our sixth form (all girls in the lower school) as they generally aren't as well behaved or dedicated as people who've attended the school for 5+ years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a bit corrupt, isn't it? Ha!

Do you know what any of them went on to do?
Original post by Lockton
That's a bit corrupt, isn't it? Ha!

Do you know what any of them went on to do?

I think most moved to other schools which were much less demanding (there's a non selective state school next door which lots end up transferring to) and some do apprenticeships :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lockton

Yep at my sixth we need 4 C's and above to be allowed into A2
I was kicked out of my secondary school's sixth form (after GCSE results)... not because I did badly, but because I was their top student and they thought I was "too bright" so they un-enrolled me without my consultation- what a nightmare that was! The school I ended up at for sixth form, despite being one of the best performers in Kent, doesn't really kick people out after bad AS results, even if they got 5 Us (yes, we were made to do 5 AS levels). If the student really wants to stay, then they're given the option of resitting the year and they can even completely change their subjects- but they can only do this once.
Reply 9
Original post by citibankrec
Yep at my sixth we need 4 C's and above to be allowed into A2

Had to have four did they?
Reply 10
Original post by ChemicalBond
I was kicked out of my secondary school's sixth form (after GCSE results)... not because I did badly, but because I was their top student and they thought I was "too bright" so they un-enrolled me without my consultation- what a nightmare that was! The school I ended up at for sixth form, despite being one of the best performers in Kent, doesn't really kick people out after bad AS results, even if they got 5 Us (yes, we were made to do 5 AS levels). If the student really wants to stay, then they're given the option of resitting the year and they can even completely change their subjects- but they can only do this once.

They let people continue with 5 Us. That's madness!
Original post by Lockton
Had to have four did they?

Yep.
Reply 12
Yep.

Blimey, a lot of people would struggle with that.
Original post by Lockton
Blimey, a lot of people would struggle with that.

4 C's?

I think we've lost 4
My 6th form would kick someone out if they got less than 3Ds
Original post by Lockton
They let people continue with 5 Us. That's madness!

Oh, I mean they didn't force them to leave the school like I know a lot of schools do, they were offered the option to resit the year if they wanted to :smile:
Reply 16
4 C's?

I think we've lost 4

Not at my school. There would be 10 times that number leaving if that was the cut of point!
Original post by Lockton
Not at my school. There would be 10 times that number leaving if that was the cut of point!

hahaha, i think its a good idea tbh.

weeds out the weak and the people who do not want to be there. If they struggled at AS it is surely going to be an uphill battle from sept.

Quick Reply

Latest