The Student Room Group

remark or not to remark...

SO basically, I got a B in my language exam and I just got my raw marks for the exam, and I'm 3 marks away from an A. Should I send it for a remark?

Thanks in advance
I'm pretty sure that you only get the ums marks but you should be able to check what mark that is on the aqa website. I think that it would be good to go for a remark because English is a subjective subject so there is a high chance that the mark will change so it's worth the risk really.
Should I bother getting two maths exams remarked when 80 ums was an a and I got 77 in one exam and 78 in another?
Reply 3
Original post by biryaniboyy
SO basically, I got a B in my language exam and I just got my raw marks for the exam, and I'm 3 marks away from an A. Should I send it for a remark?

Thanks in advance

Hi, I wouldn't recommend. This is because many people might say that marking is subjective and marks could easily change. However, the mark would only be changed if the difference was significant. I think it's by 6+ marks or something. Remarks have changed for this year to prevent bias. Hope this helps!
Remarks have changed this year. Whereas in past years, remarkers could add one or two marks to an overall paper under the cover of 'subjective marking', they are no longer allowed to do so. It is only if there is a major error in marking (e.g. an entirely different level/band) or there has been a clerical error.
Reply 5
I for one definitely think that remarking is worth it. With my experience last year, I was 3 marks off the next grade boundary, so I asked for a remark.
Turns out that they missed (get ready for it) 6 MARKS in my exam. Can you believe that an examiner could miss 6 marks? Absolutely disgusting.
Original post by ad4m
Hi, I wouldn't recommend. This is because many people might say that marking is subjective and marks could easily change. However, the mark would only be changed if the difference was significant. I think it's by 6+ marks or something. Remarks have changed for this year to prevent bias. Hope this helps!

But what? That's completely unfair isn't it? What if you're one mark off from the next grade?
Reply 7
Original post by TheNerdxP
But what? That's completely unfair isn't it? What if you're one mark off from the next grade?

In English, the subjective nature of the subject means that one examiner could give 16/20 and one could give 17/20. The mark here will not change overall because it is unfair to other candidates who had the harsh examiner.
Hi guys,

in all 3 of my sciences I was 3 marks from an A*. I'm happy with an A grade but as I want to go into medicine I was really hoping for the A* grades and I'm unsure whether to get them remarked

for chemistry I got 40 and need 43,to drop down to a B I would need to loose 5 marks

for biology I got 30 and need 33,to drop down a grade I would need to loose 4 marks

for physics I got 32 and need 36,this is 4 marks id need and I'm 9 marks away from a lower grade

do you think any of these are worth remarking?? I'm pretty happy with 3 A's but if an A* was possible that would be great

Quick Reply

Latest